NHL may cancel Winter Classic in November

Irishjim

Gary_Bettman_103118792.jpg

08:33 AM ET 09.24 | The annual tradition that has become the Winter Classic, this year between the Maple Leafs and Red Wings, is on the chopping block. A league source told the Star that, barring a settlement, commissioner Gary Bettman plans to cancel it in November -- to take away any advantage the players may have at the bargaining table because of the game's popularity. "Gary told (the board of governors) he was going to cancel the Winter Classic in November because he didn't want the players to use the game as leverage," the source said. A source close to the players said the NHLPA had heard the same thing. "It's a scare tactic," the union source said. "It just proves the NHL has no intention of negotiating any time soon."

The Star

If I was a Detroit fan I be POed beyond rational reason that 1) He is using the WC as a bargaining chip and 2) that the one year they are gonna have the WC all this rediculousness has to happen...

So if Gary does, indeed, decide to cancel the WC, do they then keep the same lineup for next season? (Assuming the NHL doesn't just implode during all of this :wacko: )

It's almost gotta be beyond the actual issues. There was so much momentum and so much at stake going forward. It just doesn't make sense. None of it adds up when you step back and look at it...

Agreed. I've been trying to make sense out of it for far too long now with zero success. My mind is just numb at the moment.

Well, who would do this? If you owned a rapidly growing business and a few factories were a drag then you would close those factories or relocate them to a competative market right. And you wouldn't shut down all your factories over a 1-2% dispute with labor...

Exactly, it's just not the way business normally works... which is why I've been pulling my hair out trying to make sense of it. Ego almost seems to be the only answer. But do you *really* risk so much solely for ego? Here I go again trying to think logically...

Well, you or I no... But if your a Bettman or Fehr then I could see it. They are both multi millionaires. It isn't about the money for them.

Bettman HATES to lose. Period. End of sentence. The problem is, he has come up against a guy that has done something no other Union Head has done for the NHLPA. Donald Fehr unified the Players. He did it by using the truth and communicating what Bettamn would do even before he did it. The Shock and Awe of Bettman's Bravado was taken in stride by the players who received a briefing from Fehr on everything to expect. If Gary still thinks he is running this show, he is sadly mistaken. Fehr has already used the social media to his advantage and has the backing of better than 80% of the public. How many articles have you read that favor the path chosen by Bettman? I bet you can count them on one hand, at least serious writers. One of the CBC guys wrote a book about negotiating with Gary Bettman when he was trying to keep the Hockey Night In Canada contract. Let's just say he is not a Gary Fan either........

@jammer2

I guess you never really know what you got until it's gone :( I cringe everytime I think that this may be another season without hockey! Looking at what happened with the NHL and the officials, I think there may have to be some major catalyst to get these guys off the dime! But what, they don't seem to care much about we fans :angry:

@jammer2

I guess you never really know what you got until it's gone :( I cringe everytime I think that this may be another season without hockey! Looking at what happened with the NHL and the officials, I think there may have to be some major catalyst to get these guys off the dime! But what, they don't seem to care much about we fans :angry:

You are the grass that the cattle are allowed to feed upon by the ranch hands that work for the "boss"...