Sheldon Keefe - maybe people CAN change

Guest flyercanuck

Sheldon Keefe will always be associated with hockey douchebag extraordinaire David Frost. He spent a lot of years along with Mike Jefferson (AKA Danton) being manipulated by this evil parasite. I watched both of them be incredibly good junior players here in Barrie, and incrediby bad citizens. Off the ice, they acted exactly how you'd NOT want your son to .

Danton became infamous after trying to hire a hitman to take out Frost (it's almost too bad he failed)

Keefe was a heck of a player, if a little on the small side. He averaged almost 2 points a game with the Colts and helped get the team to the Memorial Cup. They basically lived with Frost through their teen years and into adulthood when he became their agent. Both players seemed to have bright hockey futures ahead. Neither fulfilled those promises.

I heard Sheldon Keefe interviewed on the Fan590 a couple of days ago. He's now married, has kids. He's cut ties with Frost and Danton for many years now. He says he was a bad captain and a horrible teammate in junior. If you saw him play you'd find that hard to believe. If you heard the stories for all those years he was associated with that smarmy eel David Frost you'd find it easy to believe. He's been coaching in Pembroke Ontario for years, where his team won 5 league championships in a row and 1 Canadian title.

The Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the OHL just hired him as their new head coach. Considering the crap he raised while playing, you'd have to think the league did their due diligence before allowing this to happen He says he's done a lot of things he's not proud of. He was very open in his interview and didn't dodge any of the questions you'd think would have him squirming. He sounded like he was genuinely sorry for his behavior as a teenager and young adult. Sure sounded like the guy has finally grown up to me. I hope for everyone concerned, he has.

@flyercanuck first I must start off you're from Barrie, no kidding I'm from Innisfil. Secondly, it really is a shame that Keefe never became the player he looked like he could be, but it is great to hear that he is doing well. It's also a crying shame to see how Frost has completely screwed over the careers of 2 good guys. Danton is trying to get back in to hockey, but because of everything he has been through no one wants to take him on. Hope the best for both.

Go Colts Go!!

Danton is trying to get back in to hockey, but because of everything he has been through no one wants to take him on.

Actually, he played a year at SMU here in Halifax then got a gig in Europe and now playing in Sweden. Not the NHl but pro hockey nevertheless: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=60843

@flyercanuck first I must start off you're from Barrie, no kidding I'm from Innisfil. Secondly, it really is a shame that Keefe never became the player he looked like he could be, but it is great to hear that he is doing well. It's also a crying shame to see how Frost has completely screwed over the careers of 2 good guys. Danton is trying to get back in to hockey, but because of everything he has been through no one wants to take him on. Hope the best for both.

Go Colts Go!!

Hey neighbour!

Ya Keefe was one of the best Colts of alltime. You wonder what could have been with some normal guidance.

@flyercanuck I remember seeing Sheldon play, he had wicked on ice vision and anticapation. Not big enough though...kinda reminded me a bit of Bill Bowler (OHL all time leading scorer), wicked insticnt and tenacity, but size was always an issue. For every Danny Briere, there are 25 that don't make it. If you are that small and lack physicality, you must be a world class skater, and I don't think Sheldon was....he had moves, but the all out sheer speed was not there.

I've always felt bad for Mike Danton...it was a shame what he went through. Not condoning what he tried, but Frost was quite the loser. I'm all for second chances, but colour me very, very skeptical. This guy should not be around kids IMHO.

For every Danny Briere, there are 25 that don't make it.

When I played at Colorado College, there was a guy that was an enormous talent- perhaps the most skilled on our team. The only problem was that he was 5'7 170 lbs. His first step was enormous, but guys that were 6'2 (me) could gain on him on the 3rd and 4th step- just because of stride difference. Once gained or opposed, he was easy to push off the puck (I was 215 then). Of neither he or I advanced beyond Div 1 hockey, but to your point, it is enormously hard for a small stature player to make it all the way and I agree that 1-in-25 that play div 1 / junior hockey that are skilled will make it to the pros (any level).

@jammer2

Your analysis of Keefe is bang on. Great hockey smarts (amazing how poor his real world smarts were) and skill. His skating was fine, but like you said, if you lack size (which wouldn't be so much an issue now) you'd better have blazing speed. He didn't. As far as I know he has been nothing but a model citizen since he took over the Lumber Kings. I'm sure he's been living under a microscope and rightfully so. But I hear you about him being around kids..it's a scary thought.