Pens recall Beau Bennett

B21

Penguins promote former first-round pick

February 14, 2013 11:41 am

Read more: http://www.post-gaze.../#ixzz2KtiFSNNb

The Penguins today recalled winger Beau Bennett from their Wilkes-Barre/Scranton farm club. He could make his NHL debut as early as Friday night in a game at Winnipeg.

Bennett, 21 and a first-year pro, has 18 assists, 25 points in 35 American Hockey League games this season. He was a Penguins first-round draft pick in 2010.

Edited by B21

@B21 I have not seen a lot of Bennett, but from what I have read, he has enough size and grit to be an effecitive 3rd/4th liner until the top 6 chance pops up. Or maybe they just give the kid a legit shot and put him in the top 6 to start out. He does not appear to be one of those tweeners though, a skill guy that can't play a different game.

I drafted Bennett in my keeper pool a couple of years ago, but traded him and another prospect for Christ Stewart last fall. Knowing my luck, Bennett will tear up the NHL and score 50 goals next year playing the right side with Malkin and Cindy

@B21 I have not seen a lot of Bennett, but from what I have read, he has enough size and grit to be an effecitive 3rd/4th liner until the top 6 chance pops up. Or maybe they just give the kid a legit shot and put him in the top 6 to start out. He does not appear to be one of those tweeners though, a skill guy that can't play a different game.

I think he's getting the call up for an audition on a line with Malkin and Neal. Their 3rd and 4th lines are perfect; exactly what you want your 3rd and 4th lines to be. I wish Bylsma would just leave them be.

I drafted Bennett in my keeper pool a couple of years ago, but traded him and another prospect for Christ Stewart last fall. Knowing my luck, Bennett will tear up the NHL and score 50 goals next year playing the right side with Malkin and Cindy

Homer? Is that you?

• Like 2

Hopefully we can see what the kid can do tonight. I'm excited about him getting a shot. Just hope they're patient with him.

I thought the kid did OK. He made a couple of nice plays on the backcheck. I think the butterflies were there though. He missed on a couple of head man passes that looked to be right on his stick. I remember a mix up with Malkin when they almost collided coming across the blue line. Looks like Bylsma split his time between the Malkin line and Sutter line...probably becuase Cooke played so well in his turn on the Malkin line. All in all - not bad. Looking forward to seeing if the kid gets more comfortable and develops some chemistry on the Malkin line.

I thought the kid did OK. He made a couple of nice plays on the backcheck. I think the butterflies were there though. He missed on a couple of head man passes that looked to be right on his stick. I remember a mix up with Malkin when they almost collided coming across the blue line. Looks like Bylsma split his time between the Malkin line and Sutter line...probably becuase Cooke played so well in his turn on the Malkin line. All in all - not bad. Looking forward to seeing if the kid gets more comfortable and develops some chemistry on the Malkin line.

I didn't get to see the game as I'm in Cleveland coaching a youth tournament. Glad he looked ok in there. As time goes by he'll get more comfortable and up to speed I hope!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the Beau experiment is a success. He looks very sutible for the NHL with a goal and three helpers in his first nine games. More importantly, he looks comfortable and confident on the ice. I know its hard to think about breaking up the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line with their success this year, but I would love to see him with Sid and Koon. Malkin doesn't have the vision of Sid, and Beau has the willingness to go to those dirty areas, he should get rewarded.

@nossagog I'll be watching Bennet close tonight in their game against the Leafs, should be a electiric atmosphere, Sid's first game at the ACC in a few years due to injuries...game will be broadcast nationwide and I expect Sid will put on a show for the Canadian audience. Sure he will have lots of family and friends there = hat trick...calling it....4 point game for Sid tonight. 3 goals and 1 assist, but a 7-6 Leafs win.

@nossagog I'll be watching Bennet close tonight in their game against the Leafs, should be a electiric atmosphere, Sid's first game at the ACC in a few years due to injuries...game will be broadcast nationwide and I expect Sid will put on a show for the Canadian audience. Sure he will have lots of family and friends there = hat trick...calling it....4 point game for Sid tonight. 3 goals and 1 assist, but a 7-6 Leafs win.

Sid seems to be stuck on the three point thing lately, but man he's been close to a basket full. Hopefully tonight he can break the ceiling hard..

Hopefully Fleury lets in less than 6 though, he's making things too exciting.

Beau having a good first trip to Toronto, goal and and assist in the first.

Looks like they amended the scoring. Martin, Neal, Crosby and Dupuis now credited with the goals.

Still - have to be happy with what you see from the kid so far. Of course, now our farm system is once again devoid of any real wingers with NHL potential....unless you like Tom Kühnhackl.

I like alot of what I see, especially the vision. The 40 ft saucer pass to Malkin in the third period last night showed he's got great hands also. He works hard to get to the dirty areas too and uses his frame well. At 21, a few seasons of offseason strength training should add muscle and about 15 lbs of weight, and he could be a real horse out there.

Edited by nossagog
  • Like 1

@B21 ".unless you like Tom Kühnhackl"

I do, I'm a big fan of his. Tough, gritty European who plays a SOLID all round game. Great hands, a sure fire can't miss prospect in my mind. His positioning and skating and willingness to get down and dirty set him apart, so he can learn the game on the 3-4 lines and still end up in the top 6, which is exactly where he will fall in eventually. He's a star just waiting to happen.

• Like 1

Looks like they amended the scoring. Martin, Neal, Crosby and Dupuis now credited with the goals.

Still - have to be happy with what you see from the kid so far. Of course, now our farm system is once again devoid of any real wingers with NHL potential....unless you like Tom Kühnhackl.

Yeah, from an above angle you could see that he did not touch it. Good on for Martin through, he's finally playing the way that we expected.

@B21 ".unless you like Tom Kühnhackl"

I do, I'm a big fan of his. Tough, gritty European who plays a SOLID all round game. Great hands, a sure fire can't miss prospect in my mind. His positioning and skating and willingness to get down and dirty set him apart, so he can learn the game on the 3-4 lines and still end up in the top 6, which is exactly where he will fall in eventually. He's a star just waiting to happen.

Thanks for making me feel better. I was looking at his Hockey Futures ratings which were "OK". I do love the name of his German team....Landshut Cannibals.

@B21 I got a nice long look at Tom during the 2010-11 season, enough to really lean towards his skill set translating to the NHL....really, really like this kids game. If he does not turn out to be an impact player, I'd be shocked....but his low is really an effective 3-4 line guy, as far as I can see. Plus, the Pens will have a bit of a cap pickle coming up, so guys like Tom will get their shots, if for nothing else than cap relief.

• Like 1