Interesting Hartzell article

jammer2

Thought you Pens fans would enjoy this thought provoking article on your newest addition Hartzell, a good read.

http://thehockeywrit...signs-penguins/

If you have not seen this site, it has a ton of nice articles, they have some great writers and some real in depth stuff!

Good read. He makes a lot of sense, too. To add to what he said....Fleury has two years left after this season. He'll turn 30 during the final year of that contract. Not old but not a spring chicken either. As for the Pens' goaltending depth - I would disagree we are "loaded". Solid - yes. But loaded? Thiessen is already 27. Zatkoff is 25.

Zatkoff did have a pretty good year. 48 GP / 1.91 / .921. Thiessen regressed. 31 GP / 2.71 / .902. I think more than anything this is Shero thinking he has nothing to lose. I'm sure he'd be thrilled if he had to choose between Hartzell and Fleury in 2015.

@B21 My gut says Hartzell spends a year in the AHL, gets used to the speed of the pro game, and the following year breaks though as the back up, slowly grooming him to replace Fleury. Hard to intelligently comment having never seen him play, but just get the feeling he's a keeper. Those estimations could speed up real quck should last years playoff implosion happen again. But again, my gut says that was a one year anomaly.....and the this version of the Pens is much more sound defensively and has much more depth on the back end.

I also think there won't see a repeat of the constant flow of odd man rushes that crushed the Pens last year. Odd to say about a SC winning franchise tender, but this spring is really a make or break propositon for Fleruy and I think he will respond like the pro he is. At least a trip to the Conference final for you guys, which should shut up all the Fleruy detractors.

• Like 1

@B21 My gut says Hartzell spends a year in the AHL, gets used to the speed of the pro game, and the following year breaks though as the back up, slowly grooming him to replace Fleury. Hard to intelligently comment having never seen him play, but just get the feeling he's a keeper. Those estimations could speed up real quck should last years playoff implosion happen again. But again, my gut says that was a one year anomaly.....and the this version of the Pens is much more sound defensively and has much more depth on the back end.

I also think there won't see a repeat of the constant flow of odd man rushes that crushed the Pens last year. Odd to say about a SC winning franchise tender, but this spring is really a make or break propositon for Fleruy and I think he will respond like the pro he is. At least a trip to the Conference final for you guys, which should shut up all the Fleruy detractors.

Agree. Vokoun's deal is up after next season so the timing is perfect. 1 year in the AHL. 1 year as Fleury's understudy and then....see what happens.

I also could not agree more that this is a big year for Fleury. He needs to play well however far the Pens make it. If they get upset in the 1st round but he has a 1.25 GAA with a .950 save percentage I won't kill him. Ditto if he carries them to the finals and then has a less than stellar series.

Like I said - I almos think Shero wants to have a decision to make in 2015 which would mean both of them have played well.

I don't know much about Zatkoff but he could also be a nice monkey wrench in the mix, too.

Thiessen is UFA after this season. His days could be numbered.

Good read. He makes a lot of sense, too. To add to what he said....Fleury has two years left after this season. He'll turn 30 during the final year of that contract. Not old but not a spring chicken either. As for the Pens' goaltending depth - I would disagree we are "loaded". Solid - yes. But loaded? Thiessen is already 27. Zatkoff is 25.

Zatkoff did have a pretty good year. 48 GP / 1.91 / .921. Thiessen regressed. 31 GP / 2.71 / .902. I think more than anything this is Shero thinking he has nothing to lose. I'm sure he'd be thrilled if he had to choose between Hartzell and Fleury in 2015.

In goalie years that's 22 and 20.