Would trading our 1st and a combo

pensuck

@doom88. That is not what I meant. If your gm of the team with the number five pick would you take coby and our 1st in e change for your pick? I wouldn't.

Depending on how the team, I could see that as possible. Coburn, despite the on and off hate from fans, is a very solid, large, and mobile defenseman who is only 28. Moving down maybe ten spots and picking up a #2 defeseman who is viable for at least five more years is a pretty sweet deal I woud think. It really depends on the team's needs in the present and direction of their future. If they are at 4, and not as high on Nurse, that deal should do it. If the team picks 5 and Nurse is gone as well, it makes even more potential sense.

Hard to say.

@doom88. That is not what I meant. If your gm of the team with the number five pick would you take coby and our 1st in e change for your pick? I wouldn't.

I think edmonton might take that deal. They really need a big D man and have made it known that they could move their pick this year. If they could get a guy like coburn and only lose a couple of spots.

I say they would do it.

Agreed, Edmonton has to be tired of high draft picks, and really looking for roster players. They may hold out for more than one, though. I wouldn't be too shocked if getting a later first as part of the wasn't a requirement. Coburn, couturier, Talbot? And a second? 2 seconds, maybe, instead of Talbot? Next year's first? Edmonton needs something that gives them something that can work with the kids they have right now.

So we trade Coburn and our 1st in hopes that the defenceman we get ends up being better than Coburn? What in 5 years? 7 years? Coburn was the 2nd defenceman taken in what was likely the best draft in NHL history. There are no guarantees that Jones or Nurse or anyone else will be better. You'd like to think so. But a lot of people thought Coburn was going to be something that year. Or Cam Barker or Jack Johnson when they went 3rd overall. Or Eric Johnson when he went 1st overall. Heck you could do that and a defenceman taken where we pick might end up being the best in the draft.

Trading from weakness isn't helping the team.

Trading from weakness isn't helping the team.

-BINGO! This is exactly the approach the Flyers need to take with the draft, FA and the trade market. Keep the youth together unless there is a deal that comes across that you can not pass up - a true #1 defender (not Yandle). I just hope the Flyers dont approach this offseason in panic mode and start making those mystical "Homer/Clarke-esque" trades...