Pens 'n Sens... Game 2... tonight at 7:30

Guest Polaris922

So will we see more of the same? Vokoun has been lights out in playoff games. Will the Pens be as dominant as the first game? I know the Sens out shot us in game 1 but the ice seemed tilted our way every minute that wasn't a penalty kill, and thanks to Duper, even one of those.

Go Pens!

So will we see more of the same? Vokoun has been lights out in playoff games. Will the Pens be as dominant as the first game? I know the Sens out shot us in game 1 but the ice seemed tilted our way every minute that wasn't a penalty kill, and thanks to Duper, even one of those.

Go Pens!

I wouldn't say Vokoun has been lights out, he's had some puck handling problems, but he's been quite sufficient, and is getting better as he plays more. He's looking more the starting goaltender that he was, and not the backup that he became.

I hope that Bylsma is ready for in game adjustments, because you know that the Senators will through a few new wrinkles. Coach Dan has never been one to quickly adjust.

Pens need to stay out of the box though. Yes the Senators put up a donut on the PP last game, but it looked dangerous, and they missed a few open nets. We cannot expect that to continue.

The Pens should also expect to put up with an increase in physical play, an respond in kind legally. Malkin and Neal must be talked to prior to the game, and told NOT to respond to the crap after the whistle. No need, and again, they need to stay out of the box.

@nossagog

I've felt Vokoun has been stellar his three games so far. Granted game 1 of this series he did fumble things around and wasn't perfect, but he DID rebound well from giving up a bad goal and for the most part shut the door on all but a few chances. The defense responded well in front of him and though there were some pucks laying about, they beat the Sens to them. I can think of one particular open net the Sens just missed the cage on, but most games surrender one of two opportunities.

I suppose if I'd break it down game by game...

Game 5 vs Isles : A+

Game 6 vs Isles: B

Game 1 vs Sens: B+

Any way you break it down he's been good. I'm thinking the Pens win tonight 3-2.

My concern tonight is we don't match the Sens intensity, as we did not for game 2 against the Isles. That was what gave the Isles all the confidence in the world.

For tonight especially, we need the puck deep in the Sens zone, and we need to use the body hard.

Also looks like Sid will be reunited with Kunitz and Dupuis. That line needs to get the cycle going and make the Sens chase.

Not sure what to expect from Malkin with Neal and Iginla, but Iginla needs to be more visible. Yep he's getting points, but I want to see him DOMINATE offensively, not sit back and wait for stuff to happen.

I want to see the whole team swarming like killer bee's tonight. Not sitting back reacting to what the Senators do.

• Like 1

Go Pens!

I think Ottawa comes out guns blazing. If we can weather that storm, I can see the Pens flexing their muscles in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

If they throw everything and the kitcehn sink at us and it's 1-1 after 1 period, I think we take it.

I much prefer Iginla with Crosby but Bylsma seems to think two right wings with Malkin is better than one. I think the Sens will come out on fire tonight... and hope the Pens can match the physical play to turn the tide and take the game. I think Morrow needs to be a physical presence tonight, as do Orpik and Murray. The Sens are making a big noise about Latendresse dressing in place of maybe Gryba... saying they need a physical spark, but in my experience you don't move to a smaller guy for increased physicality unless the guy is known to bring it... Latendresse isn't that guy. Posturing? Either way the Pens needs to bring their A game to demoralize the Sens tonight.

I much prefer Iginla with Crosby but Bylsma seems to think two right wings with Malkin is better than one. I think the Sens will come out on fire tonight... and hope the Pens can match the physical play to turn the tide and take the game. I think Morrow needs to be a physical presence tonight, as do Orpik and Murray. The Sens are making a big noise about Latendresse dressing in place of maybe Gryba... saying they need a physical spark, but in my experience you don't move to a smaller guy for increased physicality unless the guy is known to bring it... Latendresse isn't that guy. Posturing? Either way the Pens needs to bring their A game to demoralize the Sens tonight.

Coach speak there, here, I'll translate. "Gryba hasn't been in practice the past two days because he had a little too much Free Candy, from Brooks Orpik in game one. Lattendresse is our second choice."

Honestly, do coaches think that the other team, and the fans, don't monitor their practices and such???

Does it make sense now?

Edited by nossagog

Coach speak there, here, I'll translate. "Gryba hasn't been in practice the past two days because he had a little too much Free Candy, from Brooks Orpik in game one. Lattendresse is our second choice."

Honestly, do coaches think that the other team, and the fans, don't monitor their practices and such???

Does it make sense now?

It was apparent Gryba wasn't well after that hit. I just thought the posturing was humorous. "You didn't do that, we CHOSE to do that".

@Polaris922 Pens are really impressing me during this Sens series. The fact they had so much trouble eliminating the Isles is more of a compliament to the the NYI than any problem with the Pens.....this team is stacked, I don't see anyone in the East taking them out as it stands right now. Gotta think they might lean towards drafting Furcale in the 1st round, one of the only thing this team needs is a young stud goalie....and maybe some depth at the wings.

• Like 1

Karlsson is horrible tonight. Crosby scores through him twice, now burnt trying to play the puck with a skate and forced to take a seat for two.

Crosby = hat trick

Edited by Polaris922

Thought he might even up the Orpik call with his antics. He had no clue there was a penalty called and acted like his usual self.

Shame Iginla blew that two on one. Shoulda been a goal all the way.

Engblom is an absolute moron.

Great game there. Probably the shakiest of the games for Vokoun, no clue why he was so far out ot the net on the third Sens goal. I loved how they stayed for the most part away from the Neil crap. Let him go, he's of no danger on the ice, let him give us more Power Plays.

Cudo's to Sid on the hatty, he was flying out there.

Also, too many great scoring chances that they let slip by. Iginla, Malkin, Neal all should have had easy goals if they just would have up the puck high instead of just steering the puck. They all had loads of time for the shots.

I still think Iginla needs moved to Crosby's line. He looks out of sorts. I don't care if he says he's comfortable on the left. He's struggling tonight.

Problem is look at how domininent the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line was cycling the puck in the offensive zone.

@nossagog

That's what I saw too... It was like they just weren't comfortable enough to do what they can do. I understand about the Kunitz/Dupuis argument but honestly... They do just as well with Iginla/Dupuis on Crosby and Neal/Kunitz on Malkin.

Just would like both lines to click, so to speak.

Six power plays - a couple of the ticky tack variety - vs. two. 'Nuff said about that.

On a related note, if Crosby isn't wearing that giant face shield, that high stick doesn't make contact. But since he is, he's pretty well protected. From naked melons, to helmets, to helmets with visors to full Arthurian type head gear. Do you think that is the future of the NHL? If players keep on targeting each others heads, it just might be.

Six power plays - a couple of the ticky tack variety - vs. two. 'Nuff said about that.

On a related note, if Crosby isn't wearing that giant face shield, that high stick doesn't make contact. But since he is, he's pretty well protected. From naked melons, to helmets, to helmets with visors to full Arthurian type head gear. Do you think that is the future of the NHL? If players keep on targeting each others heads, it just might be.

Yep, you're right, nuff said, Ottawa has to play more disciplined hockey. But you have to tell me which were ticky tacky.

You're probably right on the helmet, but is more of the jaw protecter than the rest of the helmet. The players that have had these due to injuries, like Crosby, really don't like them as they can't see the puck well when it is in their feet. I'm not sure that else can be done for head gear. You can protect for heads hitting boards, but I'm not sure what you can do for headgear to protect heads from the violent mid ice collisions.

Edited by nossagog

Ottawa was majorly out of control. The officials actually let the Sens get away with a lot despite the 6 power plays. Kunitz and Orpic took sticks to the mouth that bled them early on. I give big credit to the Pens for not degenerating into the issues of last season's Pens/Flyers series. They're playing pretty disciplined.

I didn't see any ticky tacky calls I can think of. Some people complained that Malkin "dove" but that's crap. He gets nailed between the numbers into the boards... Something they've called all year and called against Orpik later in the game.