I want to believe...

yave1964

Wings won last night 3-1 putting them up in their series two games to one.

Like most everyone else I thought the Hawks would make short work of the Wings, I picked the Hawks in five myself. Heck, the Hawks swept the Wings four straight in the regular season.

Now it is a series, the Wings have the Hawks looking flustered, even Captain serious himself lost his cool last night. Bickell, Keith and Shaw were completely off their game. As a Wings fan, it was wonderful.

Now the series is reminding me more and more of the Senators/Canadiens series from the last round, the favorite has lost its composure, seems unsure of themselves and momentum has completely swung the other way. The Wings are contesting every inch of ice, and if you have the puck on your stick the wings check you in to the ice. And how sweet it is to have a hot goalie.

We have lost a LOT of series like this over the years, The Kings in 2001, the ducks in 2003, the Oilers in 2006, teams that had no business being on the ice with us who stuck it up our rear. Now it looks like the shoe is on the other foot.

If the Wings win we will still have to get past the Sharks, who always knock us out or the Kings who are defending champs. If by some miracle that happens, the Bruins or those @#@#$# Penguins likely loom. But today, right now, I am just relishing in the fact that the wings are hanging in there with the number one seed.

If we lose, we were supposed to, anyway, heck we weren't even supposed to be there, it took four wins in a row at the end of the regular season just to make it in, it took knocking off a two seed in seven hard fought games, and now up two to one. As a matter of fact, in the last 14 games, all must win, the Wings have went a remarkable 10-4. Babcock has done his best coaching job to date this year, this sows ear has turned in to a silk purse.

That is what is killing me, there were times I BELIEVED, I knew we would beat the Sharks in 2010 and then again in 2011, I KNEW we would take the ducks in 2007 with only a very beatable Senators team between us and the cup, many, many times I believed the Wings were on their way to a deep playoff run or a cup only to be broken hearted.

This year from day one, I said they did not have what it took to even come close to where we are now. I screamed and held my breath when Abdelkader, who had one goal in the first half got moved to the top line with Datsyuk only to watch him develop confidence and turn in to the new Holmstrom, I whined about not trading for a sniper and another blueliner as Holland refused to part with a prospect or picks for a rental or cap busting player, only to watch Franzen remember he is a stud in big games, first down the stretch then in the post season, and Colaiacovo after returning to the lineup being the veteran calming force that we desperately needed. I cursed Holland and Babcock all year long.

I repent. Please forgive me, I will never doubt that you two know the best course for this club again.

I believe.

@yave1964

Told ya!! ;)

Okay, okay I owe you a beer or a soda, lol.

The nice thing is going forward we have Filpulla and a couple of easily replaced forwards (Miller, Cleary and Eaves)and Ian White as UFAs, very workable with lots of cap space, we should be in position to make a move or two in the offseason to acquire the much needed top four defensemen and a sniper, plus still resign who we want to keep. The Wings didn't panic (I did) and are now playing with house money against the Hawks and will be set up to kick butt and take names when we move to the East next year.

@yave1964 Ian White is gone. Eaves is trade bait, but I can't ever see Holland parting ways with Cleary, Filppula, or Miller. If you're still looking for a Top 4 defense, maybe you should reevaluate the need. The Red Wings have been outstanding on defense lately, which of course goes to the full effort the entire team has been giving. I agree with a sniper/power forward. Those kind of players are out there, and the Wings certainly have the money to get one or two of them. But if they get a Top 4 defender, who do you move? Kindl? Send Brendan Smith or Danny DeKeyeser (back) to Grand Rapids? Colaiacovo is proving himself this past week, and still has a year left on his contract.

I think if the Wings can pack a bit more scoring depth into their lines, their need for an increased blueline will be that much less. I still have my eye on Franzen though...$4MM a year until 2020? Sounds comfy.....

And I'll take a beer please. Something tall, cold, and Canadian.

Edited by WingNut722

@yave1964 Ian White is gone. Eaves is trade bait, but I can't ever see Holland parting ways with Cleary, Filppula, or Miller. If you're still looking for a Top 4 defense, maybe you should reevaluate the need. The Red Wings have been outstanding on defense lately, which of course goes to the full effort the entire team has been giving. I agree with a sniper/power forward. Those kind of players are out there, and the Wings certainly have the money to get one or two of them. But if they get a Top 4 defender, who do you move? Kindl? Send Brendan Smith or Danny DeKeyeser (back) to Grand Rapids? Colaiacovo is proving himself this past week, and still has a year left on his contract.

I think if the Wings can pack a bit more scoring depth into their lines, their need for an increased blueline will be that much less. I still have my eye on Franzen though...$4MM a year until 2020? Sounds comfy.....

And I'll take a beer please. Something tall, cold, and Canadian.

Defensively,

Kronwall is solid as can be

Ericsson has turned in to a solid top four

Kindl has impressed and exceeded anyones expectations

Smith, Meh, not so much but a year under his belt will make him better. Still a top prospect

Quincey Changed his game to a shut down defensemen. plus seven, tough minutes. Enough said.

Colaiacovo When healthy everything expected and more

Dekeyser The future

Lashoff Well, nobody is perfect. Second pair blueliner in Grand Rapids.

And speaking of Grand Rapids, Almquist is a top four waiting to happen, I went to a game in Cleveland earlier this year in which he scored a hat trick. Chad Billins is also developing nicely, 10 goals while running the point. Ryan Sproul and Xavier Oullet are a few years away but are future NHLers.

So yeah, we have quality depth on the blue line, I still feel we need a top four blueliner to run the point, Kindl is a bit out of his element on the power play and Smith may be the answer but he looked lost there this year. If we don't get one, we are still solid on the blue line so I wont complain. Our biggest need is a sniper.

Here is one for you, the Hawks are rumored to be very interested in using an amnesty buyout on Hossa, his contract pays him until he is 43 and they have a ton of young talent coming up in the forward ranks. How nice would it be to see Hossa back with the winged wheel?

Here is one for you, the Hawks are rumored to be very interested in using an amnesty buyout on Hossa, his contract pays him until he is 43 and they have a ton of young talent coming up in the forward ranks. How nice would it be to see Hossa back with the winged wheel?

Hmmm...I have two ways to answer that. The "quintessential" fan in me says absolutely yes. Without a doubt. If the rumors about Pavel Datsyuk leaving for Russia after next season are true, then Hossa would be a very capable substitute. However, the "sentimental" fan in me says maybe not. Hossa was here for a year and made no attempt to hide the fact that he was only there for hardware. I kinda feel that a player should be on the team due to a deep and healthy respect for the team, and not just use it as a springboard to a better chance at winning a Cup.

Edited by WingNut722

@yave1964 "The nice thing is going forward we have Filpulla and a couple of easily replaced forwards (Miller, Cleary and Eaves)"

I honestly believe Filpulla has played his last game as a Wing. I call this guy Mr.Sofite. Very inconsistant all over the ice. He gets his points, but the effort is lacking on a nightly basis.

Clearly is flat out playing the best hockey of his career. He was HUGE in the playoffs, I don't think he is easily replaceable at all, he's a necessity on the Wings IMHO.

• Like 1

@jammer2

I don't think they'd give up on Filppula so easily. With some of the other forwards better trade material (like Eaves), and some of the younger guys who can still benefit from time in the minors (Andersson), I think Filppula will be offered a one- or two-year contract with the proviso that he step it up. Others are certainly waiting, but FIlppula has been a solid and dedicated member of this team. Holland sees that and appreciates it. They won't give up on him so easily.