Messier the next Rangers Coach?

Guest hf101

According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos both the Great one and Messier have interest in becoming the Rangers next coach.

I'm not so sure about Gretzky returning to coaching, but Messier has always been a well known leader. He hasn't really had a lot for coaching experience but pair him with a experienced assistants and maybe Messier would be a good choice?

I don't recall Messier having any coaching experience. But it's the Rangers, and if Sather can keep his job that long, theres nothing stopping a guy with zero coaching experience being their next head coach.

@flyercanuck

yeh, not much. Messier is probably more on track to take Sather's job. As stated in the article he did coach Team Canada to two podium finishes in 2010 — a third place in the Deutschland Cup and a runner-up spot in the Spengler Cup.

not that ANYONE would actually remember that. ;)

IMHO, I can't think of any good reason to hire Messier. It might look good for PR reasons, but Rangers don't need any hype.

I heard a good quote the other day. When Sather was running the Oilers, he said that if he was GM in New York, he'd win the Stanley Cup every year.

IMHO, I can't think of any good reason to hire Messier. It might look good for PR reasons, but Rangers don't need any hype.

I heard a good quote the other day. When Sather was running the Oilers, he said that if he was GM in New York, he'd win the Stanley Cup every year.

haha, Awesome quote blocker. Well the test will be..... can Sather say No to Messier??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think hiring Messier to coach with no league-coaching experience would be a mistake (I put "league-coaching" to distinguish between coaching a tournament and coaching a team through a season and a playoffs. It doesn't have to be NHL necessarily, but it should be a season + playoffs somewhere).

I kind of get the PR thing, but even the PR thing backfires in a horrific way when the experiment ultimately, and predictably, fails and the Rangers are in a position of having to fire the guy that captained them to their only Cup since the Council at Nicaea.

• 2 weeks later...

The team announced Messier was leaving the Rangers to pursue another interest in the New York City area. Messier’s statement painted out what his new job will entail.

“I would like to thank the New York Rangers and particularly Glen Sather for giving me the opportunity over the last four years to work with the Rangers. I am resigning my position with the Team to pursue an opportunity to expand the game of hockey in the New York area by developing the Kingsbridge National Ice Center. Although some will perceive this as a reaction to the coaching decision, nothing could be further from the truth. I completely respect the decision that was made and for all the reasons it was made. I harbor no hard feelings toward Glen or the Rangers. This is a personal choice I am making to create a program in the New York area that will give our children more choices and opportunities in the future. I wish the Rangers nothing but the best in the future.”

Messier beat us to the punch. The former Rangers captain was “very disappointed” at not being named coach of the Rangers. It is rather convenient, however, that Messier has this opportunity to work with the Kingsbridge National Ice Center in spite of being in the hunt for the Rangers head coaching job that he was passed over in favor of Alain Vigneault.

Rangers GM Glen Sather had a statement on this as well.

“Mark Messier will always be a part of the New York Rangers family. As a player and then as part of the management team, he brought incomparable passion and dedication to the organization. We wish him well in his future endeavors.”

source

to pursue an opportunity to expand the game of hockey in the New York area by developing the Kingsbridge National Ice Center. Although some

In other words, he's happy to do the same stuff that most of us Dads do for free, instead of being coach of the Rangers.

Right.

And, I'm going to flap my arms and fly to the moon.

• Like 1