Seguin for Eriksson Trade

Guest hf101

The trade is apparently in the works. Other parts are reported to be involved in the deal.

Seguin begins a 6 year contract next season with a cap hit of 5.75M. Loui Eriksson is currently has 3 years remaining with a cap hit of 4.25M

Other than a salary dump I think the Bruins are giving up too early on Seguin.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426938

Edit: The Bruins traded Tyler Seguin, Rich Peverley and Ryan Button to the Stars in exchange for Loui Eriksson, Joe Morrow, Reilly Smith, and Matt Fraser.

Edited by hf101
added full trade

just as an aside... can we KEEP this thread in the Flyers forum? one thing i miss about the old forum is that we could talk about anything within our Flyer's forum. It's been kinda bummin me out about this new incantation of our beloved forum.

moved and merged to the "Rumors and Trades" forum

just as an aside... can we KEEP this thread in the Flyers forum? one thing i miss about the old forum is that we could talk about anything within our Flyer's forum. It's been kinda bummin me out about this new incantation of our beloved forum.

this isn't philly.com anymore... we are a forum with fans from many NHL teams and this is a subject that is not Flyer related.

the trade makes more sense now.....

The two right-handed centers are exactly what the Stars need, as they have shed top-line centers Brad Richards, Mike Ribeiro and Derek Roy in recent years and are hoping to move their No. 1 center Jamie Benn back to left wing. Stars GM Jim Nill said on Tuesday after the Stars’ pursuit of free agent center Vincent Lecavalier ended fruitlessly that he still was hoping to acquire two centers in order to move Benn back.

“That’s my thinking. I believe that’s his natural position,” Nill said.

Seguin would go a long way to making that wish come true. Listed at 6-1, 182, Seguin is a fast skater, a skilled puck handler and a right-handed shot. He has been playing almost exclusively on the wing because of Boston’s depth at center, so he would get a chance to return to his natural position, as well. While the loss of Eriksson would be a serious blow for the Stars, it would open the door for players like Alex Chiasson, Brett Ritchie or Valeri Nichushkin to play in the top six or would create an opportunity for a veteran like Erik Cole to step up.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/07/stars-complete-blockbuster-trade-that-brings-centers-tyler-seguin-and-rich-peverley-from-boston.html/

@hf101 The only reason I can see Boston giving up on him so early is the degenerative hip rumor is true. This kid will be a legit star someday based on his skill set, so the Bruins had to be worried about the hip. Loui is a great veteran addition, a ppg guy at the least, but Seguin, they don't know what this kid can turn into, so it was to early, in my humble projections to give up on him. Did Seguin fill the net during the playoffs, no...he was snakebit, but he was working hard, very hard...and was more importantly showing he can make decisons at high speed, a very important skill that sets apart plumbers from stars. Fiddler is an interchangaeable part, a checker who can be replaced my many, many players, ditto for Eakins.

EDIT, just saw Joe Morrow was included, that makes this deal a lot more even. He's a fine young d-man, and will go a long ways in replacing Ferrence eventually.

Edited by jammer2

@hf101 The only reason I can see Boston giving up on him so early is the degenerative hip rumor is true. This kid will be a legit star someday based on his skill set, so the Bruins had to be worried about the hip. Loui is a great veteran addition, a ppg guy at the least, but Seguin, they don't know what this kid can turn into, so it was to early, in my humble projections to give up on him. Did Seguin fill the net during the playoffs, no...he was snakebit, but he was working hard, very hard...and was more importantly showing he can make decisons at high speed, a very important skill that sets apart plumbers from stars. Fiddler is an interchangaeable part, a checker who can be replaced my many, many players, ditto for Eakins.

Possibly he just didn't adjust to playing wing that well......ie Danny Briere. Good for him though he has a chance to become a #1 center. I expect Dallas to try to acquire another Centerman as a FA. Fillipula would fit in well there.

edit: or maybe Ribero returns.