All Time: Top 5 Goaltenders ever

Guest J0e Th0rnton

@J0e Th0rnton Wow, forgot all about Trotts, but would not put him ahead of Clarke anyways, as great as Bryan was. I might be a bit biased towards Stevie Y, just a huge fan of his. It's easier to compare the defensive work than the pt totals because when Federov and Stevie played, the league was pretty watered down at that point. It's probably fair to say when Clarke was doing it in the more defensive minded seventies AND putting up those 100 pt years, well, that was pretty damn impressive. 100 pts in the seventes meant a lot more than the 80's and 90's when relative no names like Blaine Stoughton and Al Secord were putting up 50 goal season...ha ha, still get a chuckle out of those 2 getting 50...no disrepect meant, just did not see them as legit scorers, the fact they hit the 50 plateau is a statement to just how watered down the product was in the eighties and early ninties.

• 5 weeks later...

He's certainly not one of the best goalies ever, but Ron Tugnutt played some spectacular nights. Seemed as if he was at his best when peppered with shots.

At one time, Cheevers was the richest athlete in the US. His wealth came from investing in racehorses. He liked race tracks and bars. Some reporter compared his lifestyle to the academic world of Ken Dryden. Cheevers said that there wasn't much likelihood of them bumping into each other off the ice.

My recollection of those days (the '70s) is that a lot of people believed Kharlamov was the 2nd best player in the world, after Orr. And I think most people considered Tretiak to be the best goalie in the world at that time.

One comment about Dryden- he played on some incredible teams, true. But the first Cup they won with him in '71 was an upset. That team was not particularly "stacked", they were heavy underdogs against the Bruins and the Hawks were probably favored in the finals as well. Dryden almost single handedly beat the Bruins, Phil Esposito famously called him a "giraffe" because he was so big and his arms and legs seemed to be everywhere.

I was only six in 71, but I have re-watched that series, you're recollection of it matches mine pretty closely. I might be barking up the wrong tree, but was Dryden's 71 win the first time a rookie tender won the cup?

• 4 weeks later...