The Florida Panthers Really Packed 'Em In For Their Preseason Opener

Guest Habsterix

LOL!  I saw this yesterday on TSNs facebook page.  

We were guessing somewhere between 50 and 80 people in the shoutbox yesterday but that may be generous.  I'd love to see an actual count.

I wonder why they scheduled it during the afternoon on a Monday, though.   They may have broken 100 if they'd played at night.

Yet, they'll talk expansion...

It's really unfortunate that you have a commisionner who is building the foundation of its league on lies, deception... on sand, really. If he truly worked for the good of the game, he should stop the boys' club he has sitting at the Board of Governors and start making decisions that will make sense. Stop the gimmicks ala "skills competition to end games", thinking it will draw fans, and attack the true problems :

1. Have a US TV deal that's worth while, not just in the playoffs if/when they feel like it.
  2. Instate a program of marketing in the markets where he shouldn't have expanded to start with, in order to save those franchises.Afterall, it would be cheaper than running franchises like the Coyotes losing millions upon millions each year.
  3. Relocate struggling franchises in traditionnal hockey markets, where hockey matters. Those are solid grounds to build upon. Then look at expansion, but not too much at a time!
  4. Stop with the gimmicks. No more shoutout, no more instigator rule as we know it, be consistent with suspensions, fringe players or star players being punished the same way and get rid of the two referee system on the ice, too many are incompetent.
  5. Any new arena being built should be Olympic size.

That'd be just a start!

I feel for Dale Tallon who, in my opinion, is doing an excellent job at building this team the right way, through draft and young players, and for his hockey staff.

• Like 1

Yes Gary, the NHL is doing excellent.

Article with photos...

:rolleyes:

That my friend is sad...please move that team and give it to a city that will actually enjoy it and grow the sport...hell give it to Seattle if not put somewhere in Canada...it's just not fare to hungry fans whom want a team to pull for.

Yet, they'll talk expansion...

It's really unfortunate that you have a commisionner who is building the foundation of its league on lies, deception... on sand, really. If he truly worked for the good of the game, he should stop the boys' club he has sitting at the Board of Governors and start making decisions that will make sense. Stop the gimmicks ala "skills competition to end games", thinking it will draw fans, and attack the true problems :

1. Have a US TV deal that's worth while, not just in the playoffs if/when they feel like it.
  2. Instate a program of marketing in the markets where he shouldn't have expanded to start with, in order to save those franchises.Afterall, it would be cheaper than running franchises like the Coyotes losing millions upon millions each year.
  3. Relocate struggling franchises in traditionnal hockey markets, where hockey matters. Those are solid grounds to build upon. Then look at expansion, but not too much at a time!
  4. Stop with the gimmicks. No more shoutout, no more instigator rule as we know it, be consistent with suspensions, fringe players or star players being punished the same way and get rid of the two referee system on the ice, too many are incompetent.
  5. Any new arena being built should be Olympic size.

That'd be just a start!

I feel for Dale Tallon who, in my opinion, is doing an excellent job at building this team the right way, through draft and young players, and for his hockey staff.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Bettman has overstayed his welcome and has been doing more harm than good for a while now...

• Like 1

@Habsterix  "

I feel for Dale Tallon who, in my opinion, is doing an excellent job at building this team the right way, through draft and young players, and for his hockey staff."

HERE, HERE!!!  Big Tallon fan and if he is given enough time, will mold that mess of a team into contenders eventually!!

Just wondering how many of you would have been at a Monday afternoon (2:30PM) preseason split-squad game in September? Or even could have been.

I'm thinking: "not many"

Team explained they have done a split-squad "twi-night doubleheader" with the Preds the past few years to be able to get a gauge on their entire roster in actual play conditions on the same day.

To be clear, I think hockey in Miami is a freaking stupid idea, but I'll give them something of a "pass" on this embarassment.