Colt Hockey - Thoughts?

goleafsgo

Hello all,
I came across a Kickstarter campaign for a newly founded hockey company in Canada called COLT hockey. 

There story is that they have engineered a new hockey stick using the standard composites in the game today but the difference is that they apply a "nano-metal" to the blade and 18"-24" inches up the shaft (hack/slash zone) in hopes that the stick will last longer and won't catastrophically fail during game play use and crucial moments. 

I actually backed this project in hopes of receiving a stick (as long as there kickstarter goal of 75K is met) - I have been playing hockey since i was a kid and the one problem i've had with composite sticks since there take over in the hockey market is how often they break - i think if this campaign is successful theres a good chance we may be able to see the hockey world take a step forward!

What are your thoughts? Concerns? 

Here is the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/colthockey/the-colt-engineering-a-better-hockey-stick

@goleafsgo  I have heard of this, saw it on the news. I was gonna post the same thing myself. It's a very worthwhile project cause it can save single parents and families that can't afford a 100-200 dollar stick everytime little Johnny breaks one for what ever reason. I didn't invest or anything, but think it's a cool idea.

And I thought someone else on here was actually a Barrie Colt fan!

I can't imagine paying upwards of $200 for a stick for your kid only to see it explode after one or two games. If they can make one that lasts, great. But what does 'fair price" mean? $150? $500? Like I said, I'd like to see the game get a little bit more affordable for more families. I think the price of composite sticks have taken a lot of kids out of the game.

@jammer2 - Agreed, the concept and idea look promising it comes down to wether the product will do what it says or not but as long as they're teading towards the goal of an unbreakable stick, i think its a company headed in the right direction for the sport.

@flyercanuck - Problem is, Elite-Composite sticks are valued in Canada from $250 - $400 ... Some prices are ridiculous considering regardless the price you spend on the stick, it will inevitably have the same duration as a stick priced between $70-$150 (not to mention if an expensive one is on sale). I think paying a competitive price but gaining duration and endurance out of the product is a boost and a shed of light on the future of hockey for all ages. 

@goleafsgo

I have a composite stick that is "dead" but can't throw it out because it is still intact. Every once in awhile I'll try it but I get about 20% (I admit that's just a guess) less power behind a shot with it than another exactly the same. But I just can't bring myself to throw it out.

Guess I'll give it to one of the kids on the street for road hockey.

@flyercanuck  Some people keep their old sticks and make a bench out of it. I've seen a few of these and they look really cool if done right. A lot of history and memories in those sticks, so it's a good way to make use of them and avoid the problem of tossing out what once meant a lot.

@jammer2

I was at a party in Toronto  years ago and the guy had finished his entire (from the stairs on down) basement in hockey sticks. He went around to all the rinks in the GTA collecting broken sticks...sanded them stained and varathaned. It looked awesome and I'd never have known unless he told me that it was all hockey sticks. I'm talking floor, bar, stairs,walls, everything.