Blues Sign Morrow to One-Year Deal

Guest AlaskaFlyerFan

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=432569

UFA MORROW SIGNS ONE-YEAR CONTRACT WITH BLUES

{eot}

The St. Louis Blues have added some depth at forward, signing veteran winger Brenden Morrow to a one-year contract worth $1.5 million.

Morrow scored 12 goals and 13 assists in 44 games with the Pittsburgh Penguins and Dallas Stars in 2012-13.

Morrow was traded to Pittsburgh prior to the trade deadline along with a third-round pick, in exchange for Joe Morrow and a fifth-round pick in 2013.

Originally selected 25th overall by the Stars at the 1997 NHL Entry Draft, Morrow has scored 249 goals and 293 assists in 850 career games. Morrow was also a part of Canada's gold medal winning team at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

More to follow.

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=683638&navid=DL|STL|home

St. Louis Blues President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced Monday the club has signed forward Brenden Morrow to a one-year deal.

Morrow, 34, posted 11 points (six goals, five assists) and 18 penalty minutes in 29 games with Dallas last season before being acquired by Pittsburgh at the trade deadline.

Morrow went on to log 14 points (six goals, eight assists) in 19 penalty minutes in his final 15 regular season games with the Penguins as well as four points (two goals, two assists) and eight penalty minutes in 14 playoff appearances.

"The Blues have been knocking on the door...I think they're a team that can push through it and I want to be a part of that," Morrow said via conference call. "It's good to be on (the Blues side) instead of having to compete against them every night."

Prior to joining Pittsburgh, Morrow spent his entire 13-year career in Dallas, where he served as the team's captain since 2006. Overall, the 6-foot, 210-pound forward has dressed in 850 career games, accumulating 542 points (249 goals and 293 assists) to go along with 1,222 penalty minutes.

In addition, Morrow has tallied 46 points (19 goals, 27 assists) and 108 penalty minutes in 92 career playoff games.

"I think he just makes us a better team," Armstrong said. "He's a competitive player, he's played in the Stanley Cup Finals, the Stanley Cup Semifinals, last year went to Pittsburgh at the trade deadline and played very well there. He hurt his knee, his knee cap quite severely, and played through it. That's the type of player we want, someone that plays through injuries, has no excuses, and he's a player that's going to help our grit quota and we're going to be a tougher team to play with him in the lineup."

Internationally, the Carlyle, Saskatchewan native has skated for Team Canada on seven different occasions, most notably winning the gold medal in the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. He also won gold in the 2004 World Cup of Hockey and 2004 World Championships, and silver in the 2005 World Championships and the 1999 World Juniors.

Morrow was originally drafted by Dallas in the first round, 25th overall, of the 1997 NHL Draft.

In theory, I think this is a great addition for the note, great leadership and at 34, probably still has some serious firepower, if he can stay healthy, my biggest concern is this gives the Blues 16 forwards who are on one way contracts or strong enough locks to make the club, So, some younger guy who would have played in st. louis will be sent down and make an NHL salary. I wonder who will lose their job because of Morrow, or there will be have to be a trade, but, I think this is a big chance for the note to really step up and pull away alittle bit in the new Central division. 

I like Morrow.  I liked that he came here to give it a go.  I also like that he's moved on.  He played well in the regular season but seemed to disappear in the postseason.  I get it that he hurt his knee, and at the time I didn't realize it was as severe as the press release makes it sound, but he still up and vanished.  I wish him the best, and he may be a solid fourth liner for the Blues or something.  The price is obviously right.  

I also like the addition of Morrow, I think it gives the note a little extra scoring and a nice vet presents, however, I am starting to get alittle more concerned with the expectations and the cause and effect of morrow's presents, first, there seems to be a sense that morrow is going to be a top six forward to start the season, though, I'd love to have the morrow of 5 years ago when he was a top six, I'm concerned with the extra pressure effect on his aging and sore body. I'm not saying he can't do it, I just have concerns that if he can do it on a every night basis, also, the addition of Morrow will most likely cost us a pretty talented piece of our young core, as chris porter was waved yesterday to make room, and I would be very surprised someone doesn't claim him, he's way too talented for no one to try to steal him for free. I'm hoping porter clears, but, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth if we lose a good piece of the youth for a player who will only help us for sure this season, and if we resign him only a max 5 more years down the road, and all that without saying he needs to stay healthy too.