Is Joel Quenneville a Hall of Famer?

yave1964

Joel Quenneville in the record books does not look like much. Parts of 13 seasons, over 800 games with only 54 goals, most of his career with the long forgotten Colorado Rockies and Hartford Whalers, the quintessential stay at home blue liner, he made the second round as a player once in the playoffs. One of those guys who retires and nobody except his agent and mom even knows.

Then he took to coaching and found his calling.

His coaching career began with the St. Louis Blues where his club made the playoffs seven consecutive seasons, advancing to the conference final once and making the second round three other times. Fired in 2003-04, he made it back after the lockout with the Avalanche where in 2005-06 they surprisingly made the second round. In 2006-07 his Avalanche missed the playoffs, the only time a Quenneville club has missed the postseason. The following year they were in again, losing in the second round to the Wings. From there he moved on to the Hawks where he has made the playoffs five consecutive years winning two Stanley Cup championships and making the conference final one additional time.

To me the most telling thing about Quenneville is after this season he will be behind only immortals Al Arbour and the great Scotty Bowman for career wins. Third all time, two Stanley Cups (And counting)well respected groomer of talent.

Does he belong in the Hall of Fame? I have not seen much comment if any on the subject. In my opinion he should be a lock, but does not for some reason get the press that he deserves. One more cup puts him in with absolutely no doubt, but I think if he were to walk away right now he should be in. He is no Mike Keenan who tooted his own horn for his entire career, or a guy who caught lightning in a bottle and after years of losing suddenly won an improbable championship. He quietly goes about his business and Wins. Classy guy deserving of hockey's highest honor IMHO. Too much on his resume to not be in.

In my opinion he should be a lock,

you said it here. 

He wins wherever he goes. He is like the way Bum Phillips used to describe Chuck Knoll,"he can take hisn' and beat yourn' or he can take yourn' and beat hisn'"  the man can coach a hockey club.

• Like 1

I've always liked Joel and I agree, he is a very classy guy. His accomplishments have been quite spectacular, he is absolutely doing something right. 

(Hey, when did you become a 'Division Moderator'? I didn't know there was such a thing..lol. So that means we need to be minding our 'p's and 'q's with each others' teams? LOL. ;)  Heads up yave, you're rounding 1,000..haha) 

• Like 1

@yave1964  One of my favourite Windsor Spitfires of all time. He was a WONDERFUL d-man in the OHL. An absolute treat to watch. His last year with the Spits he had 103 pts. A very underrated skater also. Obviously the offense never translated to the NHL level, but when I was in grade 5 and 6, Joel was THE MAN. One year after Joel went pro a young rookie by the name of Claude Julien took the Spits by storm, he was a really smart, 2 way d-man.

• Like 1

I've always liked Joel and I agree, he is a very classy guy. His accomplishments have been quite spectacular, he is absolutely doing something right. 

(Hey, when did you become a 'Division Moderator'? I didn't know there was such a thing..lol. So that means we need to be minding our 'p's and 'q's with each others' teams? LOL. ;)  Heads up yave, you're rounding 1,000..haha)

Yep the site is going to have division moderators to keep an eye on content for the season, I have been picked for the Atlantic, looking forward to it. Hey I did break 1000 posts, did not even notice, cool!!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...