Yakupov vs. Murphy (Draft debate)

Guest It's a Canadian Game

So, last night on Hockey Night in Canada after the Vancouver-Edmonton game the panel discussed if back in 2012 the Oilers would have been better off selecting highly touted defenseman Ryan Murphy instead of Yakupov knowing that the team was in much dyer need of a solid defenseman rather than another offensive forward. In fact it was made public that the majority of the Oilers' scouts suggested they take a pass on Yakupov.  

I find this especially interesting because a certain... me... wrote an article suggesting that Edmonton may not be drafting the way they should be. Here is the article http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/blog/46/entry-453-edmonton-oilers-are-they-drafting-right/

So, my question do you think Edmonton should have taken Murphy and do you think that they should change their drafting strategy?

Follow me on Twitter: @acanadiangame

Well also, 'hindsight is the best foresight' as they say...obviously to me they should have gone with Murphy to bulk up their defense, but I think maybe even a higher priority would have been focusing on a solid & proven goaltender, your best & last defense. Devan, after the last 2 games with the Jets & Nucks is on pretty shaky ground & it may force Eakins at some point to do something somewhat drastic. I do feel for Devan as he really wanted a bounce-back game vs the Nucks but things were just not going his way, poor guy.  :(

• Like 1

@goalnut3133  agree 100% and I mention a goaltender in my blog also. I think the reason was there weren't any highly touted goaltenders in that draft at the time, However, to me there is no question that is one of the handful of things missing from this roster. Dubynk to me is a solid backup, who can give a solid outing here and there, but I think if the Oilers are serious about making a playoff push they need a more proven number one goalie.

-Drafting for need is like digging for fool's gold with an extra large shovel.

-Given the track record for lottery picks in general, and #1 overall especially, taking a defenseman represents extreme risk as compared to a forward. Any pick needs to be well considered, but #1 overall can set your team for a decade: you can't miss. Forward can be projected with much more confidence.

-If choosing a defenseman #1 overall is risky, selecting a goalie (especially when there isn't one considered to be remotely close to #1 territory) is terrible.... Like "lose your job as head scout" kind of terrible.

-It's more than revisionist history to say a team screwed up by taking the concensus #1 pick.

JR

• Like 1

Though I appreciate all Murphy brings, Yakupov was very highly regarded. He's young and dealing with adversity on a young squad. Murphy hasn't done anything spectacular yet either, so it's going to take more than scoring an assist against a ravaged Flyers squad to impress.

@JR Ewing  You're an encyclopedia of knowledge JR...lol.  I was waiting for your thoughts here. I honestly don't know what the previous drafts were like prior to this past one. So if there was no respectable goalie available, I fully understand, not to mention they are hard to come by in the draft.  I guess I meant focusing on a goalie outside of the draft though, & as mentioned, trading Yak maybe for a #1 or more proven goalie at some point.  Imagine if you had Bernier!  But again, all is hindsight!  Plus I'm just spitballing here! 

As far as picking a defenseman out of need in a draft, correct me if it's out of context, etc, but didn't Nashville pick Seth Jones out of dire need for quality d-men, rather than going for a top forward?  Maybe that case was different though... :unsure:

@JR Ewing You're an encyclopedia of knowledge JR...lol. I was waiting for your thoughts here. I honestly don't know what the previous drafts were like prior to this past one. So if there was no respectable goalie available, I fully understand, not to mention they are hard to come by in the draft. I guess I meant focusing on a goalie outside of the draft though, & as mentioned, trading Yak maybe for a #1 or more proven goalie at some point. Imagine if you had Bernier! But again, all is hindsight! Plus I'm just spitballing here!

As far as picking a defenseman out of need in a draft, correct me if it's out of context, etc, but didn't Nashville pick Seth Jones out of dire need for quality d-men, rather than going for a top forward? Maybe that case was different though... :unsure:

Actually bud they took Jones because he was the best talent still available and they were shocked he'd slid so far down the order.

Though I appreciate all Murphy brings, Yakupov was very highly regarded. He's young and dealing with adversity on a young squad. Murphy hasn't done anything spectacular yet either, so it's going to take more than scoring an assist against a ravaged Flyers squad to impress.

I'm pretty much where you are on that. Yakupov piled up a ridiculous amount of points in junior, scoring at the same rate as Steven Stamkos did, but Yak did it with a knee injury... Murphy could very well turn out to be a very good player, but literally the only thing that scared off some scouts, with Yakupov, was "the Russian factor", where they were scared he would prefer the KHL.

Yeah, THAT'S why Yakupov left home as a teenager and moved to Canada... Because he wanted to play in Russia.   ;)

JR

@JR Ewing  You're an encyclopedia of knowledge JR...lol.  I was waiting for your thoughts here. I honestly don't know what the previous drafts were like prior to this past one. So if there was no respectable goalie available, I fully understand, not to mention they are hard to come by in the draft.  I guess I meant focusing on a goalie outside of the draft though, & as mentioned, trading Yak maybe for a #1 or more proven goalie at some point.  Imagine if you had Bernier!  But again, all is hindsight!  Plus I'm just spitballing here!

-If the Oilers traded Yakupov for Bernier, I'd bottle a fart and send it to the Oilers offices. The thing is, how do you get fair value for a 1st overall with one season under his belt, particularly when he was mis-handled by his coach, but still produced (same Pts/60 as Taylor Hall's rookie year)? Frankly, I think the Oilers are best served holding one. Dubnyk's an average to slightly above average goalie who's had a tough start, so it's important to look at the volum of work rather than the last couple of outings. Henrik Lundqvist is sitting on s .870ish SV%, but the Rangers aren't looking to deal him. With Dubnyk, he's shown the ability to post .915-.920 SV% and that's with a grotesque defense.

-Drafting goalies is one of the few real crapshoots left in the first round, and I'd be very hesitant to use one remotely near the top of the round.

quote]As far as picking a defenseman out of need in a draft, correct me if it's out of context, etc, but didn't Nashville pick Seth Jones out of dire need for quality d-men, rather than going for a top forward?  Maybe that case was different though... :unsure:

They picked Jones because he was there and they felt he was the best guy available, which he probably was, considering he was in the mix for 1st overall.

JR

-If the Oilers traded Yakupov for Bernier, I'd bottle a fart and send it to the Oilers offices.

LOL! Now that's colourful! No, of course they're not equal value, but you know what I mean...

Dubnyk's an average to slightly above average goalie who's had a tough start, so it's important to look at the volum of work rather than the last couple of outings. Henrik Lundqvist is sitting on s .870ish SV%, but the Rangers aren't looking to deal him

Lol...yes I've seen more than the last 2 games Dubnyk's played...the sports analysts are saying something else but I already probably know the value you place on their comments..haha.  Ah, no, I don't think Lundqvist would be considered to be dealt, but to be fair, ......comparing Dubnyk to King Henrik, JR??  LOL!!!   :lol:

Lol...yes I've seen more than the last 2 games Dubnyk's played...the sports analysts are saying something else but I already probably know the value you place on their comments..haha.  Ah, no, I don't think Lundqvist would be considered to be dealt, but to be fair, ......comparing Dubnyk to King Henrik, JR??  LOL!!!   :lol:

Oh no, Lundqvist is an elite goalie, while Dubnyk is an average NHL starter. Worlds apart, those two. It's just that after only two starts, the numbers don't mean anything yet. It's, you know, a small sample size...

JR

Edited by JR Ewing