Is Halak being Groomed for the future or Showcased

stlbluesfan4ever

Recently, Coach Hitchcock has made it clear that Halak could start the first six games for the Blues, due to the light schedule to start the season. A 2-0 start and becoming the franchise"s all time leader in shutouts, is definely big pluses for Halak in the long term. However, with both Halak and Elliott about to become UFA's at the end of the season and Jake Allen is scheduled to become a one way contract next season, Could the Blues be trying to test Halak as the Number 1 job and make sure he can hold up physically and the long haul of the season with all the pressure, or could they be playing saleman, and trying to showcase Halak and see if we can raise his stock and move him. Though I know that the blues just assigned jordan binnington back to the OHL with the current log jam in Chicago, and the only way to keep everyone developing, they need to be regularly playing, so, if Allen does well in chicago, could the blues be looking to move elliott or halak to bring Allen up and then get Binnington to chicago, or do you think that Halak and elliott will be a season long battle and we will just try to see does best (or cost effective) and then Allen will most likely fit in as the backup for the note.

It would not surprise me to see Pittsburgh kick the tires on a rental for Halak if Voukun's medical issues continue. They would have to move some salary cap to do it but you have to think that they DO NOT want to rely on Fluery for the post season regardless of what they are saying.

It would not surprise me to see Pittsburgh kick the tires on a rental for Halak if Voukun's medical issues continue. They would have to move some salary cap to do it but you have to think that they DO NOT want to rely on Fluery for the post season regardless of what they are saying.

What? With Bryzgalov in the desert getting tanned, rested and ready?

:ph34r:

@stlbluesfan4ever  I thought this would be coming for a while now, the Blues are at a legit crossroads with their tending. It was inevitable, now come the decisions. I've seen Jake play 3-4 games, he won most of them, but when he was bad, he was real bad...to small a sample I say. I believe the Blues have to get him in the NHL net before they make a move with Halak or Elliott.

STL is in a win/win situation. They play Halak, he goes lights out and they ride that and get what they can for Elliott. They give Elliott a few games and improve his value.

Reverse the situation with Elliott as Halak.

But they basically have to deal one of them.

But..... why trade one of them this season in a year when all the pieces are together to win the cup?  If they didn't trade one of them in the off season, I surely wouldn't expect one will be traded now leaving a rookie as the backup.  Then if Elliot were to go down they really would weaken their position.

Secondly Halak was pissed off after returning from injury last season as he felt he should have gotten his #1 position back.  Hitch didn't start him.  So I wonder if these 6 games are a way of Hitch saying "Play well and you are the #1 again." ?

But..... why trade one of them this season in a year when all the pieces are together to win the cup?  If they didn't trade one of them in the off season, I surely wouldn't expect one will be traded now leaving a rookie as the backup.  Then if Elliot were to go down they really would weaken their position.

Secondly Halak was pissed off after returning from injury last season as he felt he should have gotten his #1 position back.  Hitch didn't start him.  So I wonder if these 6 games are a way of Hitch saying "Play well and you are the #1 again." ?

They're both UFA at the end of the season.

Not saying "now" saying "before trade deadline"

They're both UFA at the end of the season.

Not saying "now" saying "before trade deadline"

OK, so the trade deadline is an option, surely.  But I still think it weakens the team for a cup run.  They could also wait and trade one of them at the draft.  And one of them could be given a contract once they show a clear #1 status during the season.

OK, so the trade deadline is an option, surely.  But I still think it weakens the team for a cup run.  They could also wait and trade one of them at the draft.  And one of them could be given a contract once they show a clear #1 status during the season.

You are always testing the market. If a team has a disastrous situation and you can grab a 1st and a top prospect, for example.

The point is, you have two assets that will be UFA. You "need" to keep one. Get value for the other.

@radoran

The point is, you have two assets that will be UFA. You "need" to keep one. Get value for the other.

I get your point.  Timing is everything.  I just think the Blues are more interested in positioning themselves for a Stanley Cup than a bit more real estate for a proven player.

@radoran

I get your point.  Timing is everything.  I just think the Blues are more interested in positioning themselves for a Stanley Cup than a bit more real estate for a proven player.

Well, obviously. Exactly, there are so many factors involved in the timing of any decision.,

Or you go with your gut and fire away.

Not that that ever happens with a competent NHL executive.

Imagine Paul Holmgren doing in-game with Roenick?

Comedy gold, baby.

• Like 1