Anthony Mantha - CHL Player of the Week

EDI-Flyer

Per the QMJHL:

Anthony Mantha is the CHL player of the week. I really like this kid, late first round pick by Detroit and has one heck of an instinct for goals. Yes it's the Q but his stats are strong by anyone's measurements.

Toronto, ON – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that Detroit Red Wings prospect Anthony Mantha of the Val-d’Or Foreurs is the CHL Player of the Week for the week ending October 13 after recording 10 points in just two games scoring five goals and five assists with a plus-minus rating of plus-7.

Mantha exploded offensively recording back-to-back five-point games helping the Foreurs earn a pair of victories last week to extend their winning streak to five straight games.  On Friday night Mantha scored twice and added three assists as first star of a 6-4 win over the Drummondville Voltigeurs, then netted a hat-trick with two assists on Saturday as first star of a 6-5 overtime win over the Sherbrooke Phoenix. 

Mantha, a 19-year-old from Longueuil, Quebec, is playing in his third QMJHL season with the Foreurs.  A first round pick of the Red Wings, selected 20th overall in 2013, Mantha just recently signed an NHL entry-level contract and currently leads the QMJHL in scoring with 16 goals and 12 assists for 28 points in just nine games

Also considered for the award this week was Toronto Maple Leafs prospect and OHL Top Scorer Connor Brown with three goals and four assists for seven points in three games, while Matt Pufahl of the Everett Silvertips scored four goals with two assists for six points in four games last week.

@EDI-Flyer  I think it was a real smart pick by the Wings, but I remain skeptical. When I hear "not the best skater", that makes me shy away real quick. Of course, there are always exceptions, Dave Andreychuck built a HOF career without good wheels and great nose for the net, but they are far and few between. The Wings draft position and having made the playoffs 100 times in a row made it an excellent gamble for them....now if the Flyers passed up a stud d-man for him, In be irate....but for the Wings, a terrific pick.

@flyercanuck, @jammer2

I had heard about the skating, not so much about the work ethic to be honest. I would agree not a top ten pick but at 20 I would say he represents good value as a prospect. IF he can translate his scoring game to the NHL (and there have been plenty of junior stars who couldn't) the Wings could do very well with him.

One thing you can say for the Wings scouting team is that they aren't wrong all that often. One can only assume they haven't seen any insurmountable obstacles with him.

The amazing thing is we chose him at pick 20. The last time the Wings had a pick INSIDE of the top 20 was in 1991 when we chose Marty Lapointe with the tenth pick.

Think about that. 22 years consecutive in the playoffs, 22 years straight picking 20th or lower. Jim Nill belongs in the Wings hall of fame for his drafting. Amazing run, he deserves an absolute ton of credit and I wish him nothing but the absolute best in Dallas.