Canadian goalie for the Olympics

yave1964

Who will represent Canada in net for the 2014 Olympics?

Options are

Roberto Luongo

Marc Andre Fleury

Carey Price

Marty Broduer?

Cory Crawford

Mike Smith

Cam Ward

Braden Holtby

Luongo seems a lock. After that the competition is stiff as any in the game.

That leaves two spots between Price,Fleury, Crawford and Smith  with Ward, Holtby, Harding and Brodeur needing an injury or two or three to have a shot. A look at the numbers of the four big boys:

NAME         WINS      LOSSES     .GAA      SV PCT.     SH/O

PRICE         7               9                2.12        .933             1

Fleury          10             5                2.07        .921             1

Crawford     11            5                 2.22         .917            0

Smith           11            5                 2.81         .917            0

other candidates

Harding        10            4                 1.21        .947            2

Holtby           8              6                 2.72        .920            1

Brodeur        5               5                 2.08        .913           2

WOW. What a tough decision.

The easy ones to cut would be Marty and Holtby, Holtby is young and will get other oppurtunities, Brodeur is having a solid season for a man who is 74 years old and still going strong which leaves the big four and Harding who is just having an insane season with the Wild this year and deserves consideration. I personally don't see him quite in the same category as the big four but props must be given to this man for the season he is having.

So that leaves two spots, Crawford, Smith, Fleury and Price. Who do you go with?

My votes would go with Luongo, Crawford and Smith but arguments could be made for any of the above. What say you?

Edited by yave1964

My choices are Luongo Price and Smith. I think with Canada's defence and forwards they don't really need a goalie to win games so much as they don't need one who will lose one. We should have the best D in the Olympics and the best group of forwards so our not so elite goaltending shouldn't be a huge factor...though I'd be a lot more comfortable if we were on top of the world in that dept. again.

A fyi yave... Canadien is as in Montreal. The Olympic team are Canadian.

My choices are Luongo Price and Smith. I think with Canada's defence and forwards they don't really need a goalie to win games so much as they don't need one who will lose one. We should have the best D in the Olympics and the best group of forwards so our not so elite goaltending shouldn't be a huge factor...though I'd be a lot more comfortable if we were on top of the world in that dept. again.

A fyi yave... Canadien is as in Montreal. The Olympic team are Canadian.

You know I try to make sure to get the Canadian/Canadien thing right every time and the ONE time I get it wrong one of you guys who don't know the difference between bacon and ham has to run me through. At least you did it politely with an FYI unlike someone from the US who would have used an FU.

You know I try to make sure to get the Canadian/Canadien thing right every time and the ONE time I get it wrong one of you guys who don't know the difference between bacon and ham has to run me through. At least you did it politely with an FYI unlike someone from the US who would have used an FU.

I was also trying to figure out why you put the topic in the Canadiens forum.   :P

If Brodeur keeps playing well, I fully expect him on the Canadian roster.

Luongo, Brodeur and Crawford would be my choice.

• Like 1

My 3 are Price, Holtby and Crawford. I've always felt Luongo is a bit overrated. As fc said, our defense will be outstanding, so the whoever is in net will not face many odd man breaks or second shots. I'd love to see Holtby start, but think it's unrealistic. He has the best skill set out of any of the Canadian goalies.....best reflexes and best positioning. After a slow start, he's been carrying the Captials this past few weeks. Crawford has proven he's the real deal and has is name on Lord Stanley to prove it. I'd like to see all the goalies get pre tourny games and let the best man win. Settle it on the ice.

• Like 1

My 3 are Price, Holtby and Crawford. I've always felt Luongo is a bit overrated. As fc said, our defense will be outstanding, so the whoever is in net will not face many odd man breaks or second shots. I'd love to see Holtby start, but think it's unrealistic. He has the best skill set out of any of the Canadian goalies.....best reflexes and best positioning. After a slow start, he's been carrying the Captials this past few weeks. Crawford has proven he's the real deal and has is name on Lord Stanley to prove it. I'd like to see all the goalies get pre tourny games and let the best man win. Settle it on the ice.

That is such a cool idea, I wonder why that type of thing never took hold. I would love to see that, a skill competition where mano a mano they decide who should get the job.

@yave1964  This is a HUGE game for Holtby against the Wings tonight. If he wants serious consideration for team Canada, these are the kind of games where he has to shine, on the road in Detroit in a big Eastern Conf tilt. I think he's gonna have a good game tonight!

@yave1964  This is a HUGE game for Holtby against the Wings tonight. If he wants serious consideration for team Canada, these are the kind of games where he has to shine, on the road in Detroit in a big Eastern Conf tilt. I think he's gonna have a good game tonight!

I know lol I agree with yu about holtby he deserves consideration, and going forward every start makes a difference. Just busting your chops about your club, lol.

• 2 weeks later...