Bruins / Penguins, what are the pundits saying

nossagog

Okay, many of us have given our opinions on the variety of things that happened in the Bruins / Penguins game on Saturday.  Suffice it to say we've pretty much staked out our sides and aren't going to change our minds.

Who's right, who's wrong? Who knows. So I thought that I'd start up a thread where we can reference what the guys who are paid to analyze hockey are saying.  I'm sure that Melrose, Milbury, Jones, Pang et al will obviously be talking about this to start off the week.  Let's see what they say.

As a start,  here's a link to the Kerry Fraiser article: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=438513

Key Quotes:

Orpik hit on Eriksson key quote:

A better job could have been done by the refs in that regard after Orpik delivered a hard, legal open-ice check that knocked Loui Erisksson out of the game on the very first shift. Credit must be given to the referees for not overreacting to Orpik's legal check and then sending Zdeno Chara to the box for his retaliatory cross-check at the first stoppage of play 21 seconds in.

Neal Knee on Marchand

The referee did react a second later by raising his arm when James Neal extended a left knee directly (and deliberately) to the head of Marchand as the Bruin was getting up off the ice. While the referee observed and reacted to the kneeing infraction, I have a major problem with the fact that it was only deemed to be a minor penalty. At the very least, based on the deliberate act by Neal, a major and a game misconduct would be required and a match penalty for deliberate attempt to injure was most deserving!

And the TSN article with Bob McKensie's comments:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438472

Thorton and Neal:

"I'm no rocket surgeon but have to think Shawn Thornton will get in-person hearing for knocking down Brooks Orpik and KOing him while down. I'd also imagine NHL [Department of] Player Safety will be looking hard at James Neal's knee to head of Brad Marchand for possible supplementary discipline."

Orpik hit on Eriksson:

"Orpik's hit on Eriksson was hockey play, could've been minor for interference, but well within context of game action. Orpik shouldn't necessarily be obliged to answer the bell to Thornton on that hit. It wasn't that egregious."

• Like 1

“Thorny did cross the line, and some others did too. You have to man up to those things, and I think he did,” Julien said. “He’s being truthful. That’s more than we can say about players that pretend that it wasn’t done on purpose.”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/08/bruins-coach-admits-thornton-crossed-the-line-slams-pens-for-not-being-truthful/

• Like 1

From Scott Burnside of ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/28178/orpik-shouldnt-have-had-to-pay-for-hit

On Oripiks of Eriksson:

One NHL executive at the board of governors' meetings in California suggested that if Orpik had simply fought Thornton -- as Thornton had wanted after Orpik's heavy hit on Eriksson -- none of this would have happened. Oy.

If there is a problem the league's GMs and competition committee need to address, it's the notion that players should have to fight after delivering a legal body check. Whatever happened to simply taking a hit?

Burnside's take on the suspension:http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/28242/league-needed-to-act-faster-on-suspen

Key quote:

The specious argument that somehow Orpik got what he deserved because he didn't fight Thornton is another embarrassing element to an already embarrassing situation. Orpik didn't need to fight and shouldn't have had to fight after what the officials on the ice (and later the league) had ruled was a clean hit on Eriksson.

Edited by nossagog
  • Like 1

Here were Ray Shero's comments in regard to the Thorton Suspension.  http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=696015&navid=DL|PIT|home

Key segement:

On if he is satisfied with 15 games for Shawn Thornton and if he thinks it is fair:
I honestly don’t think it’s my position to say whether it’s fair or not. I think the message was sent by Brendan Shanahan. From what I saw, that’s the longest suspension he’s given out in the regular season, so I guess that is a message being sent. As to whether it’s too long, long enough, it’s not for me to say. It’s too bad with Brooks getting hurt, obviously. But at the same time, Shawn Thornton has been a player throughout his career, through the minors and the NHL, I believe, that has been an honest player. He’s never been suspended before; plays a tough role. I don’t think what happened is what he intended to happen. I don’t believe that. But those were the consequences and he has to live with what the league says is appropriate in terms of suspension. It’s time to move on. Hopefully Brooks is going to get better here soon. So we’re going to have to move on.

Hate the Penguins as you will, but I like Ray.   He's an honest stand up guy.  He could have whined, he could have went with the "Dirty, Cheap" route, but instead he's almost making a statement supporting Thorton.

Edited by nossagog

Hate the Penguins as you will, but I like Ray.   He's an honest stand up guy.  He could have whined, he could have went with the "Dirty, Cheap" route, but instead he's almost making a statement supporting Thorton.

I think there would only be a few coaches that would have whined.  They all don't want to see the "enforcer" role removed from hockey.