If a tie is like kissing your sister an overtime loss must be like....

yave1964

Thoughts on last nights 2-1 shootout loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning

Another night another shootout loss. WTH??? I have never seen anything like this in all of my years, the Wings battle hard for 60 minutes then freeze up like a deer in headlights when overtime comes.

The Monster and Bishop put on a goaltending clinic last night, both were big in their own way, Bishop looking large and in charge, full of confidence, the monster flopping and diving all over the ice in his best Hasek imitation. Opposite styles but equally effective.

Kyle Quincey scored his first goal in over fifty games then gave the puck up on a clearing pass to Kucherov allowing the lone Tampa goal. He should get a goal for the nifty one he snuck past Bishop while the lightning looked around trying to find the puck and an assist for the one scored by Tampa. A mixed night.

Palat played an inspired game, lining up all night on the wing against Datsyuk's like and shutting down our top line. Tyler Johnson to me was equaly impressive. But to me, the Lightning player who stood out the most was Val Filpulla who seems to have escaped the shadow of Z and Pavel and plays like his own man. Calm and a force on the ice, I am happy for him but wonder why this was when he was in Detroit.

I like big rugged hard hitting defensemen who know how to play the game, it is kind of how I always wanted to play except I sucked so that is where it al fell apart, anyway, Radko Gudas looks like a Vlady Konstantinov, only six foot but rugged as hell, bone crushing  hits, I watched Bertuzzi slow down moving in against him at one point. You know when he hits you you stay hit. Really liked his game.

Franzen another point and played strong as a power forward. Abdelkader as well. Drew Miller impressed.

Overall not a bad game, just stoned by a near elite goalie. Now home for the Penguins and the Lightning again this weekend.

Thoughts on last nights 2-1 shootout loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning

Another night another shootout loss. WTH??? I have never seen anything like this in all of my years, the Wings battle hard for 60 minutes then freeze up like a deer in headlights when overtime comes.

The Monster and Bishop put on a goaltending clinic last night, both were big in their own way, Bishop looking large and in charge, full of confidence, the monster flopping and diving all over the ice in his best Hasek imitation. Opposite styles but equally effective.

Kyle Quincey scored his first goal in over fifty games then gave the puck up on a clearing pass to Kucherov allowing the lone Tampa goal. He should get a goal for the nifty one he snuck past Bishop while the lightning looked around trying to find the puck and an assist for the one scored by Tampa. A mixed night.

Palat played an inspired game, lining up all night on the wing against Datsyuk's like and shutting down our top line. Tyler Johnson to me was equaly impressive. But to me, the Lightning player who stood out the most was Val Filpulla who seems to have escaped the shadow of Z and Pavel and plays like his own man. Calm and a force on the ice, I am happy for him but wonder why this was when he was in Detroit.

I like big rugged hard hitting defensemen who know how to play the game, it is kind of how I always wanted to play except I sucked so that is where it al fell apart, anyway, Radko Gudas looks like a Vlady Konstantinov, only six foot but rugged as hell, bone crushing  hits, I watched Bertuzzi slow down moving in against him at one point. You know when he hits you you stay hit. Really liked his game.

Franzen another point and played strong as a power forward. Abdelkader as well. Drew Miller impressed.

Overall not a bad game, just stoned by a near elite goalie. Now home for the Penguins and the Lightning again this weekend.

Shootouts sucks, but the only thing that is worse than that to me is OT hockey. You would think that if a team knew it was guaranteed a point, maybe they'd played with a little more gusto, but they don't. I think OT hockey is boring as hell.

After your comment, I went and looked at the standings. I didn't realize Detroit had so many OT losses until I read your post. You should be grateful, you're head of teams you have the same amount of wins and losses (such as NY) solely because of your OT losses.

@yave1964

I take it your team is fairly new to the shootout loss? Welcome to our world. 

We are wretched, BRYZGALOVLY WRETCHED  in the shootout. One point at a time, We have lost ELEVEN STRAIGHT SHOOTOUTS. This season, our shooters have managed a whopping two shootout goals all season,

Sorry about all of the capitalization, I shave my head, if I had hair I would have pulled it out by now. Eleven straight shootout losses. Wow.

Shootouts sucks, but the only thing that is worse than that to me is OT hockey. You would think that if a team knew it was guaranteed a point, maybe they'd played with a little more gusto, but they don't. I think OT hockey is boring as hell.

After your comment, I went and looked at the standings. I didn't realize Detroit had so many OT losses until I read your post. You should be grateful, you're head of teams you have the same amount of wins and losses (such as NY) solely because of your OT losses.

I am a big fan of a two point system, 2 for a win, nothing for a loss, no exceptions for overtime. I think it skews the system by allowing a losing team a point, even though it would hurt my frustrating Wings the most, at least this year.

I have determined that if a tie is like kissing your sister, an overtime loss is like kissing your grandmother and having her slip you the tongue.

I am a big fan of a two point system, 2 for a win, nothing for a loss, no exceptions for overtime. I think it skews the system by allowing a losing team a point, even though it would hurt my frustrating Wings the most, at least this year.

I have determined that if a tie is like kissing your sister, an overtime loss is like kissing your grandmother and having her slip you the tongue.

I don't have the right words to accurately describe just how stupid I think it is awarding a loss with a point. I don't care the loss came in OT.....IT'S STILL A LOSS!!! It absolutely skews the system. I'm with you. Give me the old format over this one any day.

Edited by fanaticV3.0
  • Like 1

@fanaticV3.0

I have heard from several different, unrelated people who suggest the following:

5 points for a regualtion win

3 points for overtime win

2 points for shootout win

1 point for OT/SO loss

I'm not thrilled with the OT scoring system either, but at least it's not this....  Can you imagine the ridiculousness in the standings??

@WingNut722

Yeah i have seen that and several similar things along those lines and just shake my head. It takes a complicated broken system and makes it worse.

Simple:

A win is two points.

A loss is zero points.

Regardless of regulation, shootout or overtime, four on four, three on three a partridge in a pear tree, a win is a win, a loss a loss. If you want to use regulation wins as a tiebreaker, meh, okay, i guess but my god getting a point for losing in overtime is like the fat kid getting a participation ribbon.

• Like 1

@fanaticV3.0

I have heard from several different, unrelated people who suggest the following:

5 points for a regualtion win

3 points for overtime win

2 points for shootout win

1 point for OT/SO loss

I'm not thrilled with the OT scoring system either, but at least it's not this....  Can you imagine the ridiculousness in the standings??

Were these people patients in the mental ward of your local hospital?

Unless it's the SCPs. Then, OT hockey is just about the best sports event you can watch!

(But I know what you meant.)

@WingNut722

Yeah i have seen that and several similar things along those lines and just shake my head. It takes a complicated broken system and makes it worse.

Simple:

A win is two points.

A loss is zero points.

Regardless of regulation, shootout or overtime, four on four, three on three a partridge in a pear tree, a win is a win, a loss a loss. If you want to use regulation wins as a tiebreaker, meh, okay, i guess but my god getting a point for losing in overtime is like the fat kid getting a participation ribbon.

I agree with everything you just said except putting the shootout in there. If you are going to do 2 points per game, all or nothing, it can't hinge on a shootout. It's gotta hinge on real hockey.

I agree with everything you just said except putting the shootout in there. If you are going to do 2 points per game, all or nothing, it can't hinge on a shootout. It's gotta hinge on real hockey.

I couldn't agree more but that is where it all falls apart.

If we remove the detestable shootout but say, hey, no ties we need a winner and  a loser, do we play four on four until we have a winner? Or three on three? And truthfully is that hockey?

I hate the shootout, but lets face it, an NHL game goes two and  a half hours-period. If we say we have to play overtime until a winner or loser is decided, no matter how long, what happens to the casual fan on a Tuesday night in Ottawa wanting to go home at the end of the before mentioned two and  ahalf hours with a decision reached, only to have the game go to a triple overtime and ending at one in the morning?

I think playing until a winner wins is great, but is unfair in many ways to the casual fan who make up sadly way too much of our fan base.

I think that playing until a winner wins is great but is unfair to the players, who might have a game end a t one in the morning and have to play the next day in Winnipeg. I feel it Is too unwieldy to just play until someone wins, though God knows I agree with you Spike and feel that is the proper way to end a game. But sadly, like so many other things what is right isn't always the best thing for the majority.

Spike, we agree but I don't believe playing until a winner wins is doable. Holland has been pushing for 3 on 3 which is okay, not really hockey but a hell of a lot closer to it than the damn shootout. But then what? What if nobody scores 3 on 3? do we go 2 on 2 or back to the shootout?

@yave1964

I wasn't arguing that. I was simply stating as principle that taking two points should not be dependent on a SO. I ACTUALLY prefer the tie scenario. There is something noble about two teams playing their guts out, ending in a tie, and skating off the ice with a nod to each other. I know how they say that ties are like kissing your sister.

I understand and agree that playing REAL hockey until there is a winner is not feasible in the regular season. There isn't enough on the line to make players work that hard or make fans stay in their seats, when playoff survival is in play, it's different. I agree with all of that.

I wouldn't care if they played 4-on-4 or even 3-on-3. That's STILL closer to hockey than the SO is by a long shot. In principle, the SO just makes the points less meaningful, because it just takes one skill shot or one goalie's mistake to earn one point--the equivalent of 60 minutes of real hockey that it took to earn the other one?! Call me a dinosaur, but I liked it better with ties than with the SO. And I'm not just saying that just because we suck at them right now. I held my nose when we were winning them too.