OT: Question on acquisitions

PhlyersPhan

I know I can "google" this to find out the information; but, I'd rather have a conversation with some Hockey fans--especially Flyers fans.

I love NHL hockey and the Flyers. I love watching the game and I know all the rules.  However, I'll admit, when it comes to acquisitions in the NHL, I'm clueless.

Can someone give me a quick synopsis on how the free-agency, drafts, and trade deadlines etc. work in the NHL?

The main reason I am asking is because it is obvious the Flyers weakness in on defense and I am wondering what the possibilities are to correct this with acquisitions at this point in the season and the remaining part of the season.

@PhlyersPhan

Well, Homer took a huge step last draft by actually selecting defencemen with his first and second round picks that he actually didn't trade away. The next step is to actually develop them before he loses patience and trades them away for a guy who was runner up for a Norris in the mid nineties.

Can someone give me a quick synopsis on how the free-agency, drafts, and trade deadlines etc. work in the NHL?

free agency:  contracts expire June 30th of their last year.  On July 1, any player without a contract becomes a free agent.  Younger and/or inexperienced players are Restricted Free Agents (RFA), and the team that they were last contracted with has the right to match any contract offer the player may receive.  Older players are Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA) and are free to sign with whomever they choose.  

website with basic information on active contracts (team links across the top):

http://nhlnumbers.com/

drafts:  players who will be 18 in..September (I think) of a particular year are eligible to be drafted. The draft order is selected by lottery, with teams who did worse in the season having their odds of drafting lower increased.  Draft picks are free to be traded as teams see fit.

trade deadline: the trade deadline this season is March 5th.  i forget what exactly it is, but there is a formula for figuring out what day it is every year.  40 days before the last game of the regular season, maybe?  something like that.  anyway.  no trades may be performed between that day and the day after a given team is eliminated from the playoffs, be it while IN the playoffs, or having not made them in the first place.

obviously, there are TONs and TONs of details to each of these things (there are...5 different kinds of UFA, as i recall, for example), but those are the basics.  the biggest thing right now, though, is the salary cap.  the flyers are right up against it, and can't really bring anyone in without sending someone with an equal contract away.  that website i linked to above (about the contracts) has fairly complete salary cap info, too.  oh, that reminds me, contracts are guaranteed, can't just cut players.

ask more questions, if you want.

@fan4ever:  Ha!  Well I had no idea we $hot our wad!  Thanks for the reply.

@Flyercanuk:  You make an excellent point.  And as a fan I have to be equally patient.  Thanks for the reply.

@aziz:  Thank-you so much--you answered my immediate questions.  And I will definitely take a look at the website you suggested.

This forum is great.  I don't get to talk hockey at the "water-cooler" at work.  Nobody here in Alabama is a hockey fan--at least no one where I work.  Alabama is all about football--especially college.  Thank-you for the offer on more questions.  I'm sure I will have more after I go to the website.

Right now, I'm watching the Flyers getting their butts kicked by the Rangers.  I HATE THE RANGERS like most on here hate the Penguins.  

This forum is great.  I don't get to talk hockey at the "water-cooler" at work.  Nobody here in Alabama is a hockey fan--at least no one where I work.

Trust me bro i'm living in Columbia, South Carolina so i to feel your pain...i have a few friends at work that are into hockey Bruins, Devils fans.

This is a great site for hockey talk and some great guys here that make that so. They try to keep the trolls away...and do a good job of that too.

Welcome aboard!!!

Go Flyers!!!!!!!!!

@doom88:  Thanks, I'll definitely check it out.

@OccamsRazor:  Living in Alabama I at least used to be able to travel to Atlanta to watch the Flyers whenever they played the Thrashers.  I went every time the Flyers played there.  It was a great venue and the Flyers fans ALWAYS outnumbered the Thrashers fans.  The lack of fans moved the Thrashers to Winnipeg where they became the Jets.  So, no more games for me to attend nearby.   And, yes, this site rocks!  I was a member of the Philly.com site and the Flyers forum was trashed.  Quality posts here for sure and I used the in-game chat the other day and it was a blast.  Hope you have a great week!