Oilers trade Dubnyk and Acquire Scrivens

hf101

Oilers acquire Scrivens from LA for a 3rd round pick.  Apparently he played with Eakins last year in the AHL with a 1.97 GAA and a .931 save %

Looks like this is the Oilers push to making the playoffs.

Oilers acquire Scrivens from LA for a 3rd round pick.  Apparently he played with Eakins last year in the AHL with a 1.97 GAA and a .931 save %

Looks like this is the Oilers push to making the playoffs.

Edmonton currently twenty (20) points out of a playoff position.

Is Garth Snow pulling strings in Alberta as well as on the Island?

one thing not mentioned is apparently Rinne must be out longer than hoped.

if dubnyk is ever going to do it it had better be now. he is going from a wretched D in front of him to Nashville who know how to play in their own end as well as anyone. they have been hanging around the fringe with Carter Hutton and pals, this could end up being a steal of a pickup.

I know Dubnyk was maligned a bit by those who felt he should have been carrying the Oilers on his back, but to be fair, he had almost zero help defensively.

Also, Dubnyk DID look like he was finally coming around and I even started making comparisons to him and guys like Ben Bishop in Tampa Bay and more recently, Darcy Kuemper in Minnesota:

That is to say, really tall goaltenders that had taken awhile to finally get their NHL legs and consistency, but with enough patience, pay off for their teams.

Apparently, Edmonton thought Dubnyk wouldn't be a Bishop or Kuemper....he may prove them wrong with Nashville, as they really CAN play defense with anyone in the league.

As for picking up Scrivens...yikes...is all I have to say.

Well, that may not be totally fair, but he played in Toronto where defense was NOT really a way of life, and he had his ups and downs (lots of downs), then goes to LA to play behind a stellar defense, and all of a sudden looks REAL good...he may soon find out what Dubnyk knew all along: Edmonton skaters say, "you are on your own goalie..just stop the puck" tongue.gif

I dunno...maybe with this travels and experience now, Scrivens has learned a thing or two about positioning and anticipation at the NHL level, but still, I think this is a big gamble by the Oil.

As for the Hendrick pickup, I actually like that one for the Oilers.

IMO, Edmonton could really use another hard nosed grinder with a touch of offense, and I think Matt Hendricks fits that bill perfectly.

Oilers show a lot of speed, skill, and innate talent up front, but they routinely get pushed around, outworked, and out-grinded...perhaps a guy like Hendricks can help lead the way in showing a few of these young players how to play WITHOUT the puck.

Nashville is desperatly trying to salvage something out of this season.

Pekka Rinne was their undisputed number one..but with his health issues (some sort of infection last I heard), even their tough defense was hard pressed to help keep pucks out of nets...they can only do so much.

Ultimately, there needs to be a guy in net to actually stop shots: enter Devan Dubnyk.

Whomever helped shape big, tall Pekka Rinne into an elite NHL goaltender will be asked to do the same with big, tall Devan Dubnyk.

We will see...

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

I think Dubnyk has had the short end of the stick for a while in Edmonton. Not quite sure what his top end will be, but I would not be surprised to see him make a comeback.

On the flip side, I feel a bit bad for Scrivens if he gets hung out the same way. Eakins loves him though, so he may shine. Best of luck to Big Ben Scribbles.

I think Dubnyk has had the short end of the stick for a while in Edmonton. Not quite sure what his top end will be, but I would not be surprised to see him make a comeback.

On the flip side, I feel a bit bad for Scrivens if he gets hung out the same way. Eakins loves him though, so he may shine. Best of luck to Big Ben Scribbles.

I think Scrivens will have flashbacks of his Leaf days when he saw obscene amounts of shots and odd man rushes come his way....come to think of it, Leafs goalies are STILL seeing that nowadays....

After getting used to and comfortable behind the black n white wall known as the LA Kings defense, Scrivens is going to sink or swim in Edmonton once again.

As for getting some help defensively, from the looks of things, that will have to come in the off season.

The Oil have a few UFA / RFA contracts on the blue line and given how they've played, Edmonton may want to think about rebuilding almost that entire part of their team so that is more closely matches their stellar forward lines.

Then again, Scrivens himself (along with Bryzgalov) will also be UFA's, so if Scrivens doesn't like the direction the team is headed defensively, he can always look elsewhere.

Dubnyk in Nashville SHOULD do well.

If he can put up with the team not scoring a bunch (we all know the Preds have never really been about scoring very many goals per game), at least he will know the defense will be there for him, and the actual job of stopping shots should be made easier.

With his UFA status coming up, Dubnyk also has the option of seeking employment elsewhere if he thinks he can't continue to develop with the Preds....especially if Pekka Rinne comes back fully healthy and ready to go for 2014-15 this coming off season.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

I think Scrivens will have flashbacks of his Leaf days when he saw obscene amounts of shots and odd man rushes come his way....come to think of it, Leafs goalies are STILL seeing that nowadays....

Hey, that's what they get for saying they like facing lots of shots! It's their own fault really.

Leafs are amazing at the "pinch-oops-crap" dance.