Can Vincent Lecavalier be traded

Mario99

He's got four and a half million reasons a year for the next four years not to retire.

I really don't think even Pronger would "retire" if there were no cap impliations. (Well, maybe not until 15-16...)

You just don't walk away from guaranteed money on the table.

Would you?

I guess it depends. He's made a huge chunk of change already, money might not matter anymore. I wouldn't know though, I actually have to go work everyday :/

The last three years are 10.5 mil total salary, which is 3 mil less than the average would have indicated.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/884

I guess it depends. He's made a huge chunk of change already, money might not matter anymore. I wouldn't know though, I actually have to go work everyday :/

The last three years are 10.5 mil total salary, which is 3 mil less than the average would have indicated.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/884

Even with serious injury and/or concussion, can you see Mrs. Lecavalier saying "honey, you should retire, because we don't really need that $10 million..."

I'm betting Mrs. Pronger wouldn't.

Use the NMC to have him "on IR" in the AHL? Sure. I can see that.

Outright retiring? I'm more willing to bet on avian bacon.

Even with serious injury and/or concussion, can you see Mrs. Lecavalier saying "honey, you should retire, because we don't really need that $10 million..."

I'm betting Mrs. Pronger wouldn't.

Use the NMC to have him "on IR" in the AHL? Sure. I can see that.

Outright retiring? I'm more willing to bet on avian bacon.

Yes, I could see that. Injuries are taken much more seriously now, and the long term repercussions are clearer now. Lappy of all people hung up the skates over injuries. Granted that's a rot on LTIR scenario, but the point is, he can outright retire without hurting the Flyers.

Want crazy? See Kovalchuk, Ilya.

Yes, I could see that. Injuries are taken much more seriously now, and the long term repercussions are clearer now. Lappy of all people hung up the skates over injuries. Granted that's a rot on LTIR scenario, but the point is, he can outright retire without hurting the Flyers.

Want crazy? See Kovalchuk, Ilya.

Right, but Kovalchuk is making bank in the KHL. He didn't walk away for nothing.

That said, Keith Primeau walked away from $6M. And into a job at SportsNet.

But Primeau's history with the team was a lot deeper than VLC's.

I'm always interested in this aspect....

I don't have time to look it up but let's say VLC has made 80m over his career.

If he took just 1/2 of what he's earned and Invested it correctly......at a conservative 6% per year, he's making 2.4m per year right there.

That's nearly 10m over 4 years.

That doesn't include endorsments & so on.....

I would hope that VLC (or his wife) don't need that extra $10m!

I'm always interested in this aspect....

I don't have time to look it up but let's say VLC has made 80m over his career.

If he took just 1/2 of what he's earned and Invested it correctly......at a conservative 6% per year, he's making 2.4m per year right there.

That's nearly 10m over 4 years.

That doesn't include endorsments & so on.....

I would hope that VLC (or his wife) don't need that extra $10m!

We've established it is within the realm of possibility (and I'm not sure how insurance works on those contracts) so let's take it a step further.

He's also getting $4.7M from the Bolts not to play for them this year. And next year. And $3.7M the year after that. And then $1.7M a year through 26-27.

Honestly, he doesn't really need to do a damn thing ever for the rest of his life if he wants to.

What sort of odds would you put on him just up and walking away a year or two and a half from now?

Currently none, but we will see as more injuries pile up.

Then why hold out for a five year deal in the first place? Given that reportedly the thing that pushed the Flyers over the competition was adding the fifth year?

Could be related to the salary structure, but he's still collecting signing bonuses in Year Four.

And "injuries" are exactly why the word "injury" is a root of Long Term Injured Reserve. And, for that matter, why Tampa bought out their long-time captain and face of the franchise.

Then why hold out for a five year deal in the first place? Given that reportedly the thing that pushed the Flyers over the competition was adding the fifth year?

Could be related to the salary structure, but he's still collecting signing bonuses in Year Four.

And "injuries" are exactly why the word "injury" is a root of Long Term Injured Reserve. And, for that matter, why Tampa bought out their long-time captain and face of the franchise.

LTIR doesn't hurt the cap, and it doesn't really worry me. If the extra year closed the deal, it makes sense. What would have been stupider would have been offering it in the first place. His prior buyout was purely a numbers issue, just look at that payout schedule. It looks like a lottery annuity.

All in all, I'm not sure what to make of it.