Who makes the playoffs from the Eastern Conference?

pilldoc

Who makes the Playoffs - Eastern Conference?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming Pittsburgh and Boston are a lock to make the Playoffs, pick the other 6 teams you think make the playoffs.

• Tampa Bay Lighting
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • New York Rangers
    • Philadelphia Flyers
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Detroit Red Wings
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Columbus Blue Jackets
    • Washington Capitals
    • Carolina Hurricanes
    • New Jersey Devils

I really like what @WingNut722 did to start a topic in the Red Wings section regarding playoffs.  If it is OK with @WingNut722, I would like to expand that to include all the teams in the Eastern Conference.  I listed the teams and their current standings as of today.  Of all the teams, which 8 make the playoffs?  That means the 3 top teams from each division and the 2 Wildcard teams.  For the sake of argument I am going to call Pittsburgh and Boston locks.  Also for the sake of argument, I believe nobody here thinks the NY Isles, Florida Panthers, and Buffalo Sabres will make the playoffs either since they are so far behind in points. therefore it is pointless for me to add them to the list. Therefore pick the other 6 teams.  Be prepared to defend for or against why certain teams will make it and other teams will fade away until draft time.  This can be based off of remaining schedule. key injuries (if any), intangibles, possible trades.  I think this is a great idea for a thread.  I hope most of you agree with me. I will do a separate thread for the Western Conference.

Current Standings (as of 2/25/14)

1. 83 points - Pittsburgh Penguins (LOCK)

2. 78 points - Boston Bruins (LOCK)

--------------------------------------------------------

3. 71 points - Tampa Bay Lighting

4. 70 points - Montreal Canadiens

5. 67 points - New York Rangers

6. 66 points - Philadelphia Flyers

-------------------------------------------------------

WILD CARD TEAMS:

7. 70 points - Toronto Maple Leafs

8. 64 points - Detroit Red Wings

===================================

BUBBLE TEAMS: (In the Hunt)

9. 63 points - Ottawa Senators

10. 63 points - Columbus Blue Jackets

11. 63 points - Washington Capitals

12: 61 points - Carolina Hurricanes

13. 61 Points - New Jersey Devils

====================================

WAITING FOR THE DRAFT:

14. 52 points - New York Islanders

15. 51 points - Florida Panthers

16. 38 points - Buffalo Sabres

Edited by pilldoc

I chose:

1. Boston 2. Penguins

3. Lightning With Stamkos due back they are close to a lock

4. Canadiens If Price plays like he did in the Olympics they are surely in

5. Leafs Bernier has taken the starting job and is running with it

6. Rangers Someone has to make the playoffs from this division

7. Senators Still not giving up on my preseason pick. I am about the only one

8. Bluejackets This year with Horton down the stretch they make it in

On the outside I have the Flyers, My Wings, the Hurricanes, Capitals and Devils, pretty much in that order. I could see the case for the Flyers taking the last spot from the Jackets, I just feel after coming sooooo close last season they will be the hungrier team this March.

1. Boston 2. Penguins

3. Lightning With Stamkos due back they are close to a lock

4. Canadiens If Price plays like he did in the Olympics they are surely in

5. Leafs Bernier has taken the starting job and is running with it

6. Rangers Someone has to make the playoffs from this division

7. Senators Still not giving up on my preseason pick. I am about the only one

8. Bluejackets This year with Horton down the stretch they make it in

If I'm not mistaken I believe the top 6 teams have to have 3 teams from each the Atlantic and Metro divisions.  The 7 and 8 positions are the Wild Cards regardless if they have a better record than one of the givens of the top 3 from the other division.

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/nhl/standings_conference.asp

@pilldoc

Nice job setting this up.

My top 6 are:

1. Boston

2. Pittsburgh  their lead drop due to the number of injuries on the team

3. Tampa Bay

4. Rangers Lundqvist will carry the team

5. Montreal

6. Flyers

Wild Cards

7.  Blue Jackets  just missing the 6 seed

8.  Maple Leafs  sneaking in over the Capitals

If I'm not mistaken I believe the top 6 teams have to have 3 teams from each the Atlantic and Metro divisions.  The 7 and 8 positions are the Wild Cards regardless if they have a better record than one of the givens of the top 3 from the other division.

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/nhl/standings_conference.asp

If I understand it correctly, three from each division have to make it, I am not certain of the final seeding I really was not listing them in a specific order, just using the numbers to count.

IMO it comes down to the Flyers and Jackets fighting for the third spot in that division, and the Senators and Wings fighting for another spot in the other division. I feel the Flyers and the Wings come up short in the battles. Like I said I am not predicting the final ranks, just who makes it.

@hf101 ...thanks.  @WingNut722 gets some credit.  It was his post that gave me this idea.

@yave1964 ....yes... my understanding is that the top 3 from each division make the playoffs.  The final 2 WC spots are the top 2 remaining teams regardless of division. (theoretically a division could send 5 teams to playoffs)

IMO:

1. Pens

2. Bruins

are both locks.  The Pens could slip to #2 seed due to injuries, but I just don't see them dropping any further.

In no particular order:

3. Tampa Bay - I forgot Stamkos will be coming back.  He should/will give them a huge lift.

4. Montreal - especially if Price continues his outstanding play from the Olympics

5. NY Rangers - Sir Henry will carry this team

6. Capitals - it was a toss up with Columbus, however, I think unlike with Team Russia, Ovie will carry this team like he did last year.

Wild Card Teams:

7. Toronto

8. Ottawa - going out on a limb here.  Their schedule looks favorable.  They have a couple games against the bottom feeders.

This means, and it pains me to say this, the Flyers are out.  I think there a just too many question marks on the blue line.  The Red Wings find out how hard it is to play in the more physical Eastern Conference.  Columbus will fall just short while the Devils and Hurricanes just don't have the guns to compete.

I see the Leafs falling out of contention. Those 40+ shots on goal they allow per night are a precursor for a bigger problem, team defense and d-men who struggle with the first pass out of the zone or the inability to skate the puck out of trouble. It will be close, but the Leafs will lose out on the last day of the reguar season, and the Flyers will make it on the last day of the reg season.

I see the Leafs falling out of contention. Those 40+ shots on goal they allow per night are a precursor for a bigger problem, team defense and d-men who struggle with the first pass out of the zone or the inability to skate the puck out of trouble. It will be close, but the Leafs will lose out on the last day of the reguar season, and the Flyers will make it on the last day of the reg season.

Even having Bernier in net you think the Leafs fail to make the playoffs?  Wow..interesting.  If that happens, there are going to be alot of pi$$ed off Leaf fans out there.

Even having Bernier in net you think the Leafs fail to make the playoffs?  Wow..interesting.  If that happens, there are going to be alot of pi$$ed off Leaf fans out there.

Ontario will burn when the miss the playoffs on the final day of the regular season!!  LOL!!  Bernier has been solid, and I expect him to continue that, but the Leafs allowing 35-40 shots on goal, that is a lot for a first time starter to overcome. Unless they can cut that back drastically, they are in for a big let down. Playoffs teams out work their opponents with regularity, and that is not happening in TO, thus my pick for the gigantic playoff miss.