What are the chances of the Sabres acquiring McDavid in 2015?

rjpags77

@rjpags77

Have you looked at their roster?

I'm guessing they pick 1st or 2nd next year. Even if they don't get McDavid, Eichel and Hanifan look to be good picks...though you guys are loaded at D prospects and may well be adding Ekblad this year.

@flyercanuck  Exblad, Ristolinan and Zadorov?  That looks like half of a championship defense to me. They are well on their way. I wonder if Halak is a piece to be moved or if they are planning on building around him?  Most know I'm a big Hackett fan, I hope he is not overlooked in this whole process...although I must admit, his AHL stats are pretty average this year, he should be killing it down there. If they do get Exblad, the defense is so set it's not even funny, just start loading up on the goal scorers. Gotta think Joel Armia is close, huh?

I've been kinda wondering how Catenacci's skill set would carry over to the pros. He had a disappointing rookie season for Rochester this season. He's got some nice wheels, but perhaps his defensive troubles and not scoring as a pro might end his career before it ever started.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=121933

@Hockey Junkie  I'm thinking that even if they don't win the lottery, they have enough raw assets to get the job done. Just depends on the potential trading partner is willing to even talk about dealing a player as important as McDavid. Certain teams would not even entertain the thought of trading McDavid....it very well could be a scenario where they *have* to win the lottery. You would think if they picked second, their 2 other first rounders should be more than enough to switch picks with the lottery winner. A lot might depend on if the team picking 1st already has an established superstar. Guys like McDavid can push season ticket sales through the roof, so an owner might not risk dealing him, no matter how good of a hockey deal it is.

He may very well turn out to be great, but it always seems odd to me that people get so excited the year BEFORE a 17 year old second year junior player's draft year.

I don't get to watch these players. So strictly by stats, he seems like a nice player but nothing to throw away three first round picks for.

I'll take people's word on it since I haven't seen him and he seems to have a consensus. I think I would look at other options before throwing 3 first round draft picks at a kid, though.

@flyercanuck  Exblad, Ristolinan and Zadorov?  That looks like half of a championship defense to me. They are well on their way. I wonder if Halak is a piece to be moved or if they are planning on building around him?  Most know I'm a big Hackett fan, I hope he is not overlooked in this whole process...although I must admit, his AHL stats are pretty average this year, he should be killing it down there. If they do get Exblad, the defense is so set it's not even funny, just start loading up on the goal scorers. Gotta think Joel Armia is close, huh?

Maybe Ekblad to go along with Ristolainen, Zadorov, McCabe, McNabb, Pysyk. and they have Myers? That's the most stacked D prospects I've ever seen. To the point where they could entertain offers for Ekblad if they won the lottery and move down...though with all their picks I wouldn't move more than 4 or 5 spots...I'd want quality, not quantity.

So strictly by stats, he seems like a nice player but nothing to throw away three first round picks for.

He is worth 3 first round picks in my estimation. I believe he's a generational talent, the kind of kid that comes along every decade or so....I love McKinnon's game, but I really think McDavid has a higher ceiling. He can do stuff at full speed (which is impressive, he can fly!) that most kids his age can't do at half speed. Put it this way, I believe the very worst he can be is a Tavares type of franchise player. I've never watched him live, but have seen him 4 games this year, jaw dropping talent.

• Like 1