Now what?!

SpikeDDS

How frustrating it is going to the sports section in the morning only to find the NEXT Red Wing center is down with injury. Helm left last night's game with an "upper body injury." PLEASE don't tell me it's his back again! (No report on what part of the upper body.)

This injury epidemic we have is getting insane. It never stops! It continues season after season. I know injuries are a part of this game, but we have had more than our share and to critical players. And that they seem to happen to center after center is ridiculous! We are out 4 centers right now: Z, Pav, Helm, and Weiss.

Thank goodness that Franzen and Bert are on a tear, and pray that they stay on it and stay healthy, because if we lose them too, we can kiss that 22-year playoff streak goodbye. If Helm stays out, I think we are done in that regard, anyway. Cory Emmerton is not gonna save us.

A shame that most of our star players will be wearing suits for Lidstrom's 5 raising.

@mojo1917

Might just be time to pull that trigger. With Datsyuk and Weiss both having setbacks, and now Helm out for however long...Holland might need to get on Kesler.  Holland also reported afew days ago that "optimistically," the Red Wings would need to make the Eastern Conference Finals for Zetterberg to even hope to get on the ice again.  So back to LTIR for him, and those funds could be used to buy Kesler from Vancouver.  Next year's payment for him would come out of the Samuelsson/Bertuzzi/Cleary account.

@mojo1917@WingNut722

Well, apparently David Legwand is going to be the answer. He is a rental, but he is coming home as he is a Detroit native, so there may be incentive for him to stay for future season(s). However, he seems to be a player in decline. Perhaps it is because his team has been in decline. Hard to know which comes first the chicken or the egg.

The other good news is that we didn't give up too much to get him. Jarnkrok and Eaves plus a 3rd or 2nd round pick depending on if we make the playoffs. The truth is that even though Jarnkrok has potential, there is a possibility that he might go home to Sweden if he didn't make the roster next season anyway. With our "surplus" of young talent, he was a good one to trade, IMHO. Same with Eaves.

I'm not thrilled with Legwand, but Kenny did need to do something, and I am very glad that he didn't overpay for Kesler. That would have been a mistake in my view. Legwand does meet an obvious immediate need--a legitimate 2nd or 3rd line center. Unfortunately, he's not really the scorer that I would have liked to get in an ideal world, but I'm thumbs up on this trade. Not terribly enthusiastic thumbs up, but not thumbs down.

This is gonna eventually push Weiss and Sheahan too, especially if Legwand is interested in staying beyond this season. I like that, but I don't want it to get int he way of development of our young players. This does bring a veteran in who could potentially take a roster spot from an up-and-comer, something we have suffered with for the past couple of years. But injury demanded something be done. Not bad, not great. OK.

@WingNut722

Don't know if you saw it, but they have reported that Helm is out due to headaches from a suspected concussion. At least it's not a recurrence of his back issue, but still this could be bad. Concussions are so unpredictable.

@SpikeDDS

I did not see the report on Helmer, but it might as well be his back.  Concussions, backspasms, and groin injuries are the most unpredictable and unforgiving injuries ever.  Steve Stamkos broke his friggin' leg, and was given a more-or-less definite timetable for his return.  It's getting kind of ridiculous.

I agree with the trade for Legwand, particularly in what we gave up.  I gotta believe Holland would have wanted to hang onto the draft pick but I'm sure David Poile recognized that his back was against the wall and pushed him for it.

Either way, Legwand is Nashville's franchise leader in points and has always been a dangerous Red Wing killer.  With Nashville in the lower half of the standings for the first time in several years, Legwand is not getting the offensive production that he's capable of.  Still, over his whole career, he's averaging a point every other game and consistently putting up 30-40 points in a season.  I agree with you that Legwand fills the centerman slot (take your pick which line).  Holland doesn't like the idea of rentals, but it seems he's banking on Zetterberg being out until training camp and really wants to keep that playoff streak alive.  

Legwand was a solid pickup, I am personally very high on Jarnkrok and cringed when he was dealt but we have players like Pulkkinen who have passed him and others such as Anthony Mantha who will be knocking on the door next season. I see why we dealt him but I am still high on him.

Legwand is only 33, seems like he is older, he has been around forever. Going forward he is a huge pickup for this year and would probably consider resigning at a reasonable deal as he comes from Detroit. He really ought to be fine with us. Like everyone else I would have rather gotten Kessler but the price was likely too high, just speculating but Nyquist plus a pick and I am glad Holland took the more conservative approach.

@yave1964

There were also rumblings that Jarnkrok was getting impatient and was considering returning to Sweden if he didn't make next season's roster. As slow (even now--you would think that we might have learned from the last two seasons, but I don't know that we have all the way) as the Wings are to bring up talent, if I had to answer the question, "Do I think Jarnkrok would have been on next year's roster out of the gate?" my answer is no. As we'very noted, we have a number of young players who are either ready or near-ready to take roster spots, and it's quite possible that Jarnkrok might have bolted for Sweden.

Unfortunately, last night wasn't a great start for Legwand...-2. Hopefully he'll find his best role quickly. He's a good player.

@SpikeDDS @WingNut722

Overall I was satisfied with Legwand last night, shook off the shock of the first trade of his career and played okay, at least he looked like an NHL center on the lice last night which some nights has been rare lately.

Jimmy Howard gave up another goal in the last minute of a game last night, two games in a row now and a chronic problem for the team all season. I cannot be mad anymore I am resigned to it. Looking at the players on the ice leaving after the game they look like they are at a loss too. If we have any chanced down the stretch Howard has to start winning not just some of these games but if not all then most of them.

@yave1964

Giving up a goal in the last minute of a game is not a big deal (unless it's in overtime).  The trick is to be ahead by more than one goal when you get to that point.  Granted, getting two goals on Colorado can be considered a pretty successful night this season, and it's good they squeaked out a point, especially since Washington lost outright to Boston.  But it is a chronic problem and can really kill them   

@yave1964 @WingNut722

I will say this about Legwand last night: despite his -2 and no points, he deserved a point on Jurco's goal, lifting the D's stick which allowed Sheahan's pass to reach Jurco with a wide open net in front of him. He was only 37% on his faceoffs. Hopefully his numbers improve as he gets acclimated.

The goals at the ends of periods are a significant problem. To deny the intangible momentum shift when that happens is dishonest. Matters not whether it is 1st, 2nd or 3rd or OT, although 3rd and OT are worse I suppose, because it costs us a point or a chance at one. For the record, Jimmy had NO chance on the game winner. Cross ice pass from behind the goal line to a wide open player ready to shoot. This is NOT all Jimmy's fault. Sometimes, it is. But many times it seems the D let's him down or at least forces him to try to make a stellar save. You can't go the well once too often with that, and we do. Yes, Jimmy needs to stop them every once in a while, but this is a TEAM problem, and likely a mental one more than anything else. Play until the freaking horn sounds, dang it!

@SpikeDDS  I agree, it was REAL smart to not give any of your youth to trade for Kesler. Thing is, I believe Nyqvist AND Sheahan will be better than Kesler and it' won't take to long. Sheahan in particular has the makings of  young star. One of the most important things for the Wings org *has* to be not blocking the way for a young star like Sheahan. They have to protect his playing time, and his ability to grow and evolve. Ditto for his linemates Jurco and Tatar. I love the fact they are grouped together and that whole line gives the Wings depth. They are a load to handle, and go to the net great as a group. Tons of talent and potential. I don't see any other team putting together such a great young trio. Those 3 and Nyqvist will be a huge part of the Wings for years and years to come, even fair to say they will form the nucleolus of the forward corps post Zetts and Dats. 

Not blocking Sheahan may involve letting Legwand be a rental. He's a quality player, but with Weiss (looking more and more like a huge mistake) Zetts, Helm and Datsuyk, there is only so much playing time to go around, even if you put Zetts and Dats together on the same line, there is a still a TOI problem at center. The more situations that Sheahan gets to play in, the better for the long term growth of the franchise.

• Like 1