Watch out David Legwand!

SpikeDDS

You will obviously be the main target of opposing defenses/teams. I mean, if they can somehow take you out of the game, who will the Wings replace you with, right? I'm sure there is a good center from a local high school, right? ;-)

In case you haven't been paying attention, Joakim Andersson is out with a broken akle/foot for at least two weeks. That's FIVE--count 'em, 5!--centers who are injured right now: Z, Datsyuk, Helm, Weiss, and Andersson. The Wings have called up Cory Emmerton to replace Andersson, leaving us with the powerhouse center lineup of Legwand, Sheahan, Glendening, and Emmerton.

I'm sorry, but what is the likelihood of the RWs, with this lineup of centers, making the playoffs? It's been a fantastic ride for 22 years, but like all rides, they eventually stop. I hope that the Wings leave enough time at the end to bring up some kids to develop, because the fat lady is warming up.

@SpikeDDS

You can be sure that Babs will not hesitate to shuffle Franzen from winger to center, especially if he doesn't produce tonight against Columbus the way he has been producing since the Olympic break.  Tonight is a must-win for DRW.  Columbus' game last night was postponed due to Rich Peverley's collapse on the bench, so we don't know how that would have turned out.  They also did not play 60 minutes of hockey so they're still relatively rested.   

Gotta win tonight.  If they win tonight, they still have a chance.  If they lose, particularly in regulation, they're toast...

The mule needs to move back to the middle . I know that he can do it, put Gus and Alfie with him as the first line, play the kid line and put Legwand with Abdelkaer and Bertuzzi.

Against the Rangers they were able to collpase against our top line and showed zero respect to any of the other lines on the ice. Breaking up the Mule and Legwand forces teams to play a bit more honest and does not allow them to concentrate on one line.

I know Helm is out at least a week, maybe longer, Andersson two to three weeks, what is the latest with Pavel and Weiss? We could use those two in the lineup.The way it is going we might need to get Draper out on the ice, lol.

Just found Pavel. As of 3-5 they said that they are shutting him down for three weeks and then going from there. I assume if we are dead in the water they will wrap up his season, 39 games, 33 points and either have surgery or rest him up for next year. If we are in it he will likely return and play on one leg for the rest of the year. Ugh.

I am not ready to write off Stephen Weiss just yet. Playing through a sports hernia had to have been agonizing and he took nearly all of our defensive zone faceoffs which makes it hard to score, so if he was healthy he might still be able to contribute. I cannot find much of anything since his latest set back last monday.

He essentially has missed the last two seasons, last year for the Panthers and this year for the Wings. That is a long time off to expect him to return to the player he once was and bleacher Report among others has discussion about the Wings resigning Legwand and letting Weiss go at the end of the season as a very expensive amnesty buyout. Babs truly does not seem to like him, it may be better to cut the loss now rather than almost 5 million tied up against the cap for a player who might not play.

If we resign Legward, that gives us Pavel, Legwand, Helm and Andersson down the middle with two or three others besides Weiss who can fill in the middle in a pinch. Weiss may be expendable. I feel bad in a lot of ways, his body never gave him a chance to prove what he could do.

@yave1964

Well, it's a bit early on the Weiss thing, but I was gonna suggest that he might be the buyout target. It's just too dang bad that BOTH Weiss and Helm seem to be made of glass. <sigh>

I also agree @yave1964 and @WingNut722 that we may be better off with Franzen in the middle. It all depends on the Kid line. If that line stays dangerous and can draw enough attention away from the NFL line to allow them to be productive, then I think the team may be better off leaving the NFL line intact. At least you do that until they stop being effective. The Rangers shut us down. If Columbus does the same, we're gonna have no choice but to break it up. We can't waste any games trying the Cory Emmerton experiment if we want a shot at the playoffs.

The Wings have called up Cory Emmerton to replace Andersson, leaving us with the powerhouse center lineup of Legwand, Sheahan, Glendening, and Emmerton.

Ya know, I don't know of another team that could suffer that many injured centers and still look semi-respectable.

Ya know, I don't know of another team that could suffer that many injured centers and still look semi-respectable.

You know, you are absolutely right, and I have to give credit to Mike Babcock. This has, without a doubt, been the most challenging coaching season for a Red Wings head coach since before Scotty Bowman arrived. Combine all the injuries we've had this year with uninspired play from the #1 goaltender for almost the first half of the season, not to mention the move from one conference to the other (which means different teams to coach against) and you've got the potential for a disastrous season. It has NOT been a disaster. We have (finally) seen some player development, and while I do think Babs and Kenny Holland were late in shifting gears from designs on the Cup to player development, I think they have come around to a significant degree--although admittedly much by necessity.

People are complaining about what KH gave away to get Legwand, but I still like the deal despite the cost. With both Helm and Weiss repeatedly hampered with injury, it was necessary to get a center who is reliable if for nothing else to help teach the young centers what is expected of them. I think there's a good chance they can resign him.

Having said that, it is now time to completely focus on development of our young players. If they are not ready now, we should at least find out where they are at this level, and not be as concerned about winning. This will be very difficult for Babcock. He is SO driven by winning, but winning in the NOW may not be in the RWs best interest looking forward, and I see hi struggling to put that drive aside, even for a few weeks.

There is no shame in having the streak end on your watch when you have had the kind of injury-riddled season that we have had. But it am not sure he can swallow that right now. What you said should give the team and their coach solace. No need to have your head down. It has been a great run. But like all streaks, they eventually end. I'd rather it end this way than by apathy or lack of effort.

@SpikeDDS  On the bright side, it appears the Wings got a potential star by picking Anthony Mantha with the 18th pick, imagine what star they could pluck with an actual lottery pick? Of course, all purely subjective depending on the depth of a particular draft.

• 3 weeks later...

You know, you are absolutely right, and I have to give credit to Mike Babcock. This has, without a doubt, been the most challenging coaching season for a Red Wings head coach since before Scotty Bowman arrived. Combine all the injuries we've had this year with uninspired play from the #1 goaltender for almost the first half of the season, not to mention the move from one conference to the other (which means different teams to coach against) and you've got the potential for a disastrous season. It has NOT been a disaster. We have (finally) seen some player development, and while I do think Babs and Kenny Holland were late in shifting gears from designs on the Cup to player development, I think they have come around to a significant degree--although admittedly much by necessity.

People are complaining about what KH gave away to get Legwand, but I still like the deal despite the cost. With both Helm and Weiss repeatedly hampered with injury, it was necessary to get a center who is reliable if for nothing else to help teach the young centers what is expected of them. I think there's a good chance they can resign him.

Having said that, it is now time to completely focus on development of our young players. If they are not ready now, we should at least find out where they are at this level, and not be as concerned about winning. This will be very difficult for Babcock. He is SO driven by winning, but winning in the NOW may not be in the RWs best interest looking forward, and I see hi struggling to put that drive aside, even for a few weeks.

There is no shame in having the streak end on your watch when you have had the kind of injury-riddled season that we have had. But it am not sure he can swallow that right now. What you said should give the team and their coach solace. No need to have your head down. It has been a great run. But like all streaks, they eventually end. I'd rather it end this way than by apathy or lack of effort.

Very good post sir.

I have to ask, were the Red wing fans upset about getting Legwand? I heard a few of my friend absolutely going berzerk over a prospect they gave up for him. It is rare I hear them complain about the Red wings front office(Which has been NHL best for like 2 decades) so something must be up