Bring on the Penguins!

yave1964

With last nights victory over the Sabres the Wings are looking more like a lock for the postseason, a 4 point lead over 9th place Toronto with a game at hand it looks like the Wings have finally gotten healthy at the right time.

Columbus lost a heartbreaker to the Blackhawks in regulation 4-3 on a goal by Ben Smith with 4 seconds to go. The Wings now have a 3 point lead over them with 5 games to go.

More and more it appears the Wings will play the Penguins in the first round. I love it. Win or lose, they are a team I enjoy playing,

Datsyuk was back last night, he started on the third line with Abdelkader and Alfredsson but by the third period he was centering Nyquist and Franzen. The line constantly pushed the puck and had opportunities. Pavel played over 16 minutes and was a bit rusty but it was wonderful seeing him in the lineup.

Dekeyser has developed so quickly, it is hard to believe he was still in college this time last year, just getting ready to make his NHL debut. A crisp shot, decision making like a 10 year vet.

Helm in the lineup makes us so much better. And with Pavel back in the lineup, we have speed and skill 4 lines deep.

Luke Glendening signed a 3 year contract extention last night. Grit and determination make up his game and he is going to eventually score a goal and get that monkey off his back and then they will start coming in droves. Mickey loves this kid, his man crush oozes with every word whenever Glendening is on the ice.

One last thought. Former Red Wing Ville Leino, signed to an absurd contract by the Sabres to provide offense after a solid post season run with the Flyers a few years ago has now played 53 games this season with zero goals. Not even one.

One last thought. Former Red Wing Ville Leino, signed to an absurd contract by the Sabres to provide offense after a solid post season run with the Flyers a few years ago has now played 53 games this season with zero goals. Not even one.

Well he is on the Buffalo Sabres team............ :o

With last nights victory over the Sabres the Wings are looking more like a lock for the postseason, a 4 point lead over 9th place Toronto with a game at hand it looks like the Wings have finally gotten healthy at the right time.

Columbus lost a heartbreaker to the Blackhawks in regulation 4-3 on a goal by Ben Smith with 4 seconds to go. The Wings now have a 3 point lead over them with 5 games to go.

More and more it appears the Wings will play the Penguins in the first round. I love it. Win or lose, they are a team I enjoy playing,

Datsyuk was back last night, he started on the third line with Abdelkader and Alfredsson but by the third period he was centering Nyquist and Franzen. The line constantly pushed the puck and had opportunities. Pavel played over 16 minutes and was a bit rusty but it was wonderful seeing him in the lineup.

Dekeyser has developed so quickly, it is hard to believe he was still in college this time last year, just getting ready to make his NHL debut. A crisp shot, decision making like a 10 year vet.

Helm in the lineup makes us so much better. And with Pavel back in the lineup, we have speed and skill 4 lines deep.

Luke Glendening signed a 3 year contract extention last night. Grit and determination make up his game and he is going to eventually score a goal and get that monkey off his back and then they will start coming in droves. Mickey loves this kid, his man crush oozes with every word whenever Glendening is on the ice.

One last thought. Former Red Wing Ville Leino, signed to an absurd contract by the Sabres to provide offense after a solid post season run with the Flyers a few years ago has now played 53 games this season with zero goals. Not even one.

Sigh, I don't have a good feeling going into the post season still, and you want to lock up with us.    Bad matchup for the Pens, especially, if they can't get Letang back.

That being said, I think that this could grow into a good rivalry with the two cup finals that they played in previously. Its sad they can't meet in the SCF again though.

Sigh, I don't have a good feeling going into the post season still, and you want to lock up with us.    Bad matchup for the Pens, especially, if they can't get Letang back.

That being said, I think that this could grow into a good rivalry with the two cup finals that they played in previously. Its sad they can't meet in the SCF again though.

The Penguins are kind of treading water right now, nothing to play for over the last month or so. They know they have the division wrapped up, they know they aren't catching Boston. With Malkin ect..... out they have been in a bit of a funk, going 5-6-1 over their past dozen games. Still, 103 points, a plus 46 goal differential and Malkin and quite possibly Letang due back, the team is a dangerous bunch.

The Wings have 88 points and likely will wrap up the 7 seed in the next few days. They have been peaking, carried by the kids. Datsyuk is back, Ericsson (our best defensive defenseman) is due back around the start of the playoffs, and Zetterberg seems to think that he can come back come the post season.

Stil, as much as I don't like admitting it, I don't think it is enough. Crosby seems to be on a mission this year, and Malkin always seems to have our number. I would have to say Penguins in six UNLESS:

Malkin rushes back and is a liability. Doubtful.

Fleury struggles. Very Possible.

Essentially I think this series will be in the Penguins hands to win or to lose. All things equal, I do not think the Wings match up well. I would still rather play the Penguins than the Bruins, but my reason is I enjoy the Wings/Penguins rivalry to no end. Like you I think it is too bad that we cannot play in the SCF.

All of this is of course predicated upon the Wings holding the 7 seed. With Columbus losing in regulation and the Wings winning last night while it is not a foregone conclusion but it is getting close.

• Like 1

@yave1964@nossagog

I, unfortunately, agree with yave. Pens in 6 if all goes as you'd draw it up. But that's why we play the games, because Fleury could be playoff(with a little p)-Fleury instead of Playoff-Fleury, and that changes the outlook significantly. Assuming this matchup happens--and let's not get too far ahead of ourselves just yet--I think it will depend on how well we contain Crosby. Glendening will be a very key player in that role. I'm VERY interested in seeing if he is able to move his game to the next level. I'm not talking offensively, although I'll take O too, but rather I'm talking about his defensive peskiness designed to frustrate and limit space around Crosby without taking penalties. Sometimes big stars get favorable calls, so finding the edge and playing right up to it will be key. The return of Ericsson will be key also in this regard.