GAA, I learned something new today

nossagog

Wow, for as long as I've watched hockey, I've never really thought about how they calculated the GAA statistic for goaltenders. I just assumed, that is was the average per game played. But as I was perusing stats today, I noticed that Ryan Miller's GAA was 1.88. I thought to myself, "Self, (that's what I call myself when talking to myself), how can his GAA be 1.88 when he has given up 7 goals in 3 games? ". The math didn't add up.

Well of course it doesn't when you see that GAA is calculated on minutes of playing time averaging the goals against vs the minutes played/60. In the regular season that doesn't really matter much. But in the playoffs, when you have a three overtime game, those 3 goals you gave up just became a 1.5 GAA.

After all these years of watching, I didn't know that. Huh, I guess I don't know as much as I thought. (By the way, you can ask my wife, she would probably agree)

Edited by nossagog

Ya know, in the back of my head I always knew this, because I know that getting the hook would affect your GAA. But I guess in my mind, over a season, with a max of 5 extra mins of OT, it didn't matter, and it was almost equivilant to per game.  But with a limited number of games in the Playoffs, one of which was a 3OT game, I was shocked at the difference

Wow, for as long as I've watched hockey, I've never really thought about how they calculated the GAA statistic for goaltenders. I just assumed, that is was the average per game played. But as I was perusing stats today, I noticed that Ryan Miller's GAA was 1.88. I thought to myself, "Self, (that's what I call myself when talking to myself), how can his GAA be 1.88 when he has given up 7 goals in 3 games? ". The math didn't add up.

Well of course it doesn't when you see that GAA is calculated on minutes of playing time averaging the goals against vs the minutes played/60. In the regular season that doesn't really matter much. But in the playoffs, when you have a three overtime game, those 3 goals you gave up just became a 1.5 GAA.

After all these years of watching, I didn't know that. Huh, I guess I don't know as much as I thought. (By the way, you can ask my wife, she would probably agree)

Yes. I saw / knew the same thing before and kind of inferred it on a couple of other threads regarding miller. 

Truthfully, from a purely statistical perspective, the barometer for me is save percentage. It, in a statistical sense, is allot more telling to how a goalie is playing. 

• Like 1

That means if you have shutout in a multiple OT game your GAA is a negative number :)

Yes. I saw / knew the same thing before and kind of inferred it on a couple of other threads regarding miller. 

Truthfully, from a purely statistical perspective, the barometer for me is save percentage. It, in a statistical sense, is allot more telling to how a goalie is playing. 

Absolutely. Save Pct. is a great tell for a goalie, followed by Goals against. That is why a guy like Grant Fuhr while a Hofer never gets mentioned on the list of great goalies. His Goals against is awful relatively speaking but is in context of the teams he played for and the era he played in easy to translate as good but his save Pct. was downright awful. Part of it was five guys rushed the other end and left him all alone but truthfully, his career .887 save pct. is just bad.