Update on Flyer prospects - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

flyercanuck

Here's a pretty good article on how Phillys future is coming along - from the promising seasons Laughton, Gostisbehere, Leier and Akeson are having to the letdowns of Cousins, Straka and yet again Bourdon...among others

.http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/106957/several-philadelphia-flyers-prospects-showed-strong-improvement-over-2013-14-season/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=several-philadelphia-flyers-prospects-showed-strong-improvement-over-2013-14-season

@brelic

Whether they all pan out or not, it sure is nice to have some real defensive prospects. And Laughton won't hurt in that dept. either.

Based on nothing but scouting reports, it seems like Ghost is the furthest along and also our best prospect. He would seem to have the tools to be a #1/2 in a similar way to a Timonen, Streit, Subban, etc. Not a true #1 in the Pronger/Weber/Suter mold, but top pairing.

Hagg, I have no idea. Morin, same thing. He's very raw, and doesn't project all that high.

Still, the most exciting prospects we've had on defense as far as I can remember. 

In an ideal world, Vinny gets moved, and you end up with G/Schenn/Coots/Laughton next year. Maybe even move Schenn to the wing, and slot Laughton with him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Laughton and Coots similar in style - hard-working two-way forwards with a focus on defense? There may be a duplication there... or not. 

And in a more ideal world, you move Grossmann and/or Luke to make room for Ghost and, say, Lauridsen. 

@brelic

Couturier was a back to back 90+ point guy in junior, Laughton to my knowledge never had that kind of output.

Laughton is a better skater, than Couturier,  and would probably make a better 3rd line player, to my mind Couturier's offensive abilities are neutered in his current role.

As he figures out how to use his size , with his handle he'll be a damn beast in the whole puck possession business.

I would love to see VLC moved for something, nothing , i don't care... he's a shell of himself and not the player i was expecting , at all.

@brelic

I'd expect Ghost to make the team first out of the Dmen. I still think he's a year away, solely for the size thing. Morin is likely 2-3 years away. Hagg, somewhere in the middle?

Couturier definately has better offensive skills than Laughton. Laughtons not terrible in that matter, but most of his offence comes from hard work. In the perfect world Vinnie gets moved (for a LWer with upside...I said perfect) Couturier develops into that 2nd line center and Laughton is your perfect 3rd.

I'd expect Ghost to make the team first out of the Dmen. I still think he's a year away, solely for the size thing. Morin is likely 2-3 years away. Hagg, somewhere in the middle?

I'd agree with that assessment, although I think the one thing that could propel Hagg is that he is Swedish. Seriously, Sedish D-men learn the finer points of playing D early.

Look at Lindholm in Anaheim this year. They just know what they are doing at a very young age. The rest of the equation is physical maturity and the other mental aspects of being a pro.

@mojo1917

@flyercanuck

Laughton did put up 87 points this year, including 40 goals, in 54 games. That's pretty close to Couturier's 96 in 58. Of course, Coots only played 3 years of junior, and Laughton hit this total in his 4th year. 

I'm still not sold on Couturier developing an offensive game beyond a 20/50 kind of guy. There's nothing wrong with that at all. The question will be whether that's enough production for our 2nd line center.

Schenn is also a question mark. He *might* develop into that role, and he might not. So, all is not lost if he ends up being a productive winger hovering around 30 goals, 60 points. Nothing wrong with that either! 

The equation on defense will change based on how we do in the playoffs. If we lose this round in 5 or 6 games, I think the Flyers will look at the defense in a much different way than if we make it to the 2nd round and beyond. Emery's been adequate at best, and our defense can't for the life of them stop the Rangers from gaining the zone. I've noticed MacDonald to be particularly bad on this as well as Schenn. MacDonald can at least recover somewhat once they're in the zone, but Schenn is often left running around, even when he has the puck!

Hopefully we won't need to talk about any of this stuff until after we hoist the Cup in a few months :P

@brelic

As much as most fans want NHL players to be at their peak in their first game, I think the number a lot of people put up as the amount of games it takes to totally get it in the NHL (if they're going to) is around 300. Couturier has played just over 200, Schenn just under.

@brelic

As much as most fans want NHL players to be at their peak in their first game, I think the number a lot of people put up as the amount of games it takes to totally get it in the NHL (if they're going to) is around 300. Couturier has played just over 200, Schenn just under.

Yes, it makes sense. Next year, Couturier should be poised for a breakout.