Is it time to worry about Fleury?

yave1964

MVP of the playoffs for us so far.

I don't know if I'd go that far.  Paul Martin has had one HECK of a playoff season so far.   Somewhere I read that after the first game of the Jackets series, he has not been on the ice for a 5v5 goal against.  This is by far so far his best season as a Pen, and he's continuing that play into the playoffs.

I don't know if I'd go that far.  Paul Martin has had one HECK of a playoff season so far.   Somewhere I read that after the first game of the Jackets series, he has not been on the ice for a 5v5 goal against.  This is by far so far his best season as a Pen, and he's continuing that play into the playoffs.

I agree Martin has been tops on defense.  And in all honesty, we see Niskanen rolled in the Jackets series and now Letang is really stepping up defensively in the Ranger series.  Hell, we even saw Malkin on a great backcheck to stop a wide open shot from 20 feet in the last game.  Who'd have thunk??!   But overall, Fleury has to have been the best player on the ice for the Pens from the start of the playoffs.  He had a 5 minute meltdown, sure, but take those five minutes away and you have without a doubt the MVP in my eyes.  A .925 save percentage, a 2.22 GAA, and back to back shutouts are a great argument in his favor.  Especially considering his history.  

It was a great R2 performance by MAF - barely outplayed by Lundqvist, if you can even call it that. Losing 3 in a row isn't on Fleury and winning 3 in a row isn't all about Lundqvist either. Both goalies were excellent... I would've liked to see Fleury's intensity in some of your Pens' skaters, esp in G6 and 7. Soft D (forwards) and losing too many battles. Meanwhile Fleury was scrambling, covering loose pucks and best of all - hardly any rebounds, and zero dangerous ones.

Crazy to think - he was certainly a question mark coming into the POs for obvious reasons. And now after 2 rounds the hockey world can say without a doubt he held up his end, did all he could to help the Pens advance. If only he coulda scored a goal or 2...

It was a great R2 performance by MAF - barely outplayed by Lundqvist, if you can even call it that. Losing 3 in a row isn't on Fleury and winning 3 in a row isn't all about Lundqvist either. Both goalies were excellent... I would've liked to see Fleury's intensity in some of your Pens' skaters, esp in G6 and 7. Soft D (forwards) and losing too many battles. Meanwhile Fleury was scrambling, covering loose pucks and best of all - hardly any rebounds, and zero dangerous ones.

Crazy to think - he was certainly a question mark coming into the POs for obvious reasons. And now after 2 rounds the hockey world can say without a doubt he held up his end, did all he could to help the Pens advance. If only he coulda scored a goal or 2...

Silver lining from an otherwise disastrous series.  I think his past is behind him now. ;)   The question of his future will come up after next season.