Thoughts on instant replay

yave1964

My wife has been saying for several years that it might be a good idea to consider coaches challenges in the NHL playoffs. I am beginning to say I might agree with her.

In the Wild series they had the Stastny offside call which could have been overturned. In the Tampa/Montreal series a wretched call robbed the Lightning of a goal. Last night Justin Williams pushed the goalie for San Jose on a controversial goal. It seems every night there is something.

What she has suggested is post season only each team has one challenge a game. If you lose use your challenge and lose it you get a 2 minute delay of game penalty so you better be damn sure.

Thoughts and opinions?

Edited by yave1964

What she has suggested is post season only each team has one challenge a game. If you lose use your challenge and lose it you get a 2 minute delay of game penalty so you better be damn sure.

Thoughts and opinions?

But how would it work?? Is it like throwing a red flag in American Football? I like the idea. But would say you get ONE red flag a game. 

In order for it to be successful, you need the folks in Toronto not to have their thumbs up their nose and head in their asses. 

My wife has been saying for several years that it might be a good idea to consider coaches challenges in the NHL playoffs. I am beginning to say I might agree with her.

In the Wild series they had the Stastny offside call which could have been overturned. In the Tampa/Montreal series a wretched call robbed the Lightning of a goal. Last night Justin Williams pushed the goalie for San Jose on a controversial goal. It seems every night there is something.

Thoughts and opinions?

Hell yes.

You should be able to choose to take a 2 minute penalty or get your timeout taken away. Automatic 2 minute penalty if you have already used your timeout.

But if you are right, it is freaking worth it because it cancels an unfair goal that they say "is not reviewable"

Why not review the play starting with making sure it is on side and no other penalty by the team that scores a goal?   Would that eliminate the need for the red flag approach?