Top 5 Salaries Per Team - Fact or Fiction?

B21

This is a list of the teams "leading" the NHL in total salary among their 5 highest paid players for the 2014-15 season.

The Hawks and Rangers are in the Conference Finals. One of the Kings and Ducks will be. The Pens and Bruins were favored to make it there out of the East and were 1-2 (by far) in the regular season.  The Pens were in the pack (instead of leading it) until the Letang deal kicked in for the 2014-15 season.  The Hawks will need to resign Kane AND Toews after the the 2015 season which will likely push them into the lead (both at $6,300,000 now).  I expect them to do so.

So is the model really THAT bad?

Pittsburgh 35,450,000 New YorkRangers 33,291,667 Boston 31,666,667 Los Angeles 31,225,000 Chicago 30,300,000 Anaheim

It's not a bad model when those 'top-5' players actually earn that money in the playoffs.  

Richards, Lunqvist, etc. are earning that pay (NOT NASH)

Kopi, Carter, Quick, Doughty... earning

Kane, Toews, Hossa, etc... earning

Anaheim/Bost had mixed results from those 'top 5'ers'

Your stars didn't perform. period.  Fleury was ok I guess.

So no, the model can work.  If the parts are put together properly.

It's not a bad model when those 'top-5' players actually earn that money in the playoffs.

Your stars didn't perform. period. Fleury was ok I guess.

So no, the model can work. If the parts are put together properly.

So you're saying our 1 Cup is worth less than the Rangers' ZERO Cups? Or the Kings' ONE Cup? Anaheim's ONE Cup? Boston and Chicago have two, but that's not a huge lead...

Your stars didn't perform. period.  Fleury was ok I guess.

So no, the model can work.  If the parts are put together properly.

Agree.  It can work...and it has worked for the Pens in the past.  That said, I'm not against trading 1 or 2 of those salaries...for the right return. ;)

So you're saying our 1 Cup is worth less than the Rangers' ZERO Cups? Or the Kings' ONE Cup? Anaheim's ONE Cup? Boston and Chicago have two, but that's not a huge lead...

Five seaons have passed since your cup. The Flyers made the finals in 2010...that doesn't make them contenders now. Boston looked like contenders for years to come, but Chara aged and that hurt them.

I think Crosby and Malkin earn their money. Letang is overpaid starting now. Playoff Fleury can be had for less money. Neal has to be able to do something on his own other than stupid.. I can name several Flyers who are overpaid too IMO. Or stupid. But we went out in the first round so this isn't about us.

If i could move Letang he's my first move. Maybe Niskanen stays? Pouliot looks to be Letangs eventual replacement.

What about that Malkin/letang for Backes/Tarasenko/Pietrangelo blockbuster...would you do that? That frees up $3 million too. More depth, better D.

Five seaons have passed since your cup. The Flyers made the finals in 2010...that doesn't make them contenders now. Boston looked like contenders for years to come, but Chara aged and that hurt them.

I think Crosby and Malkin earn their money. Letang is overpaid starting now. Playoff Fleury can be had for less money. Neal has to be able to do something on his own other than stupid.. I can name several Flyers who are overpaid too IMO. Or stupid. But we went out in the first round so this isn't about us.

If i could move Letang he's my first move. Maybe Niskanen stays? Pouliot looks to be Letangs eventual replacement.

What about that Malkin/letang for Backes/Tarasenko/Pietrangelo blockbuster...would you do that? That frees up $3 million too. More depth, better D.

I would do that deal but I doubt the Blues would. The thing with Letang is, guys like MacDonald and Wideman drove those defenseman prices up. When they're making $5 million Letang gets $7.5... Unfortunately that's the business.

@Polaris922

I get why he got it. I'm just not sold on him being worth it. He's a nice piece to have. But he's more a specialized piece than all around. And that's a big hit. Malkin and Letang could bring the Blues the scoring they need. Pens get depth, grit and a better defenceman. I think it's a win-win. And I hate making trade proposals.

Wow... sensitive still eh?  The guy asked a question... I answered with facts and you get testy.

Where did I mention ANYTHING about someone's cups being worth more than yours??

The 'top-5' system works... if your players perfom... yours didn't.   Don't shoot the messenger.

If you want people to post homerish pens drivel, don't hold your breath.

Edited by fishbulb
  • Like 1

Wow... sensitive still eh? The guy asked a question... I answered with facts and you get testy.

Where did I mention ANYTHING about someone's cups being worth more than yours??

The 'top-5' system works... if your players perfom... yours didn't. Don't shoot the messenger.

If you want people to post homerish pens drivel, don't hold your breath.

Who got testy? You're think skinned if that seemed testy to you. Just saying they are right there with those teams as far as success. It's been 5 seasons now since it succeeded, sure, but it works. It had been 17 seasons the other way.

As for homerish pens drivel, I'll just ignore that as unnecessary nonsense added thinking I was being abusive towards you. If you know me you know better.

Polaris is a "Crosby Apologist" but not a rabble rouser :P

Crosby apologist?   What do I have to apologize for?  What does Crosby have to apologize for?  Maybe punching some guy in the rectum (though I'm sure he deserved it)...  or....  I just figured it out.  There was a picture where he took his 16  year old sister to the Bieber concert.  THAT he still has to apologize for!