Trading James Neal?

brelic

@B21

Hated the trade from day 1. Was a big Pronger fan from his Peterborough Petes days, but knew that contract was going to haunt us.

Hating the trade is one thing. Feelings on the player are another. ;)

@B21

I always thought Pronger was an Asshole.

I did however like many aspects of his game, I didn't mind his sharp elbows , I don't think anyone liked the skate blade business backinaday.

He was an undeniably great hockey player.  Big shot, shut down guy, the opposition's skill guys needed to know where he was, there's something to that. He could control the game in his 22 plus minutes a night, he was elite.

I was initially not crazy about the trade, i liked Sbisa ,I thought Pronger was too old and played too many hard minutes. but thought, as many of us did, if we win the cup it was a good trade, well that didn't happen.  He blew up the lockerroom because as i said he's an asshole, Carter/Richards chaffed at his presence, management sided with Pronger's approach...and here we are

The club still struggles from the lack of assets given up to bring him to town.   

peoples opinions on the guy are not black and white, at least this person's opinion isn't.

In 10 years we'll see if James Kneeal has any kind of resume to be conflicted over, right now he's pretty easy to dismiss as a good offensive player with a wreckless , disrespectful mean streak.  

@B21

I always thought Pronger was an Asshole.

I did however like many aspects of his game, I didn't mind his sharp elbows , I don't think anyone liked the skate blade business backinaday.

He was an undeniably great hockey player.  Big shot, shut down guy, the opposition's skill guys needed to know where he was, there's something to that. He could control the game in his 22 plus minutes a night, he was elite.

I was initially not crazy about the trade, i liked Sbisa ,I thought Pronger was too old and played too many hard minutes. but thought, as many of us did, if we win the cup it was a good trade, well that didn't happen.  He blew up the lockerroom because as i said he's an asshole, Carter/Richards chaffed at his presence, management sided with Pronger's approach...and here we are

The club still struggles from the lack of assets given up to bring him to town.   

peoples opinions on the guy are not black and white, at least this person's opinion isn't.

In 10 years we'll see if James Kneeal has any kind of resume to be conflicted over, right now he's pretty easy to dismiss as a good offensive player with a wreckless , disrespectful mean streak.  

I love Pronger's game.  I'd take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

I was skeptical of that trade/contract as well and of course, in hindsight, it ended up being pretty awful.  That's neither here nor there.

I think you see what I am getting at.  Pronger's an asshole (in my opinion one of the biggest POS to ever play) but if he helps your team win - you live with it.

It just rubs me the wrong way all the comments over the years about Cooke and Neal when no Flyers fans took issue with a far dirtier player when your team acquired him.  That's not the same as having a problem with the trade due to his age, the contract, etc. 

It just rubs me the wrong way all the comments over the years about Cooke and Neal when no Flyers fans took issue with a far dirtier player when your team acquired him. 

I can tell ya I had those conversations.

I said that the only thing that would make the Pronger trade worthwhile was a Cup.

Not a "finals" not a "great run" - a Cup. At least one.

And we didn't even get that.

In the end, yes, it does come down to the crest on the front trumping the name on the back. But I didn't like Carcillo when he was a Flyer. I joined many in howling loudly when Billy Tibbetts arrived. I don't want an Avery or a Barnaby or such on my team.

And yet I like Steve Ott, so go figure.