Jeff Carter

coords

If your friend the prince could have bought us a Steve Mason type in net back in 2010 we'd have a banner in the rafters and Carter and Richards and Pronger and Briere would walk together forever.

Of that I have absolutely no doubt.

Funny enough, he hasn't had 30/60 in a single season (let alone more than one in a row) since leaving. If he had, we're not having this conversation.

I don't feel the least bit guilty, wrong, or overzealous in saying it wasn't going to happen here with them at the helm. It's not presumptuous, it's astute. If someone can look at their time here and is still all "We don't know what would have happened", I've got a wonderful investment opportunity for you. All you have to do is mail your life savings to my friend in Nigeria. He's a prince, so you can trust him.

Carter had plenty of time to develop in Philly. I don't think the board fully appreciates what a good coach Suter is

I have said this repeatedly on a couple of threads and in game chats. He is a ball buster for sure- he demands nothing more than utmost effort. Yet, he also knows the buttons to push. I like Suter. He has done a nice job of getting the boys ready when they needed to be (they had another ho hum year offensively and light up the stars in the playoffs). 

The huge difference between the Flyers Carter and the present day Carter is one thing....and one thing only...his work ethic. Secondary thing is he seems to be able to use his teammates better, and in general, sees the ice better.

Secondary thing is he seems to be able to use his teammates better, and in general, sees the ice better.

I think he has always seen them....I think Suter "enlightened" him with the knowledge that he would not be seeing much ice time unless he chooses to use his line mates instead of streaking solo down the ice then shooting high and wide........I too believe that his exile to Columbus taught him that if he wants to avoid that situation again, he had better listen to his coach.

You say work ethic, but I disagree. I say confidence in himself and the system he plays within. That's where the vision comes from.

Do you think hitch, Steve and Pete ever told him to look for the pass first? That his wing would be here: X and the d man would be here: Y and when he is converged upon he should pass to that spot (not the man)?

No. They said to everyone else: find Carter so he can shoot. Jeff, get open.

Sutter has a plan. His players trust him and can execute it.

The huge difference between the Flyers Carter and the present day Carter is one thing....and one thing only...his work ethic. Secondary thing is he seems to be able to use his teammates better, and in general, sees the ice better.

I disagree. In philly I think he was told to score and his line mates were told to see him.

I think Sutter said, Jeff, this is what a center does in my system. If we play you on wing on the PP here's what that guys does.

It's the coach to be sure, but the system too.

I think he has always seen them....I think Suter "enlightened" him with the knowledge that he would not be seeing much ice time unless he chooses to use his line mates instead of streaking solo down the ice then shooting high and wide........I too believe that his exile to Columbus taught him that if he wants to avoid that situation again, he had better listen to his coach.

Your comments lead me to suspect you're not watching these games.

He's not playing like a guy on a hot streak he's playing like someone seeing the ice better than anyone else out there.

Honestly. He's not passing like this, or skating as smoothly as this, but the way he seems to be seeing the ice and the confidence with which he is slaking reminds me of Forsberg.

He's not a player on a hot streak, he's "seeing the matrix" right now. It's 100% all about confidence IMHO as well.

As far as his production regressing, don't you think that has more to do with him buying into a system than it is about him playing worse? Many if the Kings numbers are down over that same stretch.

Yet they have one cup, a conf finals appearance and a 3 game lead in a 2nd cup finals to show for it.

I mocked Yzerman for taking Carter for the Olympics, but obviously I was wrong. The guy's game has just developed and arrived. Winning isn't about one guy having numbers. It's about your team having more goals than the other team.

If we care about winning, regression is the ansolute last thing Carter has done.

Carter's PPG since leaving:

13-14: .69

12-13: .69

11-12: .59 as a King and .64 as a Blue Jacket

13-14 PO: .96

This is the very definition of a hot streak. If he maintains a level of player comparable to what he is now (or something relatively close) that is when we get talk about him getting better vs. being on another tear.

I think you'd be right if he was playing the same game, just scoring more.  That's what a hot steak means to me.

a Guy whose game looks different and more complete AND is putting in a lot more goals is something different.  I don't think the two are mutually exclusive either. I think his game has changed, his team has changed, his coach has changed and it's all falling into place for him in a big way.

Primeau was on a hot streak in 2004, but in addition to that his game had really evolved completely.  He wasn't scoring as much, but he was clearly playing the best hockey of his life all year and then went bananas in the playoffs.

That very clearly had to do with buying into Hitch's system and figuring out how to take that to the next level in the PO's and oh by the way put Rex and Gags on his wings and watch the magic.  Carter looks kind of similar to be honest.  For his sake I hope his career isn't ruined by a few cheap head shots next season the way Keith's was.

This is the very definition of a hot streak. If he maintains a level of player comparable to what he is now (or something relatively close) that is when we get talk about him getting better vs. being on another tear.

Getting traded to the Blue Jackets should be enough to wake anyone's career mindedness up. I think Carter got the kick in the butt he seemed to need. Unfortunately for the Blue Jackets, that just didn't manifest itself until he got clear of Columbus.