Who the Hell is Willie Desjardins?

yave1964

I will be honest, I know close to nothing about this guy. I remember watching a game between Texas and Cleveland (Lake Erie) during the lockout, I don't remember if I even looked at the bench and noticed him.

I had to cheat, a little guy, he never had a career. He has been around forever as an assistant coach on some level or another. The Dallas Stars had him as an assistant and sent him to the AHL to get experience, to groom him as a future coach apparently. After winning the Calder this year with the Texas Stars the 57 year old's stock rose and he was considered a hot signing. Supposedly the Penguins were in the running for him as well but he was snatched up by the Canucks.

He could be another Bruce Boudreau, a career hockey guy who gets a break late in life and takes advantage of it, after years of riding the bus. Every thing I have read says he is a much better fit with the Canucks than the Penguins. Truthfully, I agree, the passivity of the Vancouver vets make it easier for a minor leaguer to step into the role, I think someone with his pedigree would be eaten alive and spat out rather quickly by the Penguins vets. In Vancouver, after Torts he has to be a breath of fresh air.

@

yave1964

He also won a WHL title with Medicine Hat in 2004 ya boy Darren Helm (the following year) was on that team as well as Clarke MacArthur, Derek Dorsett, Cam Barker and Kris Russell. 

He has come out of nowhere late in life to be the hot coaching hire, kind of like Boudreau did with Washington. 30 years of hanging around Hockey looking for a big break and it finally came. I wish him well, even if I cannot stand the Canucks.

I wish him well, even if I cannot stand the Canucks.

Yes first thing they need to do i think is go out and sign Hiller to secure the goaltending duties there. Not sure about just going with Lack and Markstrom.

@OccamsRazor  On the bright side, going with Lack, Markstrom and the sisters might put them in the McDavid sweeptakes.

And trading Kesler to for prospects or younger player will to good point. Cause it is tough as hell out there to get to the top in the West. So they may be better shooting for McDavid. I'd love to get Beiska from them always liked him.

• 3 months later...

Watching Dejardins' antics behind the Canucks bench during Wednesday night's season opener made me all nervous and jerky - just like him.  I've never seen any pro coach that stressed out - wow.  Hopefully, he can find a way to relax more as the season progresses.

Archived