Holland

Quincey??????? OMG Holland has to go. of course we have lost Yzerman and Nill while waiting for Holland to call it a career, this is the all time worst free agent day in Wings history. nobody wants to come here. pathetic.

This is like christmas with a GREAT looking (cap space) tree with nothing under it (no UFA signings).

What were your expectations? Just curious? You have 9+m in cap to play with, but some key positions to fill. How is the farm. This actually sounds like the dialogue (in reverse) with a pens fan regarding cap hit / space. 

For me, don't get too enamored with the shiny new toy that just passed by.

I honestly don't know much about holland- i just know that your team always compete hard and not withstanding  significant injuries last year, could have made a decent run. 

What were your expectations? Just curious? You have 9+m in cap to play with, but some key positions to fill. How is the farm. This actually sounds like the dialogue (in reverse) with a pens fan regarding cap hit / space. 

For me, don't get too enamored with the shiny new toy that just passed by.

I honestly don't know much about holland- i just know that your team always compete hard and not withstanding  significant injuries last year, could have made a decent run.

My expectations? One of the following. Erhoof, Boyle or Niskanen. I that order!

• Like 1

My expectations? One of the following. Erhoof, Boyle or Niskanen. I that order!

Ehrhoff is trying to drive his value up with a year if Sid and Malkin. Boyle turned down a 3 year deal for less money and 2 years of playing with his old buddy MSL. No idea what Niskanen was thinking.

Ehrhoff is trying to drive his value up with a year if Sid and Malkin. Boyle turned down a 3 year deal for less money and 2 years of playing with his old buddy MSL. No idea what Niskanen was thinking.

Holland did NOT blow them out of the water.  Just like Suter.  If you put the "can't refuse it" offer out there they'd have a great UFA or two.

Name the last big UFA Holland has brought in?

Holland did NOT blow them out of the water.  Just like Suter.  If you put the "can't refuse it" offer out there they'd have a great UFA or two.

Name the last big UFA Holland has brought in?

Well, you can always look at teams in Cap hell and offer sheet their RFA's if you do not mind giving up draft picks when they do not match. Boston For example has Torey Krug. Signing him to an offer sheet has one of two possible positive effects.

#1, you get a young 23 year old defenseman who was the only reason Boston's PP did not utterly suck last season.

14 goals and 40 points in a rookie season is pretty darn promising. 10 points in 12 playoff games. In fact, he led the Bruins in playoff scoring.

#2 if they match, you help handcuff a division rival who is in Cap hell right now, forcing them to move other Roster players. Boston has Savard coming off the books, but has 5 million in Bonus money from last season cancelling it out, giving them only 1.6 million to resign not only Krug, but Reilly Smith and Bartkowski

Well, you can always look at teams in Cap hell and offer sheet their RFA's if you do not mind giving up draft picks when they do not match. Boston For example has Torey Krug. Signing him to an offer sheet has one of two possible positive effects.

This is a great point JoeT. I really hate the "i am your buddy" gm principle when it comes to offer sheets. Its BS to me. EVERY gm should be trying to make his team better by all the tools given to him. Why offer sheets are a taboo is beyond me. I can understand it in a non-cap world (the rich poaching on the poor), but in a cap world, fair game I say. 

And for OldSchool- would you like our president and former GM Homer to do you wheeling and dealing? 

This is a great point JoeT. I really hate the "i am your buddy" gm principle when it comes to offer sheets. Its BS to me. EVERY gm should be trying to make his team better by all the tools given to him. Why offer sheets are a taboo is beyond me. I can understand it in a non-cap world (the rich poaching on the poor), but in a cap world, fair game I say. 

And for OldSchool- would you like our president and former GM Homer to do you wheeling and dealing? 

Van, you have no idea how much I can't wait for the day teams start abusing the offer sheet button. I am stunned more division rivals are not doing it. STUNNED. If I am Doug Wilson, I would seriously consider offering RFA contracts to some of the LA kings up and comers like Toffoli just to put a dink in their arse.

Let's face it, unless you are paying more than 6.7 million dollars, the worst you can get penalized is a first, second and third.

Effectively, if you offer sheet a young superstar 6.7 million Dollars, and the other team cannot match, you have traded them a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for a 6.7 million dollar player. People give up more than that at the trade deadline for Rentals for christ sakes. And you are getting a young superstar.

Think about it Detroit fans. If Buffalo next season decides to offer sheet Nyquist 6.7 million over 7 years, or whatever. How pissed are you? Obviously you have to match, but you might not be fond of spending that much. Now imagine the same situation, but imagine the wings are near the cap and would have to dump someone to make room.

Krug will not get that kind of money, but I could see a team offering him between 3.3 million and 5 million(Compensation is a 1st and 3rd), which effectively makes it hard for Boston to match, while getting a rookie player who was dynamite on Boston's PP. Think about it. A 23 year old left side defenseman who just scored 40 points in his rookie year, effectively traded for a 1st and 3rd. Imagine if 2 GM's get on the phone and someone else Offer sheets Reilly Smith, who just scored 51 points and was +28 in his first full NHL season.

Boston either matches, or loses the players(Nobody wants to lose their youth). Matching will require them to dump salary. Which will require them to dump other good players.

Boston either matches, or loses the players(Nobody wants to lose their youth). Matching will require them to dump salary. Which will require them to dump other good players.

Agree with everything you stated. There is a reason that in the CBA there is clear compensation. It is a strategic move to make a club better. Not every team has deep pockets- even in the cap era, but so what. For me, balls out in business and I will still be your buddy on the golf course. 

The problem is it seems reverse in the NHL. I get the buddy - buddy / keep your enemies closer thing, but we are talking about multi million dollar corporations. 

At the end of the day, its the fans that pay everyone. Why cow tow to other gms when you should be kissing the feet of the fans and putting the best product on ice to pacify them. 

Great to see many great moves (sacrcasim) made by Kenny.

Can't wait to hear "it just didn't fit"!

Ummm....... If we had this kinda stuff filling up an AHL roster, I'd never have a bad thing to say about my GM....EVER. He has set your team up for the next decade. Yieesssshhhh.....no respect.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/detroit_red_wings/

• Like 1

Agree with everything you stated. There is a reason that in the CBA there is clear compensation. It is a strategic move to make a club better. Not every team has deep pockets- even in the cap era, but so what. For me, balls out in business and I will still be your buddy on the golf course. 

The problem is it seems reverse in the NHL. I get the buddy - buddy / keep your enemies closer thing, but we are talking about multi million dollar corporations. 

At the end of the day, its the fans that pay everyone. Why cow tow to other gms when you should be kissing the feet of the fans and putting the best product on ice to pacify them.

Are you saying there's collusion in the NHL? Why wouldn't the NHLPA be over that?

Ummm....... If we had this kinda stuff filling up an AHL roster, I'd never have a bad thing to say about my GM....EVER. He has set your team up for the next decade. Yieesssshhhh.....no respect.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/detroit_red_wings/

2008 is long ago and many of those players were Bowman players.

Are you saying there's collusion in the NHL? Why wouldn't the NHLPA be over that?

Absolutely not (on collusion). What I am saying is that the offer sheet has been in place for a long time. Its a tool in the tool chest. Yet, nobody (except the Flyers), choose to use that tool. It certainly comes at a cost, but reasonable and appropriate to the player you want to ply from the other team. 

So, no to collusion, but yes to buddy buddy syndrome. I think the problem is that nobody wants to exercise it because of "burning a bridge" for the future. I say eff that. I will still play golf with you at the GM conference. 

@Old School Hockey  In all fairness, I don't think you go into camp with what is there right now. Don't know how much Holland will tinker/alter the line-up as a whole, but I'd be willing to bet some type of new d-man will be in the top 6 before it's all said and done.....just a hunch.

I have been saying for years that the game has passed Holland by and he needs to go, Nill and Yzerman getting away is inexcusable. Holland deserves the accolades, for yesterday. Our future as an organization is dark because Holland didn't stepp aside for fresh blood that understood the game.

@Old School Hockey In all fairness, I don't think you go into camp with what is there right now. Don't know how much Holland will tinker/alter the line-up as a whole, but I'd be willing to bet some type of new d-man will be in the top 6 before it's all said and done.....just a hunch.

Unless he pulls off a blockbuster deal this off season has been a bust. IMO it started in 09 when he picked Franzen over Hossa! And it's gone down hill since as has the success of the team.

Unless he pulls off a blockbuster deal this off season has been a bust. IMO it started in 09 when he picked Franzen over Hossa! And it's gone down hill since as has the success of the team.

In a general sense - Why?

Do you think it is because of league and International rules regarding how long a NHL franchise can hold onto it's European players?  Detroit used to be able to hang on to it's prospects for years and years before they came to play in the NHL.

Or other team scouts are doing a better job of researching the European players?  Thus more competition for the better players.

Or Detroit's scouting team has changed?

Something else?