Flyers sign Nick Schultz (D); trade McGinn

brelic

Watch for this to do nothing but grow and grow over the years as GMs seem to *finally* be figuring out that defensive defensemen without a shred of ability to move the puck whether by pass or skate aren't the great item they were thought to be for so long. Misery is a D-man whose biggest asset is "off the glass and out".

I agree if anthing were learned from this past playoffs is you need 6guys who can skate they don't have to be big just help move the puck.

I agree if anthing were learned from this past playoffs is you need 6guys who can skate they don't have to be big just help move the puck.

Behold, the Oilers breakout scheme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl0yS580QI8

Stop and consider for a moment that Taylor Hall finished 6th in the NHL in scoring with THAT for a breakout pass.

Behold, the Oilers breakout scheme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl0yS580QI8

Stop and consider for a moment that Taylor Hall finished 6th in the NHL in scoring with THAT for a breakout pass.

Please tell me you didn't post that to make me feel better!!! UUUUgggghhhhh that was horrible.

If Nick Shultz was faster and made better breakout passes he wouldn't be a 7th defensemen. Just saying,  

With EDM he played around 20 mins in many games, that's top 4 kind of ice time and he's not that kind of player.  With CBJ he played fewer mins and played reasonably well from what I've heard. As a 7th D man who you can trust in your own end, Shultz is just fine.

Watch for this to do nothing but grow and grow over the years as GMs seem to *finally* be figuring out that defensive defensemen without a shred of ability to move the puck whether by pass or skate aren't the great item they were thought to be for so long. Misery is a D-man whose biggest asset is "off the glass and out".

They are good for the PK and shot blocking, but not much more than that.

I.E Brad Stuart. I still can't believe we got a 2nd and 6th for him without retaining salary. I would have given someone a 6th just to take him for future considerations