Johnny Boychuk Trade Rumors

Not sure how reliable a source The Fourth Period is, but they are reporting the Bruins may be shopping defenseman Johnny Boychuk to clear some cap room.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/bos140702.html

According to the article, Minnesota, Colorado, and Calgary are all expressing interest.

I'd love to have this guy on the Wild.

Hard hitting, defensively responsible, minutes-eating, shut down type guy.

Minnesota lost that type of player they had (Clayton Stoner) to FA and the Anaheim Ducks, so I think Boychuk, who is just 30 yrs old, can take over that role on the Wild very easily.

A couple caveats to a possible trade there though:

The Wild had a chance to re-sign Stoner, who went to Anaheim for $3.2M per....Boychuk's salary is $3.36 M per, only one year left, and he will of course, want a raise for his next contract.

If the Wild didn't pay Stoner his 3.2.....would they be willing to pay the $4-5M it would probably take to retain Boychuk after his one year expires?

Also, what would the Bruins want for him?

Wild have a nice collection of young talent, but they certainly don't want to break up much of that group just to get a guy who may, or may not, stay with the team past this coming season.

Flames, Avs....their interest and willingness to give Boston more may land them Boychuk before the Wild as well....especially Calgary, who not only have the most cap space, but are the team most likely to give Boychuk the biggest contract to stay, as Boychuk fits to a "T" the type of player Calgary has always employed when they are at their best.

Thoughts and opinions on Johnny B?

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I like Johnny's style. He plays a pretty up brand of hockey. Sees the ice well. Last year he was a very nice +31. His last full season, 11-12, he was also an impressive +27. He plays a very nice all round game, chips in moderately on offense and makes a nice break out pass when exiting his own zone. Stoner plays a nice physical brand of hockey, but is kinda limited in the offensive side of the game.

If I had to choose between Stoner at 3.2 and Johnny at 3.6, I take Johnny every day and Sunday.

Only teams with serious depth on defense would have Johnny on the last pairing. If your scoring over 20 pts per year and are smart, under 4 mill is a virtual steal in today's market place

Johnny turned 30 in January, but was a classic late bloomer. He didn't play in his first full season until 2009....so, despite his age, he has only played 3 seasons. He won't peak offensively until 2016 or so....the 23 pts he put in last year could easily move up to 35ish if he is placed in the right position. A lot of untapped potential there, which sounds odd when talking about someone over 30+ years, but in this case, it seems accurate.

• 1 month later...

Giving this thread a bit of a 

11910d1282145753-bumps-animated-icons-hi

Just a minor update here.

From the Boston Globe

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/09/10/johnny-boychuk-wants-stay-with-bruins/Kbp1QltI4b9ImhYwkuNyaI/story.html

Johnny Boychuk has made it clear he would like to stay with the Bruins, however, Boston's GM's silence seems to be speaking a language which says, Boychuk may be traded, not because he isn't wanted, but because the salary cap would not allow him to stay.

Boston made a few signings well before thinking about any extensions for Boychuck (David Krejci was one), so it is clear the Bruins are focusing on the offensive part of their team, and while Boychuk remains a still young, reliable veteran defender, it appears the Bruins are content to rely on their system producing more of that type of player rather than try to work on an extension (which would probably be heft given the amount some other defensemen in the league got this summer), and just move on.

Though Boychuk has expressed an interest in staying with the Bruins, I am not so sure he is willing to take a 'hometown' discount to stay there.
Comforts of Boston aside, I am sure there would be many teams interested in his services should he really be made available.

And let's not forget, that would be for the one year....then whomever gets him has to see if they can pay him enough to stay with them.
Being moved out of Boston at that point, free agency and the kind of contract that could bring Boychuk, would look VERY tempting for him.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

The Bruins are a in bit of a pickle. Look at their Wingers...

Loui Eriksson- Milan Lucic- Brad Marchand- Soderberg- Reilly Smith- A bunch of nothing.

It is so bad that they have invited Ville Leino and Simon Gagne. Eriksson has proven very, very fragile, Soderberg is fine but soft, Reilly Smith played miles above anyones expectations and he is still not signed.

And they have no cap room.

They have just a ridiculous wealth on the blueline, enough to make about anyone jealous. Boychuk can be dealt for a young player to a team in need of his talents. A right handed shot and a hell of a smart player.

I see the Wings as the perfect match.

For two months now, I have heard Boychuk to the Wings for Tomas Jurco, a solid prospect who can play either wing and finish. He would be a great top nine for the Bruins with a chance for a top sox role.

The problem is, both clubs are in the same division so they are hoping to make a deal with another team first and with each other secondly. But the season is closing in, this is a great deal for both clubs, the Bruins have depth at defense, the Wings have a plethora of forwards. Lets get it done.

Amazing, eh @yave1964 at how teams are soooo afraid to make a deal within the division, they just as soon make a lesser deal outside of it.

If what you are saying is right, and the Red Wings and Bruins make good trade partners on any Boychuk deal, then it SHOULD be done.

I fully understand why teams try to trade outside of their division, but honestly, if you have too much of something and need something else, and still feel your team is solid elsewhere, why does it matter if the deal you make is within the division or not?

I see this all the time in baseball, and I shake my head every time.

If a guy is going to be a free agent shortly (as Boychuk is), he may end up in your division...WITH A RIVAL...anyways.

So why not make a good deal now, even if its with a division rival?

Mind boggling sometimes, the way too conservative thinking of many GM's in the league.

• 4 weeks later...

And there we go......after much delay, Boychuk does indeed get shipped.

To the New York Islanders for a pair of draft picks.

Islanders have a chance to be a bother to the rest of the Metro with this trade (and the one where they got Leddy as well).

Bruins though, COULD have the last word if Boychuk doesn't re-sign with NY after his contract ends, and they still have the draft picks in an expected very good 2015 draft class.

@TropicalFruitGirl26  I think a lot will have to do with how Johnny meshes with the team, but I do believe the Isles will have one of the better teams in the East AND just as importantly, they have the cap space to make a longer stay happen. This is the first of many years having Johnny in an Isles uniform.

And there we go......after much delay, Boychuk does indeed get shipped.

To the New York Islanders for a pair of draft picks.

Islanders have a chance to be a bother to the rest of the Metro with this trade (and the one where they got Leddy as well).

Bruins though, COULD have the last word if Boychuk doesn't re-sign with NY after his contract ends, and they still have the draft picks in an expected very good 2015 draft class.

Draft classes sometimes are overrated outside the top 10 picks. Development and training usually matter more to later draft picks.

Looking back, Crosby's draft year outside of him was not overly hyped as deep and was expected to be top heavy, yet Kopitar, Staal, Niskanen, Vlasic, Stastny, Raymond, Letang, Quick, etc and more went on to be big pieces.

Then other draft years labelled as deep ended up with not as many NHL caliber players.

Going to miss his strength and  open ice hits at the blueline. Hes not a headhunter like Subban who tries  his weird..... slamming his back into players....often missing and out of  position.

When JB hit someone it was for good reason and well timed. 

Archived