Nate Prosser claimed off Waivers

hf101

The Wild get their D-man back again as he was claimed off waivers today as the Blues attempted to send him down.  Prosser had signed a 1 year deal with St. Louis for $700. 

I think this means that both Dumba or Folin will not make the Wild roster, as the team was not going to place either one of them as the 7th -dman.  Prosser would have to clear waivers again if the Wild choose to send him down.

Thank you, thank you, THANK you Minnesota!

Only one thing though: Why the &^%$ didn't they keep him in the first place!!??

Prosser should earn his keep at the NHL level.

We've got jokers like Keith Ballard on the blue line, he may be injury prone and/or just play badly,  and both Jared Spurgeon and Marco Scandella (guys I DO like) are also prone to a bit of injury....so that means the Wild may find ice time for Prosser AND a guy like Matt Dumba and/or Folin!

Any explanations, @hf101 as to WHY the Wild let him sign elsewhere, only to claim him back!?

Makes no damned sense to me...

Any explanations, @hf101 as to WHY the Wild let him sign elsewhere, only to claim him back!?

Makes no damned sense to me...

The only thing I can think of is that Prosser initially asked for approx 700,000-800,000 ish....the Wild didn't think he was worth that.....BUT, the Wild got a chance to survey the economic landscape and decided he was worth the money in relation to what other similar players were getting.

it looks like the Wild looked around for a seventh d-man and shrugged and said, 'well better the devil you know..'

'

Prosser is the perfect 5th-7th defenseman to have.

The guy doesn't do anything overly stupid, in fact, he very often makes the simple, quick, if unspectacular plays out of his zone, is pretty good at not letting players set up in front of his goaltender, agitates and draws penalties, and is just big enough so that if he catches a forward coming in unawares, he can really knock them on their arses.

Add to that, the fact that if he DOES need to be scratched, you will never hear him complain, always good things to say about his coach and teammates, and he goes about each and every team practice as if he is going to be in it. Just good overall attitude to go along with his decent defensive play.

I wouldn't give Prosser ice time over guys like Suter or Brodin, obviously, but believe me, I'd rather see him play regularly instead of that omelette Keith Ballard.

Honestly, only reason I think Ballard gets his ice time is because Minnesota is paying more for him, he is a vet, and he was a "winner" with Vancouver.

But his turnovers, soft play sometimes, and downright stupid defensive plays/clearing attempts simply undermine anything good the guy does.

But like I said, Prosser is a 'good soldier'....he will keep preparing, bide his time, there are at least three Minnesota D-men who are candidates for needing time on IR, he will get his time, and just like last season, will make the most of it, while keeping liability to a minimum.

Archived