Wings steal one from the Pens

yave1964

Okay, two nights ago the Wings lost a point on a late goal by Galchenyuk and the Habs, then Desharnais scored in OT as Montreal won 2-1 in OT. I cursed the Hockey Gods.

Well.

This game was all Pittsburgh for about 57 minutes. I was seconds from turning it off and going upstairs for the night.

Comeau was all over the ice hitting and shooting and passing, making a pest out of himself. Great game.

Darren Helm had two perfect opportunities on a breakaway once and on an open net on the other and missed both. He looked really bad tonight.

Dupuis is so damn opportunistic. Just sneaky. Not the player he once was but he goes all out when he sees an opening.

I was unimpressed with the Penguins defense. They seemed vanilla, generic, Maatta scored kind of a fluky goal on a shot that bounced three times off Howard before going in, other than that he, Letang and Erhoff were non factors in the offensive zone. The kid Megna, however, had six hitsin only twelve minutes of ice time, I liked his game. Other than him, the rest of the D seemed to hang back and let the forwards do the work.

Zetterberg is a God. He now has either the goal or assist in nine of the Wings last ten points. Read that again.

Kronwall was on, two goals and an assist. Dekeyser had as pretty of a hard pass to Z on his goal that got us back in the game. Smith and Quincey were hitting and playing hard. Ericsson had a staredown with Downie which led to matching roughing penalties, other than that he was non existent.

Justin Abdelkader was the best Wing on the ice tonight not named Zetterberg. He hit everything, had a shot ricochet off the cross bar and drill him in the head and returned, he pressed the Pens defense and forced them to pass, and of course had the winner in OT. I never thought he would develop, he has turned into one hell of a hockey player.

WE HAVE NO SECONDARY SCORING. Okay, not true, our defense is pitching in, lol but our bottom two lines are wretched. Nestrasil does not belong in the NHL, Tatar and Jurco are pressing, Sheahan seems forgotten, Glendenning has no offense, Miler, Helm, nothing. This cannot continue. It is nice to say that Zetterberg has a million points and all, but we need some of these other guys to step up. Weiss is forgotten, making 27 million to watch hockey in the pressbox, we need him to get in there and shoulder a bit of the load.

One boring game for the first 57 minutes and then it was one of the best games of the year.

Okay, two nights ago the Wings lost a point on a late goal by Galchenyuk and the Habs, then Desharnais scored in OT as Montreal won 2-1 in OT. I cursed the Hockey Gods.

Well.

This game was all Pittsburgh for about 57 minutes. I was seconds from turning it off and going upstairs for the night.

Comeau was all over the ice hitting and shooting and passing, making a pest out of himself. Great game.

Darren Helm had two perfect opportunities on a breakaway once and on an open net on the other and missed both. He looked really bad tonight.

Dupuis is so damn opportunistic. Just sneaky. Not the player he once was but he goes all out when he sees an opening.

I was unimpressed with the Penguins defense. They seemed vanilla, generic, Maatta scored kind of a fluky goal on a shot that bounced three times off Howard before going in, other than that he, Letang and Erhoff were non factors in the offensive zone. The kid Megna, however, had six hitsin only twelve minutes of ice time, I liked his game. Other than him, the rest of the D seemed to hang back and let the forwards do the work.

Zetterberg is a God. He now has either the goal or assist in nine of the Wings last ten points. Read that again.

Kronwall was on, two goals and an assist. Dekeyser had as pretty of a hard pass to Z on his goal that got us back in the game. Smith and Quincey were hitting and playing hard. Ericsson had a staredown with Downie which led to matching roughing penalties, other than that he was non existent.

Justin Abdelkader was the best Wing on the ice tonight not named Zetterberg. He hit everything, had a shot ricochet off the cross bar and drill him in the head and returned, he pressed the Pens defense and forced them to pass, and of course had the winner in OT. I never thought he would develop, he has turned into one hell of a hockey player.

WE HAVE NO SECONDARY SCORING. Okay, not true, our defense is pitching in, lol but our bottom two lines are wretched. Nestrasil does not belong in the NHL, Tatar and Jurco are pressing, Sheahan seems forgotten, Glendenning has no offense, Miler, Helm, nothing. This cannot continue. It is nice to say that Zetterberg has a million points and all, but we need some of these other guys to step up. Weiss is forgotten, making 27 million to watch hockey in the pressbox, we need him to get in there and shoulder a bit of the load.

One boring game for the first 57 minutes and then it was one of the best games of the year.

Congrats bud...  I'm still shaking my head but we'll see you again!

I wasn't able watch this game, but yes I am pleased with the results.  However, this smacks of last season when the Wings went half their games into overtime and lost most of them.  Fortunately, they see to be winning them, but it trick is to not get there in the first place.

I can't speak for how they played last night of course, but the kids, especially Tatar seem to be trying too hard.  I've seen plenty of times, particularly in the game against the Habs, where Tatar passed up an opportunity to get the puck on net but instead decided to stickhandle a bit more.  

These guys need to settle down a bit and not try to get cute, or else they indeed WILL suffer the sophomore slump.  I'd like to see Weiss back in the lineup.  After the non-season he had last year, I can't understand why they've hung onto Nestsrasil.  Especially now that he's not really producing.  He still looks very green, and needs to work it out a little in Grand Rapids.  Meanwhile, as @yave1964 pointed out, Weiss is making $27 million to watch.  They booked him for five years for a reason.  Let's get him out there. The man is itching to prove himself

@WingNut722

The thing that impresses and surprises me is the Wings thru 7 games have only one regulation loss and that is the Getzlaf trip on Kronwall with 25 seconds game, where he tripped Kronner, stole the puck and scored making it 3-2. That shoulda went to OT at the least. If so we would be undefeated in regulation. They are playing everyone tough.

@WingNut722

The thing that impresses and surprises me is the Wings thru 7 games have only one regulation loss and that is the Getzlaf trip on Kronwall with 25 seconds game, where he tripped Kronner, stole the puck and scored making it 3-2. That shoulda went to OT at the least. If so we would be undefeated in regulation. They are playing everyone tough.

You got justice last night...  there was a bit of a cry for a penalty on taking Dupuis down at your blue line on the play that resulted in your tying goal...  I don't consider it a serious factor as the puck pinballed anyway and that stuff happens, but maybe the hockey gods were making it up to you with the non-call?   LOL 

@Polaris922

There are plenty of other calls/non-calls that need to be corrected by the hockey gods, if that's the case.  I.e. Datsyuk's no-goal in Montreal.

However, when you get down to it, these questionable calls in one-goal games wouldn't be so dramatic if the score wasn't so close.  The case could be made that, if one team played better offensively, they'd score more goals, and thus have a wider lead.  Likewise for the defense.  You can't hang games on one call because invariably, arguments can be made in the other direction as well.  

We can get angry about Getzlaf's trip on Kronner, but the Wings had let in two goals already.  If they hadn't, and Getzlaf still got away with it, the Wings would have won in regulation 2-1.

@Polaris922

There are plenty of other calls/non-calls that need to be corrected by the hockey gods, if that's the case.  I.e. Datsyuk's no-goal in Montreal.

However, when you get down to it, these questionable calls in one-goal games wouldn't be so dramatic if the score wasn't so close.  The case could be made that, if one team played better offensively, they'd score more goals, and thus have a wider lead.  Likewise for the defense.  You can't hang games on one call because invariably, arguments can be made in the other direction as well.  

We can get angry about Getzlaf's trip on Kronner, but the Wings had let in two goals already.  If they hadn't, and Getzlaf still got away with it, the Wings would have won in regulation 2-1.

Like I said I had no problem with it...  it happens.  Just can't go looking at a loss as being any one call.  If I did that I'd still be blaming a playoff series on Briere's offside goal  ;)  

Well the Flyers stole one from the Wings last night too. I missed most of it last night but rewatch it this morning. And well you guys are a great possession team and should have won that i think. Flyers had no business winning that Emery stole that one and was damn good. Hey i'll take two points in a game you should have got zero. That shoe will be on the other foot i imagine laster in the season getting no points in a game they should win. 

@OccamsRazor

I watched the game with the wife, I kept telling her that as much as we were outplaying the Flyers that we better add some insurance the way that Emery was playing or the Flyers would end up pushing back and winning. Sadly, I was right.

I REALLY liked Raffl. The kid played great, non stop motor, I have zero idea how he had no power play time. 4 goals in 8 games, no power play time. Gotta give that kid a chance.

I REALLY liked Raffl. The kid played great, non stop motor, I have zero idea how he had no power play time. 4 goals in 8 games, no power play time. Gotta give that kid a chance.

I agree he was a hell of a find in the SHL.....signed for only 1.1mill for the next two years and can play damn near anywhere in the lineup. Not sure why Berube won't give him PP time....but i'll admit there is a lot i question on what/why Berube does.

@OccamsRazor

I watched the game with the wife, I kept telling her that as much as we were outplaying the Flyers that we better add some insurance the way that Emery was playing or the Flyers would end up pushing back and winning. Sadly, I was right.

Why give him a chance when our PP is so AWESOME already?!

:blink[1]:

Archived