Is This Shot Blocking Tactic Really Worth It?

King Knut

@King Knut

Where did he take it? Ankle? Foot?

As to the question, winning today is not possible without stellar shot blocking, which practically speaking means every single player is doing it consistently. Getting in lanes.

The Jets recent streak (5-0-1 I think) is simply not possible without it. for example. It is the difference between winning and losing some of those games.

I love that it is a bigger and bigger part of the game. It's something I always took pride in as a player. Coming back to the bench after doing it, especially when you prevented a sure or likely goal, is just as good as scoring. The guys are pumped.

Further...

Quote from Scheifele: "Everyone knows that every guy in this room is committed to defence and will do whatever it takes to keep a puck out of the net, block a shot, and I think that's the biggest thing."

blocking shots is part of the game and it should be done... Raffl does not have the best technique in the world for shot blocking and even was mentioned as so on the telcast last night.    shot blocking is an art and these littel things go a long way to helping a team win.

i hope it is not his foot... speaking from experience it can take a long while to heal.   shattered my right foot and toes taking a slapshot in a game once.   two surgeries later it is 80% and this was years ago.

Every single player NEEDS to wear the skate protectors. I don't get it. What is it with hockey players wanting to wear less protection???? Those skate protectors weigh next to nothing and they don't impede your movement. You barely feel shots when they hit your feet.

Good shot blocking is essential to winning.

If you are a shrinking violet in shot blocking lanes, then players will take more shots when you are on the ice in a lane knowing you don't man up. and if you don't man up and block them directly(Instead pussyfoot blocking and trying to stick it), you often end up with an indirect block which often leads to deflections and puck direction changes the goalie cannot predict.

So if you play a passive small box PK, you clog that lane, extend your stick into passing lanes and block shots. if you play a wider box and attack the puck carriers more frequently and hastily, you block less shots and pressure the puck carrier forcing the action, but also open holes crafty playmakers can exploit. S yeah, against Florida and buffalo, be aggressive and pressure the puck carrier. But if you are playing a team with creative offensive forwards, clog those lanes and force perimeter play, pressuring when able, or when a guy fumbles control

Archived