Buffalo fans and media well aware of what is at stake/booing win vs Det

Buffalo Rick

After the Sabres beat the Red Wings boos rang down from many faithful fans.  A local sports writer has an article about this and though he does not condone it, he understands how much sense it makes.  Having the worst record is far better than the second worst.  You are guaranteed the second pick even if you lose the draw.  The 3rd pick according to him is a defenseman touted to possibly be the best in a decade to come out in the draft.  Noah Hanifin is his name.  So even the third pick will likely yield a possible starter in the lineup right away.  Certainly the defenseman would help but we need one of the top two guys more.  Maybe the Capitals let a good goalie slip away in Neuvirth?  So far.  So good.  So I am not sure if we draft a goalie high?  At this point perhaps we have Edmonton to worry about more than any other team to finish behind us?  But I just do not see it.  I think the Sabres are a slam dunk to finish dead last.  And I just wonder deep down inside if Ted Nolan is on board?  I know he wants to keep his job.  But he is not stupid.   He knows he does not have the horses that were once there.   The next set can be far better if they play their cards right.  The first step is to have the worst record and I doubt that will take much effort

@Hockey Junkie

You can't expect your players or coaches to try to lose.

I wish the Flyers could draft McDavid...I honestly think it would move them closer to a cup than all the FA signings they've made put together. But I honestly don't think they're going to.

Buffalo on the other hand is certainly a contender. I have no doubt they draft top 3 at worst. I'm not so sure on Hanifan being the best in a decade (Doughty) or even most highly touted (Jones?) but he'd certainly give you guys by far the best group of young defencemen in the entire league. You guys are already sitting pretty well with D prospects, so McDavid would definately be the guy you'd want, with Eichel being a nice backup plan.

And I just wonder deep down inside if Ted Nolan is on board

I dunno.

But, no matter how Sabres do for a year or two, Nolan's job should be secure.   That means, he has a freedom to help in the rebuilding of a team. 

Interesting.

I dunno.

But, no matter how Sabres do for a year or two, Nolan's job should be secure.   That means, he has a freedom to help in the rebuilding of a team. 

Interesting.

You cannot expect him to perform miracles when he does not have the weapons.  What are you trying to imply here?  He has proven himself like when he was coach of the year and then was not given a contract by the old ownership

After the Sabres beat the Red Wings boos rang down from many faithful fans. A local sports writer has an article about this and though he does not condone it, he understands how much sense it makes. Having the worst record is far better than the second worst.

I just can't get behind this logic. I understand it, but I think its completely unfair to the players to say "tank", when their whole life they have been engrained with "don't give up, never stop trying". We (flyers fans), snicker a bit about Pitts having Crosby / Malkin, but I don't believe they tanked. I could not be able to support a team that employs that approach to get a player- regardless of generational or not.

First time I can recall cheering for the Sabres in each and every non Flyer game....NO McDAVID FOR YOU!!!!

Just because you hope so does not mean it will happen.  We will finish last, and we will get either McDavid or Eichel. And we will cash in 3 number ones and reach the finals before your Flyers do

Archived