Falling Leafs

yave1964

Wow.

A couple of nights ago, the Leafs fell behind the Sabres and coasted, I watched a good chunk of the game, not sure if there was something wrong with my eyes. The Sabres got a power play goal in the first and then later in the period a shorty from Girgensons making it 2-0 in the first and essentially ending the game. Seriously, the Sabres coasted from there the Leafs looked like they had a plane to catch and gave up.

I figured that the next game, Carlyle would have the leafs fired up and out for blood after the embarrassment against the bad Buffalo squad. Home with the Predators coming in, I thought we would see a different Leaf team.

What we saw, my God, it was ugly.

3-0 in the first with something named Taylor Beck looking like a superstar. Bernier was chased out after the first. It was 4-0 at the end of 2 but then Reimer gave up 4 more goals in the first 5 minutes of the third making it 8-0. A couple of meaningless goals by the leafs followed by a final goal by the Preds Colin Wilson made the final 9-2.

At home. Bad enough losing to the Sabres in Buffalo, you can make an excuse there, Reimer in net, the Sabres were due, whatever, but Oh My God how do you justify a 9-2 thrashing on home ice to Nashville?

Captain Phaneuf called the loss 'embarrassing and unacceptable.' No kidding there pal. Randy Carlyle called it an 'awful performance.' Again, no kidding.

I am not really a huge fan of the stat geeks, but they have been ripping the Leafs for several years, calling them the worst 5 on 5 team in hockey and they are looking wretched this year as well in that regard.

They are still 10th in the East in points, somehow they are somewhat in contention. But wow is this club in trouble. The Carlyle countdown is on. And who follows him out the door, well, stay tuned.

It's hard to believe a franchise this storied with the most faithful fans in hockey can suck for over a decade and still ice a team this lame. Their fans deserve way better.

For a decade? I know they had a nice little run during the Gilmour years but mostly, since the end of the Lanny, Tiger, Borje and Sittler era it has been dreadful.

Poor drafts, bad trades, horrid signings, wrong coaches at the wrong time. Just plain awful for 30 years.

I must admit, had to google it, but nice touch....Fallen Leaves by Billy Talent.....ha ha!

Haha. Great song, great band. IMO, the best Canadian band to see live. 

Going to see The Tea Party tonight - I liked their very early stuff.

For a decade? I know they had a nice little run during the Gilmour years but mostly, since the end of the Lanny, Tiger, Borje and Sittler era it has been dreadful.

Poor drafts, bad trades, horrid signings, wrong coaches at the wrong time. Just plain awful for 30 years.

Actually, the Sundin era in the early 2000s had some damn good teams. Old, but damn good.

The furthest they got was ECF, but they were fun to watch and put up some very good regular season numbers.

But yeah, a decade of failure really, really sucks. And now some fans are calling for another rebuild, so where Burke said it would take less than 5 after JFJ floundered for a few years, we made end up finishing a rebuild another 5 years from now. Fun times.

They bounced back against Tampa pretty well, though. This team is the definition of inconsistent.

@Commander Clueless

That is what worries me about my Wings coming into town tomorrow night, the Leafs have been forced to man up and look in the mirror and are embarrassed, essentially like an old bear caught in a trap, you DONT wanna mess with them. Let sleeping dogs lie. The Wings won the first two meetings, this one worries me.

Saw The Tea Party back up Big Audio Dynamite back in the day. They were pretty good...other than the whole Jim morrison thing the lead singer had going on. 

Going to see The Fred Eaglesmith Travelling Steam Show tonight...if you haven't seen Fred, you gotta.

I saw the Tea Party in a Toronto Warehouse typea thing, they were backing up Blind Melon. Most of the band members are from Windsor, they are pretty big down here.

Archived