Does anyone care at all about the All Star game?

yave1964

Since we're all pretty much in agreement that the all-star game is just a schmooze-fest for media and entertainment mainly for 5-year olds (that think the players are trying), what would you do to fix it (if it were to be a serious game)?

Actually, let's start with that! Should the NHL all-star game be a serious game or just what it is now? Currently, it's an excuse for kids to see all their favourite players skating around in the same game. It is purely for entertainment, much like the WWE. All aspect of sport has been removed.

I'd like to see it be a serious game. (Or at least be an exhibition game that players take somewhat seriously.) The question then, is how do we achieve that?

My suggestions are:

1. Do what MLB does: The winner of the all-star game gets home ice advantage in the Stanley Cup final.
  2. Reduce fan voting to one player per team. (Everyone else gets in on merit.)
  3. Eliminate the restriction that every team must be represented. ie: If one team sends 5 players, that's fine by me.
  4. Fine and suspend any player that is selected to the all-star game that decides to skip the game.
  5. Offer a monetary reward to the winner of the all-star game, distributed among the players and coaches.
  6. Offer an additional monetary reward for being one of the three stars selected at the end of the game.

:)

What a joke.  The fan vote has to go.

Buffalo Sabres forward Zemgus Girgensons will join Blackhawks forwards Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, defensemen Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook, and goaltender Corey Crawford at NHL All-Star Weekend, Jan. 24-25 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus.

Archived