Schenn's goal vs. Caps... should it have counted

TedZep

I was watching the game in a bar with no sound and no access to the DVR, but it looked like the goalie didn't freeze the puck, didn't even know that it was sitting there between his legs.   Was this just a case of the referee losing sight of the puck, and the old inadvertent whistle?

And on the Caps second goal, the puck trajectory is up, and then deflects down to enter the goal.  The frame where the puck contacts the stick seemed to be missing, but all logic suggests it was played with a high stick.

Voracek's OT goal makes this somewhat moot, aside from the point the Caps get, but the Caps' fan that now owes me lunch was whining about how "lucky the Flyers were," and it seemed exactly the opposite to me.

I was watching the game in a bar with no sound and no access to the DVR, but it looked like the goalie didn't freeze the puck, didn't even know that it was sitting there between his legs.   Was this just a case of the referee losing sight of the puck, and the old inadvertent whistle?

And on the Caps second goal, the puck trajectory is up, and then deflects down to enter the goal.  The frame where the puck contacts the stick seemed to be missing, but all logic suggests it was played with a high stick.

Voracek's OT goal makes this somewhat moot, aside from the point the Caps get, but the Caps' fan that now owes me lunch was whining about how "lucky the Flyers were," and it seemed exactly the opposite to me.

We were discussing the Caps' second goal in the chat room.  Personally, even from the replays I had a difficult time telling.  The Flyers broadcasters were saying the puck actually went up after being struck, but again, I had a hard time telling and wouldn't want to argue it either way.  A couple of us concluded in the chat room that probably whichever way it was called on the ice would have stood.  Sadly, the call on the ice was goal.  It was a bummer, but I was kind of okay with it since I really couldn't tell.   Glad it ultimately didn't end up mattering; although, if we really do think the Flyers have a chance at the playoffs--and pretending that's what we want--it did end up getting Washington (one of the teams we're chasing) an extra point to make up later.

I can't speak to the Schenn thing because I didn't see it.  I may have still been watching Big Bang Theory.  :)

Schenn's no-goal was ruled no goal because he pushed the goalie's pad (taking the puck with it) across the goal line. Which apparently you're not allowed to do.

I think you just summed it up perfectly.   It looked like Holtby was more of less pushed into the goal.  Although it could have gone either way I think they made the right call.  Both goals were pretty tough calls IMO and could have went either way...

The plus?  They found a way to pull out the win.

Schenn's no-goal was ruled no goal because he pushed the goalie's pad (taking the puck with it) across the goal line. Which apparently you're not allowed to do.

And yet I'm pretty sure that counted against Mason earlier in the season...sigh.

At least we're seeing progress!

@ruxpin

1) DVR

2) why don't they put Bernadette on more?

1) I don't typically like watching a game when I know the final score.  It's really weird, but I know exactly when an individual goal is going to happen even if all I know is the final.  I just don't enjoy it taped.  The only time it's unfortunate that I don't is when I miss a line brawl or something like that.  But usually that's what youtube is for.   DVR Big Bang?  Nah, it's more interesting than the game at this point.

2) Bernadette is fricken hot.  I could take more of her on screen.  I really liked Penny but I don't like the Felicity thing she did with her hair.  It makes her face look cartoonish.

I liked Penny, but Bernadette was always sneaky hotter. Now with that weird ass elven pixie haircut crap and clown makeup, penny is starting to be an eyesore (neck, up).

Yeah, agree with all of that. Plus, I've always liked them an itsy bitsy bitchy

Short answer? No.

Long answer? Seen the same thing happen and it counted.

In theory no, but in practice it usually counts.

I was watching the game in a bar with no sound and no access to the DVR, but it looked like the goalie didn't freeze the puck, didn't even know that it was sitting there between his legs. Was this just a case of the referee losing sight of the puck, and the old inadvertent whistle?

And on the Caps second goal, the puck trajectory is up, and then deflects down to enter the goal. The frame where the puck contacts the stick seemed to be missing, but all logic suggests it was played with a high stick.

Archived