Emelin Ejected for Boarding

hf101

4 members have voted

1. 1. Will Alexei Emelin be Suspended

• Yes, up to 2 games
    • Yes, more than 2 games repeat offender
    • Nope, The game Misconduct was enough

Emelin-490x277.jpg

Alexi Emelin received a Boarding Major and a game misconduct for his hit (push) against Jason Spezza during the second period.  Spezza received a cut on the nose but returned to play the remainder of the game.  

I wouldn't think this would gain that much attention except Emelin was fined in November for a check to the head of Sabres' Gionta.

Here is the video:

http://youtu.be/xR6_S5APkmY

Should Emelin be suspended from the league?

Spezza hurt himself trying to draw a call (which he did). Emelin barely touches him and Spezza pivots himself into the wall. If he just continues skating there is not even a hit registered on this play. I am all for taking the cheap shots out of the game but this should not go in the file against Emelin.

I dunno. I see both sides of this thing, but primarily I see a good rule that needs to be enforced, but perhaps not with both blazing barrels.

Although it is very possible that Spezza was trying to use the boards to protect himself, it doesn't change the fact that Emelin hit him when he was vulnerable. And really, do we really think guys are willing to eat the rail with their face for a penalty?

I would agree that Emelin didn't hit him that hard, but he didn't really have to to do damage when Spezza is in the position he was in. While I think this fact will prevent him from receiving the motherlode suspension, I think a short suspension (1-2 games) will be coming.

Looking at the play again, Spezza was dealing with a bouncing puck. If it was gliding nicely along the boards or ice, I'd give more legs to the argument that he was begging to be hit. I think he was more trying to play a bouncing puck, doubled back and Emelin hit him and face met wall. I really have a hard time thinking guys will eat the boards with their faces like this just to get a penalty. Maybe against the glass, but not the rail. They are risking their careers, and that's just stupid...not that I'm saying there's not a lot of stupid hockey players out there, I suppose. But it's still harder for me to swallow. If I'm gonna fake it, I'm gonna do it against the nice, flexible glass, not the hard wooden, more-inflexible rail.

While I don't like the fact that the boarding rule does bring into play the possibility for abuse by players, I still think it is a good rule overall, and it needs to be enforced. You can't hit a guy when he's in that kind of position, or we are gonna end up carting players off with a fractured C-spine and a quadriplegic. To combat the possibility of abuse, I think the league should be looking at players who could be abusing this rule similarly to how they look at diving and mete out judgment to guilty offenders in order to protect the integrity of the game. This rule can be abused both ways. Both kinds of abuse hurt the game. The usual one can end players' careers too, so if anything err on the side of protecting the players, but not with blinders on. If that was/is happening, then Emelin could have it appealed to the league that way. If Spezza ever does something like this again--especially if it's a bit more obvious--it should be taken into consideration by the league repeat-offender-style and a talking-to should occur if not sanctions.

If the league is going to have this rule, it should be honest about the fact that there IS the possibility for its abuse, and that such abuse will not be tolerated either to protect the integrity of the game. Fortunately, I think most hits like this are not from potential abuse but from legitimately dangerous hits.

JMHO

@flyercanuck

I agree it's pretty much a no-win situation for Emelin, and for that I do empathize with him. At the same time, a short suspension (especially given the fact that he is a repeat offender) is warranted.

I wasn't suggesting that you were saying Spezza was faking it. That was directed more towards @flyerrod, and that was assuming that he was making that case, which is possible he wasn't. Tell ya what though, J.R. was kind of making that case on the post-game show on NBCSN, not coming right out and saying it, but implying it and suggesting it maybe.

@flyercanuck

I agree it's pretty much a no-win situation for Emelin, and for that I do empathize with him. At the same time, a short suspension (especially given the fact that he is a repeat offender) is warranted.

I wasn't suggesting that you were saying Spezza was faking it. That was directed more towards @flyerrod, and that was assuming that he was making that case, which is possible he wasn't. Tell ya what though, J.R. was kind of making that case on the post-game show on NBCSN, not coming right out and saying it, but implying it and suggesting it maybe.

What I was implying was that Spezza literally made that a boarding call by the direction he turned. Emelin seemed to be basically riding Spezza off the puck until Spezza turned towards the boards stopping his forward momentum and causing Emelin to in fact board him. Absolutely not intentional by Emelin but still a proper penalty called. I don't however think it was a suspension worthy call. The game misconduct was ample punishment for that particular hit IMHO.

Well, apparently Spezza's sudden reversal in direction was sufficiently close enough to the boarding by Emelin to not warrant suspension. I'm OK with that despite the fact that I MIGHT have made a different call.

However, one of my peeves about the NHL's player safety protocols is that in addition to releasing videos which show why a player is suspended or otherwise supplementally disciplined, they should ALSO show vids for events like these which certainly could go either way and explain why they chose NOT to bring down supplemental discipline. It's important to see what is and is not seen as both acceptable and unacceptable. This would have been an excellent example, because it could have gone either way.

Spezza is a vet in this league. He knows that he shouldn't turn like he did there. Emelin is known for some cheap hits, but if Spezza doesn't turn, this is almost just a bump. Ref saw the blood and kicked Emelin out. Glad there's no suspension though. Although, missing Emelin for a couple games wouldn't be so bad. He's a defensive liability and is no longer an NHL caliber defenseman. But that's an argument for another day.

• 3 weeks later...

It wasn't Emelin's fault. Yes, he was on Spezza a lot, but he didn't actually cause the hit. As they were skating, Spezza almost stopped in the middle of his tracks, causing all of his speed and momentum to stop. This caused Emelin to carry forward and hit him. Simple. If anything, one game. 

Archived