Dead Zone:Hextall/Is he doing anything at all?

The Quigster

I think Hextall could probably find a GM that would take him if he really puts his mind to it. It probably won't be a very nice trade for us - but getting rid of him is nice enough in itself. That being said, I would be surprised if he's not here next year.

Sure, whatever works. We could debate the merit of this guy over that guy for days (and that's what this board is for, really), but at the end of the day, I'm trusting Hextall to do whatever he needs to do to achieve his long-term vision for the club.

I would trade him for anything. I agree on that.

I don't trust Hextall yet. He hasn't done anything to earn it yet. I don't distrust him, you can't judge a guy based on nothing, but I'm not all about him yet either. I salute him for not trading the youth, but I'm also not happy he hasn't done anything yet. The "standing pat" should only apply to the young core, not every players on the roster.

If they don't trade Streit, they better pray he holds up the rest of his contract. That deal is going to hurt as much as Briere or VLC if his production dips as much as theirs did. I would trade him, but if they keep him and his production is still ok, that's fine.

I don't trust Hextall yet. He hasn't done anything to earn it yet. I don't distrust him, you can't judge a guy based on nothing, but I'm not all about him yet either. I salute him for not trading the youth, but I'm also not happy he hasn't done anything yet

Sit on fences much? 

Sit on fences much? 

You ask the question as if I'm supposed to be embarrassed about not rushing to judgement. I'm not. I'll straddle whatever fence I want and change my mind on a dime before picking a side and refusing to change my mind regardless of what information is given to me. I don't view that as strength, I see it as stupidity.

I don't trust Hextall yet. He hasn't done anything to earn it yet. I don't distrust him, you can't judge a guy based on nothing, but I'm not all about him yet either. I salute him for not trading the youth, but I'm also not happy he hasn't done anything yet. The "standing pat" should only apply to the young core, not every players on the roster.

Well, he did deal away Hartnell for Umburglar and brought in MDZ, Schultz, Coliacovo and Bellemare. (I'm presuming Umburglar is either dealt or bought out)

Still two more weeks before the trade deadline. Lots of time.

But, yeah, I'm in the "wait and see what he does" boat about Hextall as well.

Well, he did deal away Hartnell for Umburglar and brought in MDZ, Schultz, Coliacovo and Bellemare. (I'm presuming Umburglar is either dealt or bought out)

I forgot about the Hartnell trade. If this team didn't desperately need cap room, trading for Umberger's corpse would have been a really bad move. But since we do, and haven't moved any other expensive players yet, that's 50 points for Gryffindor...I mean Hextall.

I like the MDZ and Bellemare signings and am ok with the Schultz one too. However, and I know there's still some time, if that's all they do I won't be singing his praises. If Timonen is healthy, I trade him for anything. I think Streit is a must trade. I don't know who said it or why it has a life of his own, but "his value will never be higher" has never been more true imo. I realize nobody really wants VLC or Umberger, but that's all the more reason you shed salary with the few players you can.

If Timonen is healthy, I trade him for anything. I think Streit is a must trade. I don't know who said it or why it has a life of his own, but "his value will never be higher" has never been more true imo. I realize nobody really wants VLC or Umberger, but that's all the more reason you shed salary with the few players you can.

Yeah, I can see all of that - but I'm not going to be surprised if it's not the fire sale that some hope for. You do need to have an interested partner to complete a trade.

To that end, I'd retain as much salary on either VLC or Umburglar as would be the equivalent of a buyout ,- but would hope not to be that high. And I still don't know that you're getting a taker for either of them.

I like Streit fine, but I do share your concerns about the next few years of the deal. I do think he has more potential value in trade than as a guy playing out the string on a rebuilding team.

Part of me would like to see Timonen end it as a Flyer, but if he can get a chance at a Cup I'd be happy for him. Nashville would be a great fit - I'm just not sure they will do that (or give much up for him).

he also did extend Rinaldo - for reasons unknown to me...

Yeah, I can see all of that - but I'm not going to be surprised if it's not the fire sale that some hope for. You do need to have an interested partner to complete a trade.

To that end, I'd retain as much salary on either VLC or Umburglar as would be the equivalent of a buyout ,- but would hope not to be that high. And I still don't know that you're getting a taker for either of them.

I like Streit fine, but I do share your concerns about the next few years of the deal. I do think he has more potential value in trade than as a guy playing out the string on a rebuilding team.

Part of me would like to see Timonen end it as a Flyer, but if he can get a chance at a Cup I'd be happy for him. Nashville would be a great fit - I'm just not sure they will do that (or give much up for him).

I was confident for a while, but now I'm with you on VLC. It seems like he's here until he retires. All the more important to trade Streit imo. If this was a playoff team or I had a really good feeling that the defensive prospects would make the team next year, maybe I keep him. But as much as I like him, and we all admit he's better than we all felt about him when first signed, he doesn't help this team and could arguable hurt him if his production goes; which it will, it's just a matter of how much.

I've been all over the map with TImonen. First of all, I don't think it's a good idea for him to come back at all. He seems dead set on it though. Given that, I thought he should just sit out the whole year and try next year for one last season. But then all this buzz about him implying this could be it and taking that into consideration, I don't begrudge him wanting to be traded (if he does). If he is healthy enough and ends up getting traded, I do hope it's Nashville. If it is, I know who I'm rooting for in the playoffs.

Archived