Dead Zone:Hextall/Is he doing anything at all?

The Quigster

Is anything happening here to improve the club? Bring up some Phantoms prospects.I'm sure they aren't all like Laughton,Straka looked pretty good,didn't get to play much.  Cooter should change his name to AWOL,but then again it could be the lingering effects of MONO.

I personally would love to see a patented Homer type trade just for the sake of a trade that Flyer fans crave but will hurt the team going forward  I don't care if it helps us or hurts us....just gotta have a trade. We should have sent all our good prospects and our 1st for Kane, I've heard his name before.

Is anything happening here to improve the club? Bring up some Phantoms prospects.

Before you do that, you've got to open up some roster spots. And to open up roster spots you need to move bodies (e.g. make trades, waive players). And to move bodies, you need to have attractive assets you are willing to move.

So here we are. We don't have many attractive assets that Hextall is willing to move. Oh sure, he'd move VLC, Umberger, and MacDud for free, I would guess. But not a single team would be stupid enough to take them. We *are* the stupid team that took them/signed them.

I think Hextall is doing exactly what he said he would.

Is anything happening here to improve the club? Bring up some Phantoms prospects.I'm sure they aren't all like Laughton,Straka looked pretty good,didn't get to play much.  Cooter should change his name to AWOL,but then again it could be the lingering effects of MONO.

Hextall's hands are tied with some incredibly bad contracts. The only way he can move those contracts is by adding a sweetener to the mix. I think the last thing he wants to do is give up prospects and picks just to move a bad contract out. Other teams know this as well. I think Hextall has been incredibly smart by playing his cards close to his chest and not making any sort of panic move. If Holmgren were still running the show, you can bet that there would have been a major trade already and that some of the team's key assets would have been moved that would have set the franchise back even further. At this point, everyone is just going to have to sit tight and be patient.

Which is what we were all preaching at the beginning of the season. I guess some peoples idea of patience is half a season.

Agreed. I'll admit that after watching some games this season, I wanted Hextall to blow things up drastically, but cooler heads prevailed. I get what Ron's doing and when he's got cap space and great depth available, then you'll see him make his strategic moves. This season was a wash with Kimmo being out for most of it, but I have to admit, I've got tempered excitement for next year, especially if Morin cracks the roster. He could be that shot in the arm the club can use. Not expecting him to be a number one defender to start the year, but I think by the time the 2015 - 2016 season finishes, he could surely end up being a top pairing guy.

@BobbyClarkeFan16

I honestly hope Morin starts the year on the Phantoms. If he looks ready part way through, sure, bring him up. Sanheim should be a gimme on TC next December. Ghost will be back soon, and hopefully can get back to where he was by the end of the season. Let his progress continue next year.

I agree with FC. Let Morin play a season in the AHL. Sanheim stays in Jrs. See if you can offload Grossmann, try like hell to trade MacDonald, barring that, trade Schenn. Re-sign MDZ. Sign a cheap UFA for your 7th. Give Manning, Alt, Hagg, and Ghost a shot to make the big club out of training camp. Defense looks something like this:

Streit-Coburn

MDZ-Manning/Ghost/Alt/Hagg

Alt/Ghost/Manning/Hagg-Schenn/MacDonald

UFA 7th

While some would say trade Coburn, Schenn, Grossmann, AND MacDonald, I'm loathe to offload every one of the veteran defensemen because you have to replace them from somewhere. Bringing up all four of Hagg, Alt, Manning, and Ghost is a recipe for disaster for their development, and  the UFA crop lacks for top-end talent, which will make the middling talent significantly more expensive. Of course, if you manage to get back an NHL defenseman somewhere in a trade, it makes things more flexible.

Hopefully trading some veterans (Streit being a decent bargaining chip, for example), but I have a hunch even that won't happen.

I was dreading reading this post but as one pointed out, cooler heads prevailed. I have been saying it also that patience is needed. And you can't get rid of ALL your veteran dmen. Every team needs a mix. Hextall has little maneuvering room but it will ease with time...

Before you do that, you've got to open up some roster spots. And to open up roster spots you need to move bodies (e.g. make trades, waive players). And to move bodies, you need to have attractive assets you are willing to move.

So here we are. We don't have many attractive assets that Hextall is willing to move. Oh sure, he'd move VLC, Umberger, and MacDud for free, I would guess. But not a single team would be stupid enough to take them. We *are* the stupid team that took them/signed them.

I think Hextall is doing exactly what he said he would.

If I am misquoting him, feel free to correct me, but I believe his statements were that they were going to be patient. Being patient doesn't mean you do nothing. I think we all know that line refers to the youth. I know VLC is untradeable. I'm not talking about him. I'm talking about the very few players we have that we can actually move. Streit has value to a playoff team. He has no value here. This team is not going to get better by just doing nothing and the notion that you either trade all your youth or notion are the only options (not you, but several people on this thread) are beyond disingenuous. Everyone on this team who can be moved, that isn't a part of the young core, should be.

If I am misquoting him, feel free to correct me, but I believe his statements were that they were going to be patient. Being patient doesn't mean you do nothing. I think we all know that line refers to the youth. I know VLC is untradeable. I'm not talking about him. I'm talking about the very few players we have that we can actually move. Streit has value to a playoff team. He has no value here. This team is not going to get better by just doing nothing and the notion that you either trade all your youth or notion are the only options (not you, but several people on this thread) are beyond disingenuous. Everyone on this team who can be moved, that isn't a part of the young core, should be.

I agree overall with a small caveat that I would like to see him keep certain vets in the name of stability and development. I know Hextall is not going to trade all vets away - I just mean that I would prefer to keep, say, Streit over Coburn if one has to be moved. Similarly I would keep Schultz over MacDud not only for contract reasons, but I like what he brings to the table much more than MacDonald. 

So, essentially, keeping the right vets. The ones that 'fit' in with the core. The ones that bring value on and off the ice, in the locker room, on road trips, etc.

You can put a pink ribbon on a pig but you still have a pig .

Didja ever hear the one about the kilt-wearing Scot drunk in the gutter and the two spinsters?

The punch line is "I dunno where you been, but you won first prize".

I agree overall with a small caveat that I would like to see him keep certain vets in the name of stability and development. I know Hextall is not going to trade all vets away - I just mean that I would prefer to keep, say, Streit over Coburn if one has to be moved. Similarly I would keep Schultz over MacDud not only for contract reasons, but I like what he brings to the table much more than MacDonald. 

So, essentially, keeping the right vets. The ones that 'fit' in with the core. The ones that bring value on and off the ice, in the locker room, on road trips, etc.

We are in agreement more than we are not and I certainly in agreement with you over some of the moronic posts in this thread.

The problem with keeping Schultz over MacDonald is nobody wants MacDonald. I wouldn't trade Streit or Coburn, I'd trade Streit and Coburn. If Kimmo proves he can play and the Nashville rumors have any merit at all, I'd ask if they want Coburn, since he plays his best hockey with Timonen.

The problem with keeping Schultz over MacDonald is nobody wants MacDonald.

I think Hextall could probably find a GM that would take him if he really puts his mind to it. It probably won't be a very nice trade for us - but getting rid of him is nice enough in itself. That being said, I would be surprised if he's not here next year.

I wouldn't trade Streit or Coburn, I'd trade Streit and Coburn. If Kimmo proves he can play and the Nashville rumors have any merit at all, I'd ask if they want Coburn, since he plays his best hockey with Timonen.

Sure, whatever works. We could debate the merit of this guy over that guy for days (and that's what this board is for, really), but at the end of the day, I'm trusting Hextall to do whatever he needs to do to achieve his long-term vision for the club.

Archived