New-Look Wings Down the Stretch

WingNut722

HOHM-Red-Wings-Predators-Tatar-Goal.jpg

After a smash-hit trade deadline day for the Red Wings, the Joe Louis staff now have to add two new nameplates over lockers by tomorrow.

Erik and Marek are on their way in.  What does this do to the lines down the stretch and into the playoffs?  I floated the forward lines in another thread, but I'm adding them again here.

Abdelakder-Datsyuk-Tatar

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Cole

Weiss-Sheahan-Pulkkinen

Miller-Glendening-Andersson

Helm returns after injury and Jurco in reserve

Kronwall-Zidlicky

Ericsson - DeKeyser

Quincey-Smith

Marchenko and Kindl in reserve.  I can see Marchenko battling Smith for ice time based on the way he's played.  Quincey has been pretty good too and expects to return Wednesday against New York.  I suggested pairing Zidlicky with Kronwall initially to ease his transition, also figuring that the two could anchor the first power play unit  Once his play is established within the context of the club, the pairings can be shifted as needed. 

How'd I do?  Anything you'd do differently if you're Mike Babcock?

@WingNut722

The only thing I'd say is that I'd do anything I could not to break up DDK-Q. Both of theses players--more Q than DDK, but still DDK too--have really made one another better. They pair very well.

Also, I'd rather see Zidlicky Paired with a more Stay-at-home guy, like E instead of Kronner. Kronner will play his game with just about whomever he's paired with, but I like him better with a stay-at-home guy too. This gives them a little more freedom to be offensively-minded.

We might have to break up DDK-Q though, and honestly--gulp--I actually might try Smith with Kronner. I know Q has been SO much better this year than years past, but I'm nervous about a Q-Smith pairing. Both have been playing better, and I think it is because of their pairings--that their partners made them better to a good degree. I'd want Smith paired with someone reliable. Might make Smith better.

I'd try:

Kronwall-Smith

Q-DDK

Erickson-Zidlicky

In almost no particular order, 1-3. I might actually put Q-DDK as my #1 D line. I like the E-Zid idea, although E has been playing on the R side with Kronner. Hmm.

@SpikeDDS

You're probably right.  Ericsson can help Zid transition about as well as anyone else.  Smith was the X-Factor now, and I kind of had trouble figuring where to pair him.  I didn't want to put Zid with DDK initially, just didn't think it would work out.  I know Q and DDK have been well together, I thought they were solid enough to put with anyone else.  While Smith still needs a little taming, he brings a bit of an agressive style to the blue line, so adding Quincey might help to augment that.  

And Kronner can instill that sense of calm that Smith needs to learn. More than any other D-man we have, he tends to panic. Having Kronner on his line should help him, I would think.

Just because Smith tends to play on the L and Ericsson on the R, you could switch those two, and let Smith learn from Zidlicky, but I'd prefer Kronner in that role at least at first until Marek adjusts to how we play. Then, shuffle as needed.

Thinking further about this, Zidlicky, coming from a defensive-mindeed team like the Devils, might be able to help Smith too.

Ultimately, you go with who pairs well together...chemistry. Q-DDK has it., so I don't want to screw with that. I think Kronner can adapt to just about anyone. Seeing who E and Smith pair well with will be the question, and Babs will answer that.

Looks like they are pairing Zids with Smith. Makes sense to me. I don't see him bumping E, Q, or DDK other than on the 2nd pp unit. I expect Cole to play up and down the line up but they are starting him with Z and Abby. I think that will be a hard line to play against.

@WingNut722@SpikeDDS

I think they are starting him with Smith but in the end he will wind up with Dekeyser. Our D-combos as I see them:

Kronwall Ericsson The two of the have a nice connection

Zidlicky Dekeyser Our best defensive d-man can protect Zidlicky and allow him to roam

Smith Quincey The two of them have a good chemistry.

Kindl in reserve, Marchenko in GR getting the needed experience but back with a vengeance next year,along with XO.

Forward lines, whew, what a nice problem. Helm steps in with Pulkinnen returning to GR unless injuries occur with Jurco as our 13th forward. Best bunch we have had in I don't know how long.

So Abby, Z and Cole huh? Wow! I cannot see anyone pushing that line around. And Pavel would feel like he died and went to heaven getting Tats and Gus on the wing. And a third line of Weiss, Helm and Sheahan.

This is a team that if things break right, we can win a cup. Really getting stoked for the postseason, still hoping against hope we get white hot and somehow win the division, draw Boston or Florida or Ottawa or anyone but Tampa or Montreal. Love for those two to beat each other to death and the Wings have a nice easy first round. Probably a bit too much to ask but either way you look at it I think Tampa and Montreal is really hoping to win the division to avoid us as well.....

@yave1964

It sounded to me like Kenny Holland confirmed your thought that Cole would be on Z's line, but I wonder if he meant with Gus rather than Abby. It seems that Cole and Abby play somewhat the same role--pest I front of the net that score the scrappy, dirty goals and retrieve pucks. Wouldn't it seem better to have a playmaker (Z/Pav), a scorer (Nike/Tats), and a goal pest (Abby/Cole) on each of our top two lines rather than the way you drew it up? Of course it would be just fine to mix it up to see if your way works. Whatever works is fine with me. I'm excited too!

@SpikeDDS

I can see it going either way, Spike.  Having those three capabilities rolled across our top two lines is certainly ideal.  However, I can also see these other two combinations as well.  Nike, Pav, and Tats on a "finesse" line that would leave the opponents just plain dizzy.  And Cole, Z, and Abby on a full-force, "Break-On-Through" line.  Either one will work, given the opponent.   

Either one will work, given the opponent.

That is the beauty of the pick-ups. Options that let Babs tailor our game to maximize effectiveness against each opponent. Given proper resources, Babs has the ability to coach with the best in the game. He's good at tinkering with lines that way, when he's got the players to do it. He is now properly equipped to maximize our potential. It doesn't guarantee a Cup, but it sure positions us to be more reasonably competitive for it.

Gonna be fun!

It may now be less necessary to put Pav and Z on the same line than it ever has since 2009.

@yave1964 @WingNut722

Turns out Babs likes your idea of Abby-Z-Cole instead of Nike-Z-Cole. That's how they practiced yesterday. Dunno if (and is so, how) you knew that, but you were right. I bow, once again, to your clairvoyance!

I won't be surprised AT ALL if Babs doesn't try it my way if the lines aren't working, but it would be fantastic if that isn't necessary.

As we were saying, the cool part is that now Babs can do either one, depending on how the opponent sets up or is playing at the time.

@SpikeDDS

I heard Cole interviewed on television after the trade, they were saying he is 36 and a big body but still skates like he is 26. I find that intriguing, Cole says he takes pride in his skating, he seems genuinely thrilled to be put on a line with linemates with some speed.

I spoke to a friend of mine who is a Stars fan who is beside himself that Cole was not resigned, he loves the way Cole hits, the way he gets back and keeps other teams from having odd man rushes when he is on the ice, he said that young kids like Garbutt and Roussel seem to stand around but Cole is smart and hits and was one of the fastest Stars players. Truthfully, when I watched the Stars he was not high on my list of players to study but I know he has nailed 30 plus goals before, he won a cup on Carolina, and his speed and hitting ability seem to be right up there with his snap shot.

I like Cole and Abby on the sides of Z with Tats and Gus with Pavel. It gives us a power line and a speed/finesse line. And I doubt there is a better third line in the game than Helm, Sheahan and Weiss. Cole gives us so many options.

Well, Wings fans got to see the positives and negatives of Zidlicky last night. Took a penalty that resulted in a goal against, then scored the game winner in OT. More often than not the positives outweigh the negatives, but he will have the occasional "Zidiot" night. Those nights should be limited with a better team around him though. I wish him nothing but the best in Detroit.

Well, Wings fans got to see the positives and negatives of Zidlicky last night. 

Yes he did show us his full range last night, didn't he?  I love that term - "Zidiot".  Did you make that up or has that been floating around Devils' Country for a while?  Babcock showed a lot of faith putting him out for the OT.  The Wings needed that extra point, and while he didn't play bad, Zidlicky did not have a spectacular night before then.  That formation looked really good though with Zidlicky, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Kronwall.  Kept control of the puck real well and it paid off.  

Yes he did show us his full range last night, didn't he? I love that term - "Zidiot". Did you make that up or has that been floating around Devils' Country for a while? Babcock showed a lot of faith putting him out for the OT. The Wings needed that extra point, and while he didn't play bad, Zidlicky did not have a spectacular night before then. That formation looked really good though with Zidlicky, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Kronwall. Kept control of the puck real well and it paid off.

Zidiot has been a nickname of his among Devils fans for a while. Sometimes he tries to do too much and it bites him (and the team) in the ass. And he takes some bad penalties. But when he's on, he can be fun to watch. He really is like a 4th forward out there. If you pair him with somebody who can act as a safety net for him, he'll be fine. He didn't really have that this year with the Devils.

Zidiot has been a nickname of his among Devils fans for a while. Sometimes he tries to do too much and it bites him (and the team) in the ass. And he takes some bad penalties. But when he's on, he can be fun to watch. He really is like a 4th forward out there. If you pair him with somebody who can act as a safety net for him, he'll be fine. He didn't really have that this year with the Devils.

That's kinda why I thought Babs might pair him with E. I'm not sure Smith fits that bill as well as E does.

But WTH do I know?

(not much)

Yes he did show us his full range last night, didn't he?  I love that term - "Zidiot".  Did you make that up or has that been floating around Devils' Country for a while?  Babcock showed a lot of faith putting him out for the OT.  The Wings needed that extra point, and while he didn't play bad, Zidlicky did not have a spectacular night before then.  That formation looked really good though with Zidlicky, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Kronwall.  Kept control of the puck real well and it paid off.  

Think he was licking his chops at trying to get that righty in on the PP, and I think it's even MORE important to have a lefty-righty back end when you're 4-on-3 than when you're 5-on-4. Didn't surprise me at all to see him out there.

And you're right--we controlled the puck really well during that 4-on-3...almost as well as the Rangers controlled the puck against us on the PP in the second! That was getting ridiculous! Howard saved our bacon. I think they had 3 lines play full shifts without the puck ever leaving their offensive zone!  :huh:

Hey guys, how did Cole look in his debut, what was his energy level looking like, how do you see him fitting in going forward in regards to power play time?  Thanks in advance, I added him for fantasy hockey and I'm hoping he gets some pp pts for me. Looks like he has some strong linemates 5 on 5....Zetts and Nyqvist are some awesome linemates...I figured he would be placed on a strong line, usually GM's want their new acquisitions to make a splash so they put them in a position to succeed right away.

@jammer2

Cole looked pretty good that evening.  He had a few slip-ups with the puck, but then so did everybody.  He skated well though and definitely shows promise once he gets fully integrated with his linemates.  He had the puck a lot, and wasn't afraid to crash the net.  As for power play, I can see him on the second unit screening goaltenders.

I watched an interview with Cole about a week before the deadline where he cracked up because he almost got run over by a Zamboni while being interviewed. He seems to be a genuinely nice guy who respects the game and can still play. First game jitters and all, he was okay but not spectacular.

To me the best part of having him on the team is he is a big boy who likes to hit but most importantly he he is still a really good skater which the Wings need with all the skill we have. Look at the mule, we are a better team without him than with, simply because he can be timed with a sundial and he cannot keep up with his much quicker linemates. Cole brings all of the Mules size and net front presence but without his slothlike skating ability. Great pickup and should be a great fit.

@yave1964

Mule may actually have better hands than Cole--his hands are his strength. But you're right that he is (usually) so slow that his lack of speed more than makes up for what his hands can do. What good are great hands if you're late getting where you could be for a great opportunity?

We haven't missed Mule almost at all.

Like Jimmy Howard, when he is playing good, he can be REALLY good. But when he is not playing well, he is simply a liability (Jimmy Howard not as bad here), but because of his contract and the hope that he might turn the switch to on for a spell, he's been on our top 2 lines, when--now like your description of Jurco--there are other players who can play his roles just about as well as when he is on, and MUCH more consistently. His days are numbered, if he can even return at all.

Archived